Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Slim Beauty Knot / Fg - Sebile Knot - for Mono to braid

44K views 48 replies 15 participants last post by  StriperJunkie 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Re: Slim Beauty knot

nope but the knot was easy, so I tried it on a 20lb mono to a 50lb floro leader and then tested it. It worked beautifully and alberto knots sometimes start slipping on me for some reason, but this doesn't. So I don't see why I shouldn't give it a shot this upcomming season. I also tried it on braid to a 50lb floro leader but it didn't work as well.

#7 ·

"I also tried it on braid to a 50lb floro leader but it didn't work as well." chrowski

do you think it would change the strenght of the knot if you tried doing the figure 8 with the braid or the mono/fluro when connecting the leader??

#10 ·

when you take the line and tie the double overhand knot, pull slightly and make it look like an 8........would the knot strength change if you did the 8 with the braid or the mono (i might still be saying it wrong, if so i'll just try an experiment with it myself and see if i'm retarded)

#14 ·

ok i tried it both ways.....if you do the figure 8 w/ mono (i suppose that would be the same for fluro) its good.....if you do it w/ braid you need to make another overhand knot in the tag end or the braid will slip out of the knot....also make sure you really seat that figure 8 once you pass the double line through

#18 ·

i never really thought about the slim beauty with braid as i don;t like any fluoro or mono tied to it other than the modified albright. the braid winding in and out of line and being real tight against it imo is asking for trouble as tension may cut through the mono inside and weaken it. i usually change the albright on my line after an evening of decent fish and sometimes after a really good fight. mono or fluoroicarbon should feel and appear fresh [as in not old and brittle] i believe this could be a reason some people perceive some knots as troublesome as it is tied to inferior line. this goes for all knots as key elements to success as we all know are fresh line leader and sharp hooks. anything else is either mechanical or boneheadedness.

#19 ·

I have been using the overhand knot with the improved clinch for braid to mono so far without any problems. Its kind of like a simple modified slim beauty without the 10 wraps in each direction. I use a double overhand on the mono and wrap the improved clinch towards the terminal end of the mono according to the diameter of the braid. Usually 10 - 12 wraps.
No real big fish on it yet but several Gorilla bluefish and a couple of mid to high teen fish.
Zim and I will do a strength test on that knot soon to see if it slips.
Ill use his ugly stick and tie the knot to his car bumper. We'll see which one gives out first.
RT - but Zims point is well taken. The best one likely is the modified albright or the alberto knot as both he and others have said many times. That one is tested true on large striped bass.
Having said that I will point out that the slim beauty is also used for tarpon and snook anglers for braid to mono.
http://www.anglers-outlet.com/slim_beauty_knot.htm
Theres nothing like having confidence in your knots.

#20 ·

then by all means use it with braid. if it is tested true, why not. i was sceptical about it but not anymore. i kinda wondered how you would tighten it after the fig.8 was clinched but i see he waits to lock it at the final moment (or at least it appears that way) i will do it and we can test them both but i wanna strap it to your wader belt and have you mush like a drunken saint bernard after a sea robin.

#24 ·

from that video it appears something went terribly wrong while someone was teaching their kid to fish.......dad stood too close while letting hte tyke cast?? or maybe he let the kid hold the rod while putting some bait on the hook......"daddy, look a butterfly!!".......ouch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.