Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Battle II 8000 - want to go lighter

6K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  hunter12 
#1 ·
I have a BII-8000 wound full of 20# mono and I’ve found that it’s been a real bear to cast. I use lures, haven’t tried bait yet.

I’m wondering about dropping down to a 6000 or some other brand to save my arms, but still have good salt protection, enough mono line capacity and be well suited for the Battle 10’ rod that came with my 8000.

#2 ·
I'm using a Shimano Spheros 6000 SW, amongst Many others and is a joy to cast All day, I am also a "Lure" guy. If your not dunking your reel I would also suggest a Diawa BG 5000. Is this for the Hudson or Surf ?

#3 ·
Heavy mono never works well on a spinning reel. Try 30# power pro braid and drop down to 5000 if not smaller for heavy casting. I have a BII 2000 series with 15# PP for light tackle. Casts a 3/8oz lure 50yrds+. Use a flouro leader about 3' long in clearer water. Uni to uni knot from braid to flouro keeps the weeds off a little better.

#5 ·
Steel, What size rod do you have. For mono I use a 5000, to 6000, series size reels for rods 9' to 11' . Casting plugs I Use a 9' rod with a Penn BTL 5000 spooled with 17# mono. Fishing with plugs at IRI DE i use a 9' rod with a Penn BTL 6000, spooled with 20# BBG. For surf fishing casting bait, I like rods 10' to 12' . 10' to 11' I use 6000 size reels with mono. 12' I use a conventional reel for bait n 8. I only use braid on a 10' rod rated 3/4 to 3 oz for smaller fish. Hope this helps.Tight lines.

#7 ·
Great rod for the money. I have the 12' conventional I use for small sharks and Bull Reds. What's the lure weight on your rod. If your just casting plugs with it I would go with a reel in the 5000 size with 15# to 17 # mono if your using mono. Braid I would go with a 4000 size reel. If you use it for bait , I'd go with a 6000 size for mono, 5000 size for braid. Remember this is what I like, Others might use a different size reel. I like to be a little over gunned with my equipment. Now I'm not a braid guy,I use mono on all my reels. I only have one rod for small fish or who ever takes the bait that I'm trying braid on. Other 3 times I tried it , But a lot of fisherman love it. I didn't like it. Tight lines.

#11 ·
I have a BII-8000 wound full of 20# mono and I've found that it's been a real bear to cast. I use lures, haven't tried bait yet.

I'm wondering about dropping down to a 6000 or some other brand to save my arms, but still have good salt protection, enough mono line capacity and be well suited for the Battle 10' rod that came with my 8000.
I have been using a Penn Battle 5000 teamed with a TICA 10.5 rod. I spool it with Power Pro 20 braid. It makes casting distance so much better. The braid is tough, just be careful when casting that you don't cut your finger. I have been using a Gamakatsu single finger glove that works great.

#12 ·
Steel, First, have you ever used braid before. I did not care for it the first 3 times I used it. It's not as tough as Mono, scales and rocks will cut it easy. It will cast further than mono and you will detect bites a little better. But remember , surf fishing you don't want to cast beyond the fish. Now , I bought a Shimono 5000 xg for a 10' surf rod rated only to 3 oz's . I'm going to give braid 1 more chance. This rod will be for smaller fish, Taylor Blues, dink stripers and Whiting, also the occasional big fish. All my reels have BBG on them. Oh yeah, you wont get any wind knots in the Mono. Braid yes.:flyfish:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.