General, Chunking, and Bait/Bottom Fishing Questions
Hello, I am new to the area and plan on fishing around West Point / Cornwall area over the next few weeks. This is a little different from Iowa!!!!! I am in the army and don't have as much time as I would like to fish and I am a little unclear about where to start.
I have some questions about how to do the bottom fishing.
1. With the blood worms or (bunker/herring) chunks, do you want them on the bottom or a little off the bottom?
2. If it is off the bottom, how much and how do you get the bait there (fishfinder rig with a float or a slip-bobber)?
3. What do you all look for when you decide to anchor up and bottom fish?
I also have some general questions:
1. Would anyone recommend using Berkley Gulp Cut-Bait strips on the bottom? What about Gulp Blood worms?
2. What size hooks do you use for the blood worms?
3. Early and late do the stripers come close to shore?
4. Do they hit at night?
5. Do a lot of fish spawn around West Point?
6. Do the stripers come up in the water column under low light conditions?
7. What depth would be good to start looking for fish?
8. What general cover or bottom charachteristics are good to look for?
I know that this is a lot of questions. I am just looking for a place to start.
Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!
Heavy hook sets and solid knots...