Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Please help me catch a striper!!!

Tags
catch striper
4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Tucker Bedard 
#1 ·
I go fishing in both rhode island and connecticut from shore and on my boat. The beach i go to in rhode island is called quonny beach and is right between the quonny salt pond and the ocean. There is a channel that leads from the pond to the ocean and i have seen people catch stripers at the mouth of this channel. Unfortunately to me it seems like everyone is using different baits and different rigs. There is also a lot of rocks and snags at the end of the jetty we fish off of and whenever i try to fish off the end i get snagged. I have tried squid and sandworms so far. I have tried rigging them with the weight at the end of the line and the hook going off a fishfinder swivel with a few feet of fluoro-carbon in between. Also i have used a three way swivel with the weight attached to the swivel and the hook coming off of another part with thirty pound test fluoro-carbon. Both ways i have snagged and lost tackle. We have tried plugs, soft swimbaits, spoons, diamond jigs, and rapala/bomber type lures. From the boat we have tried bunker sandworms and squid we have fished at millstone, bartlett's reef, fisher's island, twotree island, and various rock piles and things. We have also tried trolling with eel tubes with sand worms on them. We have tried wooden and plastic plugs, soft swimbaits, bucktail jigs, diamond jigs, spoons, and rapala/bomber type lures. We have had luck with blues and pogies off the boat and shore but the stripers keep eluding us. Is there some bait that will help or some kind of lure i should use or maybe a new way to rig it or something? My dad and i are pretty new to striper fishing so any help would be appreciated. Thankyou!

-Tucker

See less See more
#2 ·
Tucker,

Not sure I can 'help' but from the sounds of it, the stripers just aren't where you are fishing or possibly whatever you are throwing at them is too high in the water column (that's why you're catching blues instead) or perhaps you're not matching the hatch. There are a lot of reasons for not catching but generally if conditions are right, i.e. weather, tides, and you're throwing what looks closely to bait in the water, you should be getting stripers. I personally only throw flies or plastics to stripers and they both work IF all other conditions are right. For example my best night ever was only two weeks ago throwing a white fluke with a red jighead into a rip I always fish from the beach. Largest of the night was 33" and several others were over 30". Since then, I have only managed one more at 28" and schoolies and the latter haven't appeared every time out. What's the difference? Well the water warmed up considerably in the last couple weeks and stripers have moved further out from the beach. The big blues have arrived in the last several days meaning if there are stripers, they are deeper in the water column and to catch them you have to get past the blues but I don't as the latter are fun to catch. So there are a lot of reasons, persistence will pay off though!

#5 ·
First of all Ike to thank you guys for the advice and I have tried live eels. Maybe it is just needing to get the bait deeper because it seems we see people near us catching fish even using the same bait I'm going fishing tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.