Stripers247.com Forums - View Single Post - High tide shore fishing the Hudson-night vs. day? Depth?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2006, 09:17 PM
Lunker

Default Re: High tide shore fishing the Hudson-night vs. day? Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorebound
While I understand it is generally the hour before and hour after high tide that is the preferred time to fish for Stripers on the Hudson, I'm curious if anyone has an opinion on if it is worth it to fish from shore at those times when the high tide coincides with the bright, sunny parts of the day? An employee of Ceely's Bait Shop mentioned something to me about the stripers' eyes, that their pupils are unable to constrict in reaction to increased brightness and that this affects their daytime behavior, perhaps driving them into deeper water at such times, making areas like shallower flats less desirable. I know of some areas where the water gets pretty deep right off shore, but not as deep as those areas accessible by boat. Just figured I'd throw this question out to the Stripers247 community, thanks for any input!
Shorebound, On Sunday when we were out, had a lot of chatter on the radio and a lot of guys were catching fish in only 7 feet of water and it was 9 a.m. in the morning with bright sun. Go figure, I guess the stripers were laying in the warmer water. Yeah I know, it doesn't make any sense. You would think they would head for deeper water on a bright day. I don't know. I'm still learning just like everyone else is I guess. I'm beginning to believe more and more that technique and a lot of luck go hand in hand.