to UPLOAD: please register or login

Jerry Vovcsko

First dunked a worm in Otsego Lake (upstate NY) some 68 years ago and began pursuing striped bass in Cape Cod waters 40 years ago. Pretty soon I should be able to get it right...maybe.

Search This Blog

August 24, 2012

A Most Dangerous Game

by Jerry Vovcsko

In the ever-expanding category of "Stuff I didn't know", the Bureau of Labor Statistics ranks commercial fishing as the deadliest job in the United States. And even though lots of people assume (thanks to reality TV's "Deadliest Catch" featuring Alaskan crab fishermen), the most dangerous fishery actually is in the northeast waters of the U.S.

August 16, 2012

Sharks Are Pelagic Creatures and Water Temps Influence CC Canal Success

by Jerry Vovcsko

Cape Cod beachgoers at Newcomb Hollow Beach spotted a 12-foot shark close to shore last week. The cluster of seals in the area probably drew the shark in for a chance to peruse the seal-menu before making his selection but whatever the reason beachgoers were impressed.

August 11, 2012

This Ain't Kansas, Toto

by Jerry Vovcsko

The August doldrums. Hard to tell if they're here or not, what with the passing thunderstorms often accompanied by sporadic micro bursts punctuated by lightning, thunder and wind gusts that threaten to recreate Dorothy's mid-air excursion with Toto and that cackling old biddy on the broom.

August 05, 2012

Atlantic Salmon Restoration Project Hits the Wall

by Jerry Vovcsko

According to a story in today's Boston Globe, almost 50 years and more than $25 million after it began the federal government is giving up on restocking the Connecticut River with Atlantic salmon.

August 01, 2012

Is That a Fin I See Over There?

by Jerry Vovcsko

You can bet the fax machines at the Cape Cod Chamber of Commerce are heating up these days. The Chamber's legions of PR flacks are no doubt working overtime trying to convince tourists the beaches are safe and all those vicious rumors of rampaging great white sharks are just that: rumors.
You must login to post a comment.

User Name
Password

Need an account? Register here!
© 2011 Noreast Media, LLC | Terms of Service | Contact Us | Advertise