to UPLOAD: please register or login

Capt. Johnny Luchka

Capt. John operates Long Run Fishing Charters out of NY and NJ and has appeared on numerous TV shows and speaks at many boat and fishing shows

Search This Blog

April 14, 2012

Rigging the Kayaks

by Capt. John

I figured I'd get serious and venture out beyond the boat and get a little closer to the water so I've recently brought home a Hobie Outback and a Revolution 13 both with mirage peddle drives. The Outback has a broader platform and is a very stable kayak whereas the Revolution 13 is sleeker and will allow me to punch through the waves when launching off the surf.
Having fished from the boat, surf, and from docks my whole life, I've dabbled with Kayaks and caught Fluke, Stripers, and a few other species but from very basic kayaks and getting behind the peddles of a Hobie has really made me enjoy fishing from a whole different perspective.
I had the opportunity to rig the Kayaks with the Hobie representative and the team from Jersey Paddler in Brick, NJ which is not far from the Manasquan inlet. We took time to carefully mount the transducer, the battery, the ram mounts for the rod holders and the fish finder. We upgraded the the rudder to a sail rudder and went from the standard fins to the "Turbo Fins", and it's like going from a 4 cylinder engine to an 8!
Extra rod holders were strategically placed along with leashes and tethers because you have to rig it to flip it as they say. Tackle accommodations, PFD's, a waterproof VHF/GPS, and a safety flag with a light were included and I have yet to consider which rods and reels to consider. This was day one and the fun part was loading both to the roof of my Ford explorer and that was easily done with Thule racks and straps. Since the Kayaks weighed less than 65 pounds, they are slightly cumbersome but I was able to easily lift them to the roof rack face down for the ride home.
I worked diligently the past week to clean out the garage, also known as the man cave and walking in with a a 13' and a 12' kayak had my wife speechless. Tomorrow I'll launch off the NJ Surf to get in on the wild Striper action as the bunker and herring are here and next weekend they will make their debut on the Western Sound.
You must login to post a comment.

User Name
Password

Need an account? Register here!
© 2011 Noreast Media, LLC | Terms of Service | Contact Us | Advertise