to UPLOAD: please register or login

John Skinner

John Skinner is the author of Fishing the Bucktail and A Season on the Edge. He’s the creator of the fishing log software FishersLog. He’s a consistent producer of trophy striped bass and holds the current New York State false albacore record.

Search This Blog

December 31, 2012

So much different. So much the same.

by John Skinner

A giant fish scale along with some destroyed swimshads and straightened hooks sitting on the back seat of my rental car - these were the products of a successful night of tarpon fishing from the shore of a Florida Keys channel on my recent trip. This blog entry isn't entirely about Florida, but I'll need to start there.
I would say that the tarpon fishing was "off", but I didn't have a right to because I simply didn't know enough about it. The first night produced five brief hookups, three of which threw the lure in the air, and two others lost thrashing on the surface. For a day that started before 5 a.m. and included a 3-hour flight and a 190-mile drive, this was a great start for the 2-hour effort of prime tide. Given that this was December, and I was dealing with the resident Florida Keys tarpon rather than the big schools migrating through in the spring, I wasn't sure what to expect. The next night yielded zero hits, then only a couple hits each night over the next two nights. I lost them all, usually on jumps, but that was tarpon fishing. I've heard that the average is about one tarpon landed for every ten hooked, and most of that is on boats. I believed it. I was something like 3 for 34 from shore on my April trip. The slow tarpon fishing didn't bother me a bit because my daytime kayak barracuda trips on the flats exceeded expectations, and I figured any tarpon hookups at all were only icing on the cake.
The first few days were very warm. The car's thermometer never went below 77, even pre-dawn, but the highs were a manageable 85. The fourth day of the trip was different. A cold front, if you can call 70 degrees "cold", came through on a 20-knot northeasterly. I stayed off the flats that day and bucktailed jacks and mangrove snappers at one of the bridges instead. My first clue that the tarpon situation was about to change should have been that afternoon when I went to the channel where I had been tarpon fishing at night. I was still focused on mangrove snappers and jacks when I felt a "nice fish" on the end of the rod I use casting for fluke at home. All sorts of expletives flew from my mouth as I watched an easily 100-pound plus tarpon launch into the air as if it were on one of those Saturday morning fishing shows. I knew I didn't stand a chance with the light rod, and sure enough the fish went through the 25-pound test leader on the next breath-taking jump. It was a shock considering I was unable to produce a single hit standing in that same spot the two previous nights.
That night was the first that I wore a long-sleeve shirt. After several days of warm weather, the windy 70-degree night felt downright chilly. I had my timing down and arrived at the very first sign of the ebb current, which was a little hard to detect in the choppy, yet gin-clear water. As I slid the swimshad toward some structure I buried the hook on a hard jolt. In a split-second I had a respectable winter tarpon in the 40-pound class in the air, and then in the water, and in the air again. The third time was the charm for the fish, which left me with only the internals of my swimshad after the last jump. I tied another one on quickly and repeated the delivery. This hit was harder than the first, and again I was dealing with an airborne fish. After the fourth jump I realized that this one was likely hooked well and I focused on getting down the rocks to a pre-determined landing point much like I would when striper fishing a jetty. This was a small one, lucky to break 20 pounds, but I was happy to grab the leader while it was still hooked. I was in again on the next cast, and then again and again as mostly 30- to 40-pound tarpon beat on the swimshads. The highlight of the night was landing one of the larger tarpon after a nearly 10-minute jump-filled battle. Not wanting to stress that fish further, I passed on trying to get a picture, but it left me a scale on the rocks as a souvenir.
The relative chill in the air, stiff wind, and intense bite reminded me of so many nights of striper fishing when the wind, tide, and water conditions combined to turn on previously uncooperative fish. In striper fishing, I think I understand the feeding triggers and can anticipate them to some extent. It's what allows me to do pretty well on a consistent basis. In tarpon fishing, I'm clueless. I can guess only that the cold-front triggered a bite. I don't see why it would have been temperature related, since the water temperature was already on the lower end of the tarpon's preferred range. The water was definitely rougher than previous nights, so could it have been an oxygenation issue? Each night roughly 5 boats would pass through the channel within casting difference. Likely due to the wind, there were none this night. Did the lack of disturbance put the fish in a better feeding mood? Was there something bait-related about the bite? Maybe the weather pushed some baitfish through that were a good match for my swimshads. Or did the weather rid the water of a smaller bait that distracted the tarpon and interfered with my previous efforts? It's possible. On the nights the fish weren't hitting, I saw an occasional flash in the lights as a tarpon turned to hit something that I could never see. At the end of the last slow night, I got curious enough to try something different on a few visible tarpon. I put a 3-inch Gulp shrimp on a 1/2-ounce fluke jig and flipped it into the current. It lasted less than 5 seconds before it disappeared into a brown shadow that turned into a bright silver flash as my line tightened. On the last nights of my trip, when the tarpon fishing slowed again, I got smart enough to target the tarpon with the Gulp shrimp on some high-quality jig hooks. Even on the 80-pound leader material, a few tarpon still hit these jigs while they ignored the swimshads.
The point of all of this is the need to keep at it through the slow times and be a keen observer. With time, you'll acquire an understanding of fish triggers and be able to anticipate bites. I hit the good tarpon bite because I was simply going to fish every night I was in Florida no matter the conditions. It was a brief brute force approach of trying to be in the right place at the right time. Outside of vacations, few of us can fish every night, so the understanding and anticipation part becomes that much more important. The second point is to be careful not to lock yourself in to a particular offering. This would be a no-brainer for me when striper fishing. In this different setting of being inexperienced with the tarpon, I clutched on too firmly to what worked so well for me on previous efforts, and likely missed some opportunities because of that. I know better now, but I should have known better then. There sure is always room for improvement.

The smallest tarpon that I hooked. A "baby" at probably less than 20 pounds, but still plenty of fun on a December night.

A pair of kayak barracuda videos. A pencil popper from my surf bag was my hot cuda lure.

December 13, 2012

Jumbo Kayak Cuda!

by John Skinner

Having a blast with the flats barracudas. Hit this extra large one this morning. It bit through the plug! It's not a floater anymore. They're really awesome gamefish in the shallows. My night tarpon efforts are not so good though. There are some around, but not in the hitting mood.

December 11, 2012

Fun in the Sun

by John Skinner

I've been wanting to catch some big barracuda on the flats since I made my first Keys trip last April. Spent hours yesterday before I even saw one, then the few I found just wouldn't hit what I was throwing, including the green cuda tubes that are a standard down here. This morning I dug into my surf bag and pulled out a green Cotton Cordell Pencil Popper. That was the ticket. Landed six. Some of the jumps and hits were awesome. Lost 5 tarpon last night. Will try another tarpon spot tonight.

December 02, 2012

16 Bluefish?

by John Skinner

16 bluefish – that's how many I caught in 2012. It's worth noting that I target bluefish only when they're big and on the beaches, but that means I almost never target them, because with the exception of October 2010, I don't recall seeing big blues on the beach in the last five or more years. Even though I don't fish for them, I'm fishing the ocean, bays, and Long Island Sound at least 120 times per year and I do enter the by-catch blues into my fishing log software. When I pushed the "Plot All Fish" button against the 2012 season, that's when I realized my bluefish catch was so low. Then I had to look further to realize that all but two of those blues were caught in May. Running the queries against 2011 and 2010 showed 53 and 115 bluefish respectively. So are bluefish in steep decline? Not according to the stock assessments. I wrote a similar blog entry a year ago and posted the abundance graphs for blues and stripers at the bottom. You can find that blog entry here.
I just re-read what I wrote a year ago, and found the tone to be a lot more optimistic and faster to explain away the decrease in bass and bluefish action on our beaches. But over and over again I'm having the same conversations with very well respected anglers. When I commented to one of them recently that the inlets have "more guys and less bass". He stopped me firmly and said "No! There are more guys, but A LOT fewer bass." He could have added that those fish are smaller on average, and have been correct on that too. His comment that he was thinking of "selling off plugs while they're still worth something", may have been a joke, but I'm not so sure. I was in my basement looking for lures to take to The Keys next week and I came across about 30 brand new assorted bottles, darters, needles, and poppers still in their original packaging. They're unlikely to get wet anytime soon since the ones hanging from the ceiling have seen so little action the past couple of years.
Now I'm not saying there are no opportunities for good fishing. I'm not even going to complain about my striper catches the past few seasons because they're fairly respectable and there's no question that 2012 was short-circuited by Sandy. But my catches are almost entirely on methodically worked structure, at night, on eels and bucktails. What I miss are the runs of fish all along the Long Island Sound and ocean beaches. I frequently look at the Sound off the top of the bluff in Wading River and can say honestly that I do not recall seeing a single school of feeding fish anytime this past year. Just ten years ago fish used to grind down those beaches every fall, and it was not uncommon to look at the water in May or June and have to run home to grab a rod. If you went to those beaches in the spring after dark you could find the fish with your ears. I still hit the beaches after dark because it's convenient, and it's been a long time since I've heard a "pop". Many trips are just downright sterile.
Something I found very depressing in 2012 was the Long Island Sound fluke run in the area that I fish between Shoreham and Mattituck. It started off just fine with quick limits of quality fish, but I was alarmed from the beginning that the boat was coming home so clean instead of being caked with sandeels as is usually the case. By the second week of June the keepers were gone, despite the legal limit being dropped to 19.5 inches. In nine fluking trips with my boat I saw a grand total of 4 sandeels. What scares me is that these things typically run in patterns, and from my observations sandeels are in decline. I salvaged the fluke season by fishing the South Shore Bays, which were loaded with fluke.
So I'm left confused. With few exceptions, the beach fishing for blues and bass is way off, yet the stock assessments are fine. Maybe it's the stock assessments that are way off. There's no way for anyone to know that. I just hope 2013 is better than 2012. Let's try this reasoning. 2010 was not that long ago, and we had very good fishing on the ocean beaches in October and November. Tropical Storm Irene dumped a huge amount of freshwater into the surrounding waters in 2011 and messed up that year's fall run for Long Island, although New Jersey anglers did fine. Sandy was a storm of historic proportions that caused everything to head for deep water and migrate out of the area, so that gives us an excuse for the fall of 2012. We'll catch a well-deserved break from freak storms in 2013, and everything will be fine and I'll be reaching for those brand new plugs that have sat for years in the packaging. It never hurts to think optimistically, I just wish I felt more optimistic.

You must login to post a comment.

User Name
Password

Need an account? Register here!
© 2011 Noreast Media, LLC | Terms of Service | Contact Us | Advertise