to UPLOAD: please register or login

John Skinner

John Skinner is the author of Fishing the Bucktail and A Season on the Edge. He’s the creator of the fishing log software FishersLog. He’s a consistent producer of trophy striped bass and holds the current New York State false albacore record.

Search This Blog

October 19, 2014

An Old Man and a Big Fish

by John Skinner

The old man on the cover of this week's Fisherman Magazine is my 89-year-old father, Bob Skinner, and the big striper weighed 56 pounds at Caraftis Fishing Station in Mattituck. He boated it on a live eel, which he trapped himself. For those who would like to be that active and productive while pushing 90 years old, my observation is that this was accomplished with a pretty steady diet of butter, red meat, fat, and sugar. I hope I'm catching stuff like that when I'm his age. Ask him where he caught it and you'll get a pretty vague "east of the inlet" answer, which probably means he was west.
Quite a cold front rolling in as I'm writing this. Combined with this week's cooler weather and New Moon, we will hopefully see a bump up in bass action along the ocean beaches, especially if the Montauk fish slide west. As usual, your best bet is to focus on dusk through dawn. We had lots of daytime bass action on the beaches last season, but that doesn't mean it will happen this year.
Judging by the posted reports, lots of people are fishing for blackfish. If you haven't tried targeting them on crab-tipped jigs with lighter tackle, now's a good time to try while they're still in relatively shallow water. Here are a couple of videos that might help if you haven't fished blackfish with jigs before.

You must login to post a comment.

User Name
Password

Need an account? Register here!
© 2011 Noreast Media, LLC | Terms of Service | Contact Us | Advertise