to UPLOAD: please register or login

John Skinner

John Skinner is the author of Fishing the Bucktail and A Season on the Edge. He’s the creator of the fishing log software FishersLog. He’s a consistent producer of trophy striped bass and holds the current New York State false albacore record.

Search This Blog

August 29, 2012

Penn Reel Closeouts

by John Skinner

There are some good sales out there right now on popular Penn SSg/SSm and Slammer spinning reels that are soon to be discontinued to make way for the highly anticipated Penn Spinfisher V series. The immediate question that comes to my mind is "Will I be able to get parts for the discontinued reels?" I posed that question to Penn Business Manager, Mike Rice, and his answer should be reassuring to anyone looking to take advantage of the sales. "10 years is the number we have agreed to internally. It's possible that some could run out in year 9, while others are in stock for 15 years." Ten years is a long time, but keep in mind that there's a good chance parts will be available for even longer by looking to local tackle shop stocks and online sources such as Ebay.
Something that was nice about the current SSg and SSm reels is that you could use spools from as far back as the original SS lines. For example, 550SS, 5500SS, and 550SSg spools are all interchangeable, which means that spools purchased on Spinfishers over 15 years ago work on today's Spinfishers. Given that the new Spinfisher V reels will have much larger drag washers and sealed drag systems, you'll be unable to interchange them with the older spools. I asked Mike about the projected price for extra spools, specifically about the price of an SSV5500 spool. I was pleasantly surprised at the very reasonable $37 quote.
The 3500-8500SSV reels are expected to become available in October, with the 9500, 10500, and Liveliner models due out in January. The 9500 and 10500 models are very large reels in the 38-ounce range that will probably see much more use as offshore reels rather than in the surf. A bailess model of the 6500 will be offered in 2013. Mike said they may offer other bailess models in the future depending on the demand for the bailess 6500.

August 18, 2012

Lobsters and Pestcides

by John Skinner

I'm not an environmentalist. Sure, I care about the environment, but when environmentalists come knocking on my door, they're politely asked to leave before they can push the latest petition in my face. My reaction to these groups comes from an aspect of my life unrelated to fishing that has allowed me to observe an "ends justifies the means" attitude that promotes misinformation and opposition to just about everything. I'm sure there are some good and honest environmental groups, but those aren't the ones I'm familiar with. Now that you know where I stand with them, you'll know I'm not pushing an environmentalist agenda here when I wonder aloud if our municipalities are killing Long Island Sound lobsters by spraying for mosquitoes.
This concept has been theorized for years, and I was always a bit skeptical because one word kept popping into my mind - "dilution". How could some spray on land get to a lobster 40 to 100 feet below the surface of Long Island Sound in any detectable quantities? In late July when I saw the Newsday headline "Mosquito pesticide turning up in lobsters", and read further, my skepticism was erased. Newsday reported that, in what was believed to be the first such finding involving local lobsters, Connecticut's Department of Energy and Environmental Protection found trace amounts of resmethrin, also known as Scourge, in at least three out of 10 lobsters tested, and methoprene in at least one.
The lobsters were collected in September 2011 from the mid-Sound after Connecticut lobstermen reported hauling up more dead and weak lobsters than usual. The study was released in early July. "We frankly didn't expect to find pesticides," Dave Simpson, the agency's director of marine fisheries, said. Scourge has been sprayed over Long Island to kill adult mosquitoes, which can carry West Nile virus. Methoprene briquettes have been placed in North Shore marshes and limited areas of Connecticut to stop larvae from growing.
I dive for lobsters. Up until the mid 90's, I could easily get my six-lobster limit with free-diving gear diving from the beaches between Miller Place and Riverhead. You could get your limit, go back to the same little rock caves about five days later, and get another limit. I ran out of ways to eat them and my freezer filled with them. The fishery crashed in the late-90's, and I stopped diving until my son became old enough to scuba dive in 2006. Those first few years diving with my son were nothing like the "old days", but we did OK using scuba equipment to hit very good structure. We usually grabbed between 5 and 8 keepers between us, and saw plenty of shorts. By 2010, we were happy to bring 3 home on a trip despite learning new spots, but we were still seeing shorts. 2011 was downright poor. We've made only two dives this summer, to our best spots, and have not even seen a short lobster. These dives were made before the heat waves and when the water temperature was still in the 60s.
Is the overall lobster stock in trouble? Not even close. If you Google "lobster war US Canada" you can read about the surplus of lobsters up North. This glut has driven down prices and caused tensions between Maine and Canadian lobster trappers. So might this be something else to blame on "global warming". Given that New York is on the southern end of the lobster's range, this sounds like a reasonable theory. Our waters are running warmer than they used to, and this has pushed the lobsters North. But let's forget about lobsters for a bit and consider another less desirable bottom inhabitant common to our area – the spider crab.
We usually see so many spider crabs on our dives that we don't even notice them anymore. They're not gone by any means, but these last two seasons we've seen a lot less of them. More disturbing is that we're seeing an unusually high number of dead ones. At one point in a June dive at Northville we found 4 dead ones in an area of about a 5 foot radius. Could this be warm water related? This is doubtful because the spider crab range extends all the way down to Florida and into the Gulf of Mexico. Given that crabs and lobsters are closely related, it seems reasonable that something that kills spider crabs would also kill lobsters.
While it's reassuring that the lobster population is healthy to our North, it's troubling that the Long Island Sound stock is in such bad shape. Now that pesticides have turned up in Long Island Sound lobsters, the possibility that pesticides are at least contributing to the downturn needs to be considered aggressively. One way to find out is to stop spraying and see what happens to the lobster population, but this will take years and is unlikely to happen out of concern of the spread of West Nile Virus. There's no easy answer to this one.

2006 - My son's first season diving. We had no trouble getting lobsters on beach dives.

Here's some video shot on a 2010 night dive in Long Island Sound. You'll see some lobster action here, but we can't even find shorts on this structure two years later.

You must login to post a comment.

User Name
Password

Need an account? Register here!
© 2011 Noreast Media, LLC | Terms of Service | Contact Us | Advertise