to UPLOAD: please register or login

John Skinner

John Skinner is the author of Fishing the Bucktail and A Season on the Edge. He’s the creator of the fishing log software FishersLog. He’s a consistent producer of trophy striped bass and holds the current New York State false albacore record.

Search This Blog

February 22, 2015

Icy Sound

by John Skinner

I finally climbed over the plowed up snow piles at the end of my street to get a look at Long Island Sound on Sunday afternoon with the little break in the weather. It's not as iced over as 1977, but it's the most ice I've seen since then. In '77 you could walk on it, and I've heard one story of someone walking about halfway to buoy 9 before coming to his senses and turning around. I also have a reliable report of someone with pictures taken on the ice at Buoy 7 in 1977. So far this year it's all moving ice flows. In scanning farther with binoculars I couldn't find any significant open water.
Obviously fishing is still a ways off, but over 1100 anglers enjoyed a bit of an escape at the Jersey Shore Surfcasters Surf Day on Saturday (the 21st). As always, it was a fantastic show and my congratulations and thanks go out to JSS for putting it together.
This coming weekend (February 27-March 1) is the New England Saltwater Fishing Show in Providence Rhode Island. I'll be manning a table all weekend and will give surf fishing seminars on Friday and Sunday. There are 60 seminars over the three days covering everything from fluke to stripers to tuna and everything in-between. It will offer another nice escape from this brutal winter. To learn more, check out the show's website.
February 22, 2015 - Wading River, NY

February 1977, Miller Place, NY

February 16, 2015

Surf Day Show - Saturday February 21

by John Skinner

I've attended and participated in many fishing shows and seminars over the years, and nothing I've seen compares to the annual "Surf Day" shows put on by the Jersey Shore Surfcasters. This year's show will be be held this coming Saturday in its traditional venue at Brookdale Community College in Lincroft NJ. For starters, there will be over 70 vendors with everything you can imagine in terms of surf fishing related gear and products. Kayak fishing is represented as well. There will be two main seminars. I'll be giving the first one early in the show, and Crazy Alberto Knie will wrap things up at the end of the day. These are 90-minute seminars presented in a room with two large screens. It's my favorite place to give a talk, and I'm really looking forward to having 90 minutes so that I can cover a lot of material at a relaxed and thorough pace while responding to questions and input from the audience. In between the main seminars will be two one-hour mini-seminar sessions when there will be four seminars going on at once in different rooms. The seminars speakers include DJ Muller, Bill Wetzel, Bill Jakob, and Jimmy Fee. In between the mini-seminar sessions will be an hour with four simultaneous workshops. Like a day when the fish are on multiple beaches, you'll wish you could be in more than one place at the same time. Here's the seminar and workshop schedule so that you can plan out your day.
The giveaways and door prizes for the event are numerous and top-shelf, including a ZeeBaas reel and Century rod, among many other great items. If you live on Long Island, your first reaction might be that Jersey is too far to go for a show. It's really not that bad, as it's just a little ways down the Garden State Parkway from Staten Island. Admission is only $10, and kids under 10 are free. As of this writing the weather looks clear for a change. You can learn more about the show from the event's press release or from its Facebook Page. I hope to see you there.
You must login to post a comment.

User Name
Password

Need an account? Register here!
© 2011 Noreast Media, LLC | Terms of Service | Contact Us | Advertise