to UPLOAD: please register or login

Captain Pat

Popular Connecticut boat captain, outdoor writer and striper fishing enthusiast, Captain Pat is well known for his innovative light tackle trolling techniques. He is the creator and owner of T-Man Custom Tackle, LLC.

Search This Blog

October 18, 2012

Togs-O-Plenty!

by Captain Pat "T-Man" Renna

This is the time of year all of my friends come out of the woodwork looking for me to take them out for a blackfish trip. No problem!! I love to go Tog'in!!
For the last couple years I have been lightening up my blackfish rods/reels and have adopted the spinning gear as my primary weapon of choice. Instead of the usual stout boat rod and bottom rig I have switched over to fishing for tog with lightweight jigs and spinning outfits.
By parallel parking your boat near rocky outcroppings or break walls you can fan cast the area with a jig and half crab combo. Cast to the base of the structure and slowly hop and crawl the crab back toward your boat letting the crab soak on the bottom for a minute or two between hops. Watch your line closely and be sure to set the hook at the first sign of a bite, not matter how slight the hit may be.
The 2012 black fish season opened up last week on the 10th and I have been out 4 times since then managing limits on 3 of 4 trips with fish to 9 pounds. The bite has been good in relatively shallow depths of 20ft or less. Get out there soon as the decent weather will be fleeting and the winds will cut your opportunities to get on the salt in half.

Comments (0)

Post a Comment

You must login to post a comment.

User Name
Password

Need an account? Register here!
© 2011 Noreast Media, LLC | Terms of Service | Contact Us | Advertise