to UPLOAD: please register or login

Rich Troxler

Rich grew up in Milford, CT fishing the local ponds and LI Sound. At 17 he left home to pursue music, always with a fishing rod or two in tow. He now lives on Long Island, where he works in electronics and has a full service woodworking shop.

Search This Blog

January 01, 2012

New Year's Resolutions, Fish Ladders & Winter Projects

by Rich Troxler

First off, I would like to wish all in the noreast community a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year. 2012 is upon us, and like every New Year, it usually begins with a hangover followed by a few resolutions designed to make this year better than the previous one. My primary resolution for this year is to get myself back into game shape.

Since my operation a few years back, I've let my self slide some and subsequently have gained about 20 lbs in the process. This year, I plan to rectify that situation, shed the 20 lbs and get my strength back. No easy task when you are less than a year away from 60, but then again I've always loved a good challenge and I don't like to lose.

With all this beautiful weather we've been having lately, I decided to start my resolution a little early this year and have gotten back to riding my bike every day, or just about. I've also purchased a stationary bike to pedal while I watch the Rangers games. In the past week I've pedaled my butt around most of my area in Patchogue, and in my journeys I noticed that they had put up a fish ladder connecting upper and lower Canaan Lake.

My understanding is that they are doing this to many of the lakes and streams that ultimately empty into the Great South Bay. In the coming years, it will be interesting to see what impact this has on fish such as Alewives, eels, and trout, and I applaud the effort and intent behind them.

The period after New Year's Day is also a time during which many of us get involved in various winter projects, some fishing related, some not. So while I was riding around on my bike recently, I got to thinking about what fishing related projects I wanted to embark on this year, and BINGO, it hit me. The perfect project that will serve two masters, a completely refitted FISHING BIKE!

Most of you know that I love fishing the west end bays, and most of you know that parking in that area is an issue. Some of you may have even heard about a certain law enforcement officer that has my number and has made me his personal project. In my younger days I used to take a more active role in "creating" solutions to the parking problems, but I'm just too tired of finding them blocked off, or filled in, to bother anymore. And most of all, I'm tired of being hassled for doing nothing more than fishing.

So a fishing bike is going to be the perfect solution. Not only will I be able to move around in the area without violating any laws, I'll be helping to fulfill my resolution for this year. It will also make me much more willing to spend the gas and make the 40 minute trip from Patchogue, knowing that I'll actually be able to fish instead of getting run off, or even worse, towed.

I have several designs that I'm exploring already and I just need to work out all the details before I decide which way I'm going to go. I'll want to carry two rods, waders, plug bag, a few small items like a cell phone, and plenty of Gatorade LOL. The one thing I haven't looked into yet is a bike rack for my Jeep, but I'm sure 10 minutes on Google will answer whatever questions I have about those.

I'm really looking forward to getting started. Good luck on your winter projects and a Happy New Year to all!
You must login to post a comment.

User Name
Password

Need an account? Register here!
© 2011 Noreast Media, LLC | Terms of Service | Contact Us | Advertise