Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 07-23-2007, 08:32 AM
in awe of real fisherman

Default How to spool braid?

Hi All,
Yet another question from me. Hopefully I can start giving back soon. I am hearing a lot of good things about braid and I used a friends reel once that had the spider wire braid on it and I really liked the feel. My question is how do I spool it up ona spinning reel. I have heard you have to use Mono backing to get it on the reel and that you should use a shock leader on the business end. Is this true? Assuming 20# test spiderwire green braid could someone give me some thoughts on a basic step by step level as to how to set that up from spool to swivel? Thanks!
Old 07-23-2007, 11:03 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: How to spool braid?

I put about 10 yds of mono on my spool ( via an allbright knot 21 turns) then I wet pack the braid, to do this, I half fill a 5 gallon bucket with water, I then put my spool of braid into it, I have a steel dowel that is the width of the bucket that I put through the spool, and drop the spool into the bucket, now I can pinch the braid between my fingers and fill my spool, the line packs tightly and is less likely to dig into itself...
Old 07-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Hi Colad,
What Roccus said

It is very important to use a mono backing under the braid, simply because without it the braid will slip on the spool rendering your reel useless when you have a fish on. I put just enough mono on the reel so that you can still fit at least 200-300 yards or so of braid on top of it, filling the spool to within an 1/8” or so from the lip. The amount of mono will vary depending on the size of your reel, but you don’t need much to provide the spool grip it’s intended for, anything more than that is just to save you money by partially filling the spool with a cheaper line than braid.

I use an Albright knot to join the mono backing and the braided line. The Albright knot is pretty easy to tie once you learn it and is great for joining two lines of different diameter.

Unless I’m planning to throw more than 4 or 5 ounces, I don’t use a shock leader and just terminate the braid with a swivel. If I do need to use a shock leader, I join it to the braid with an Albright knot coated with Plio-Bond (a waterproof pliable cement). The coating helps to protect the knot as it passes through the eyes during the cast and helps lock it together. Make sure your shock leader is long enough that it is wrapped a good 4 or 5 times around the reel when casting.

I’m sure others have different methods, but this has worked very well for me.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:12 PM
in awe of real fisherman

Thank you Both! this is great info! For the braid is a palomar knot still good to terminate with on the swivel? that is what I use now and it seems to hold up pretty well. Didn't know if that changed for the braid.

Thanks again!
Old 07-23-2007, 01:20 PM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Palomar works well with braid too. I tend to use a Uni most of the time for that, but a lot of guys really like the Palomar.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:57 AM
in awe of real fisherman

Ok,
Tomorrow is the night of braid for me. I have one last question. I have 20# braid with 30# fluro leader. Do most of you terminate the braid right to a barrell swivel and then tie a 18-30 inch leader to that? What about a snap swivel? Seems a snap would be easier to switch out leaders/lures?
Or do many of you just tie the leader to the line and just cut it when you want to change out?

any thoughts are always appreciated.

thanks!
Old 09-06-2007, 02:38 AM

That sounds about right but keep the leader closer to 30". I normally use a leader between 36" and 40"

I'm a duolock snap fan but only after it's been modified to help keep a big fish from opening it. Here's a picture (the modified snap is on the left) and a link to the thread that explains the modification

Click image for larger version

Name:	DuolockModification.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	3281

http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...lock#post58228

Also remember braid can cut you, especially if you've been fishing wet and your fingers are pruned up and soft and you're throwing metal or big plugs. Use some kind of finger protection. Some guys use various kinds of tape, I've always had problems keeping tape on when I'm out on a rock and getting beat by waves so I use the leather finger protectors you can get at most tackle shops

Name:  LeatherCastingGuard.jpg
Views: 13408
Size:  2.3 KB
Old 03-29-2008, 08:26 AM
Striper Hunter

I use 50# dacron for a backing it packs nicely on the spool.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:32 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitrunner View Post
Hi Colad,
What Roccus said

It is very important to use a mono backing under the braid, simply because without it the braid will slip on the spool rendering your reel useless when you have a fish on. I put just enough mono on the reel so that you can still fit at least 200-300 yards or so of braid on top of it, filling the spool to within an 1/8” or so from the lip. The amount of mono will vary depending on the size of your reel, but you don’t need much to provide the spool grip it’s intended for, anything more than that is just to save you money by partially filling the spool with a cheaper line than braid.

I use an Albright knot to join the mono backing and the braided line. The Albright knot is pretty easy to tie once you learn it and is great for joining two lines of different diameter.

Unless I’m planning to throw more than 4 or 5 ounces, I don’t use a shock leader and just terminate the braid with a swivel. If I do need to use a shock leader, I join it to the braid with an Albright knot coated with Plio-Bond (a waterproof pliable cement). The coating helps to protect the knot as it passes through the eyes during the cast and helps lock it together. Make sure your shock leader is long enough that it is wrapped a good 4 or 5 times around the reel when casting.

I’m sure others have different methods, but this has worked very well for me.

Would using some electrical tape on the spool and then braid directly accomplish the same as the mono backing? Friends have recommended doing this and then adding another piece of tape over the knot in case you were to get spooled.

Carious of your take on this before I go with it.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Old Salt
Team Leader
Pro Staff

(that's not what i said at the pier.(if that was indeed you) you missunderstood. in a pinch the tape would work but you better just use the mono like i said and albright the mono to the braid. mark how much braid you have on there now and spool mono up a half inch and then tie the braid with an albright knot to the mono and spool on the braid.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
(that's not what i said at the pier.(if that was indeed you) you missunderstood. in a pinch the tape would work but you better just use the mono like i said and albright the mono to the braid. mark how much braid you have on there now and spool mono up a half inch and then tie the braid with an albright knot to the mono and spool on the braid.
I'm located in San Diego and haven't gone pier fishing in almost 10 years. I'm more into jetty, surf and boat fishing.

I intend to spool up a brand new Penn Spinfisher 950SSm with 65lb braid (using Spiderwire Red, approx. 15lb mono diameter) and then do a 30lb topshot of mono. Hoping to grab some yellowtail this weekend.

Needless to say, your advise is good and considered.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Official Member

I've been using PowerPro and I really like it. Here's how I do it...

Purchase a 150yd spool of PP. On a medium sized spinning reel, wind on the PP directly to the spool, no mono. Then tie your mono backing to the PP with a Uni to Uni knot. Now wind on enough mono to finish filling the spool. Then strip all the line off onto a water bottle using a drill. Strip the line off of that water bottle and onto another water bottle using the drill. Now your Mono is on the outer wraps of the water bottle. Tie the Mono onto the spool using an arbor knot. Wind the line onto the reel using a rag or gloves to create tension while winding.

Using this method, I can have the perfect amount of line on the reel without wasting any of the expensive braid, and I KNOW I have 150 yards of braid on the spool to work with.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Old Salt
Team Leader
Pro Staff

i thought you were the guy i gave advise to at a pier near my work.
dump the spiderwire. you will be sorry.

where are you fishing with only 150 yds of braid?
Old 04-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Official Member

hi im new here just got into striper fishing last summer. and now im "hooked" anyway i went out and bought a penn captiva rod and reel combo (spinner reel ) and spooled it up with 110 yards of 20lb spider braid.
then read the site >.> now im unspooling today and adding a backing basicly my question is is 110 yards enough (plan on surf and boat fishing in the merrimack area) or do i need more and if so do i join another spool of line to that spool or should i just strip it and buy a bigger spool of line.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Lunker

welcome to the site,there are a lot of guys here who spend a lot of time on the water and reap the rewards.im not too familiar with your reel and its capacity, but i feel really confident that 110 yards is not nearly enough.you dont want to find out you dont have enough line when you are into a fish of size that cant be turned easily.an under filled spool isnt going to cast well anyway. drop a few bucks in your local b&t shop and have them spool it for you maybe. you will probably learn about the places you are interested fishing also.good luck and look around the site.lots of good stuff here for someone just starting out .