Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:17 AM
bigtimefisher12

Thumbs up whats the best way to catch big stripers

im asking this cause i cant catch and bass over 28inchs i wonna no a way to get biger bass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2007, 10:56 AM
Wishin i was fishin

Default Re: whats the best way to catch big stripers

I had started writing up a page long list of possible scenarios, but the more thought I put into it the more thoughts that pop in my head, there are a million ways to catch large bass, but it takes time. A friend of mine, and a friend of this board will tell you "bass don't read books" so if you're only catching 28 in fish...try something you haven't tried before, that's the best possible answer I can give you. It just takes time, you're not going to become a "cow slayer" overnight, it just will never happen. You could have 25 different responses to this question you just asked, but i guarentee you one thing........it takes time...a LOT of time, and a LOT of effort. Unless you go out with a charter boat captain that already has all the spots and baits and tides right, then you're just going to have to keep trying, if you're catching bass up to 28 inches it tells me that you're doing a lot of things right, and it will just take time to pay off. Try fishing at night time that's when most of the big ones lurk.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:57 AM
Lunker

Live eels
Bunker Chunking
Charter Boats
Big fish want big meals.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:57 AM

Where are you from? Surf? shore? Bait? Plugs? Need info guy..........
Old 06-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Old Salt
Team Leader
Pro Staff

fish with jim!
Old 06-26-2007, 09:01 PM
I am motherf*ucker

Put your time in and fish at night.
Quietly.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:31 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

spend about a week reading as many posts here and make sure you check out ALL the links on the main page...do a search and read EVERYTHING roccus has to say......then put in hours and hours looking for spots and honing your skills...the fish will get bigger...every reply so far nailed it...you have to put in buko time before the fish get big..consistentley...its good to find an experienced fisherman willing to show you a thing or two..they are out there..all you gotta do is put in time and be courteous to other fisherman and dont be afraid to ask questions..no matter how stupid you think they may be...most guys on the beaches will share a few tips..providing you dont step on thier toes and hinder thier fishing time..youde be suprised how old timers will share info to a newbie when treated with respect..nobody is a pro from day one..seasoned vets know that more than anyone...
Old 06-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Banned

Time on the water has been my best friend, find a spot with enough bait and hidding spots to support the slower moving large fish, fish at night, fish strong tides...but use the law of averages to your advantage. My largest this year is 42" it took from the end of april till last week to get that fish going 3-4 times a week. All the other larger ones i have caught have been between 32 and 39" and never on the same lures/bait.
Old 06-27-2007, 03:28 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

The "best " way to catch big fish is to fish where big fish live....

If your catching smaller fish you'll have to move... big fish wont compete with teen agers, they may not be far away, but they wont be mixed in ( most of the time, there are excetions to every "rule")

Big bait = big fish.... I've posted it on these forums a dozen times... it bears repeating.

Patients, you wont get any 100 fish nights fishing for cows, there are simply fewer of them to begin with....be willing to take a skunking now and again, try new spots, all stages of the tide.. and WRITE IT ALL DOWN!

Keep a log, even if you only fish for an hour, record everything... it all matters!

Be prepared, even when you take great detail in your tackle and gear, things can go wrong when 30 or 40 lbs of angry striper gets stung by a hook..... do the best you can to ward it off by checking leaders and line guides often, test and retest your knots, practice them at home, so you can tie them in the dark.... I get lazy and dont always do it myself, but usaly that is early in the season before I've "sharpend" my skills' and the serious hunt begins.. dont thiink about it.. just do it!

And to echo everyone else... put in lots of time....