Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Plugs and Plug Building > Step By Step Plug Making Tutorials
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 05-10-2007, 08:59 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Weapons of Bass destruction.

This will be a multipost, how to series thread.If youyr looking for my honey holes or exact locations, stop reading now, this thread is not for you, if your interested in one mans perspective on everything bass...ENJOY!
This thread will cover many how to's and answer many questions that are commonly asked , in this thread, I will attempt to cover all I know about Lures, baits and rigs, I will cover fishing from a boat and from the surf, I will cover (with pictures) Plug, lure ( including making your own tubes) and jig(lead heads) making, some Items I will link to past posts of how to's I have posted, others will be new, I plan on covering live well systems ,including building a 30 gallon portable live well ....
I will go through using wire line for trolling plugs and jigs, the use of lead core for trolling the tube and worm.

I will follow the seasons, from the spring run, to the summer doldrums to the fall run, this will be a sort of .log of my fishing so to teach how I adapt to each condition and season, I will cover and illistrate the trapping and capture of live bait, including mackerel and eels, I will show livelining methods I use to use these baits, I will go over the set up of my boat and explain (with pictures) exactly why I have things like I do, when my season ends I will go through the winterizing of the boat, step by step, I will show how to clean and re-lube a Penn 750 SS ,Shimno Bait runner 4500 as well as a Penn 49L mariner series...
I will illistrate (with pictures) how to repair a broken guide and tip..

So put on your reading glasses pay attention and visit the thread often, tomorrow will be the first part of the series, I will Identify various plugs, provide a brief history of some of them, paying homage to the great men that created them, I will then explain their intended use and explain what conditions I use them for.... this should be fun.
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2007, 09:57 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Default Re: Weapons of Bass destruction.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:21 AM
First Mate

I am sure that what ever you are about to post is going to be extemely helpful so let me thank you in advance.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:30 PM
Banned

Excellent Idea, because I lack the knowledge of how to track these fish!
Old 05-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Veteran

Old 05-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Veteran Elite

Roc where do you find the time????
I am not yet married but almost divorced because of my fishing addiction.
cant wait to see what comes up.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:03 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by smulax View Post
Roc where do you find the time????
I am not yet married but almost divorced because of my fishing addiction.
cant wait to see what comes up.

LOL.. I dont sleep much... never have.

Quick story than back to buisness..

When I got married, my family warned her that I was a fisherman like none she had known ( she figured how bad could it be, her brother fished) well the first year we were married I went went fishing night after night, there was a large school of jumbo bass holding on the flats... problemn was, they had a serious case of lock jaw.. so night after night i disapeared.. everynight the same result.. no fish, she confided in a friend that i surely had a girl friend, no man goes fishing 18 days in a row and catches nothing.. .. he told me her fears... I was to tired and frustrated by those fish to care about anything except them.. on the 21'st night, I floated a live green crab through that school of bohemoths and was rewarded with a 37lb "girl friend" when I arrived home I rolled back the covers and tossed my "girl friend" in bed with her... I proceded to the couch and had the best nights sleep in a month.... ( My son JBrotz24 can vouch for the story, his mother told it everytime she got drunk until I drove her to the luney bin 13 years latter)
Old 05-11-2007, 08:09 AM
First Mate

That's great
Old 05-11-2007, 09:24 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Surface plugs:
Nothing will get you blood boiling like the tail swapping surface strike of an angry bass intent on making a a meal or just destroying a streaking surface popper: The fist picture is top left to bottom pictured are an Atom Striper swiper, a pair of Creek chub striper strikes, a Yozuri chugger, a knuckle head, right side top to bottom, a large pencil popper, a large chugger, pencil, a reverse Atom style,a small pencil popper and a pair of little neck poppers.

Pencils can be used to cover ground quickly, they are worked rapidly and skip across the top leaving little disturbance.

Chuggers and standard poppers can be worked a little slower, sharp twitches of the rod tip create a bow wave and comotion that attract bass from a distance.

Revers style surface poppers IMHO are the most verasatile, they can be skipped across the top, or slowly swam across the surface... this is the only surface popper I will use at night.. I'm not saying you cant catch bass on a surface popper at night.... I just dont use them... It is my experience that everything slows down at night, bait fish want to be undetected, so slowly creeping around seems to be the best method of staying undetected, a streaking pencil popper would seem out of place.. thats just my take on it... your results could be different.

Surface swimmers: These are my favorite.

When Creek chub introduced the pikie (originaly as a fresh water bait) in the early 1900's they had know Idea how popular it would become as a striper killer,sharing popularity with Bob Ponds Atom-40 as maybe the best, most sucsessful striper lure of all time.

These plugs stay on the surface creating a large "V" wake that is noticable to hungry bass from a far distance, although they will, and do take large (and small) bass during the day, they realy shine under low light conditions and during the hours of darkness,pictured below in the second set, left to bottom are copies of those great plugs (all made by me)Top 3 are giant jointed pikies, the original was 14" long and weighed 4 ounces, below them are giant straight pikies, the bottom one is made stricly as a casting plug with special weighting.. this plug, because of it's unique nose design was stable in rough water and was and still is a favorite of vetran surf rats.. on the right hand side, the top two are copies of the original surfster, these plugs dig in nose down and tail high, thrashing the surface... what bass could resist? Under those is my own version, slightly thinner with a longer plane on the head, this plug exibits a little more roll and boarders being a sub surface swimmer, I designed this plug for those quiet back waters when everything is still and a large thrashing plug just is a little to obvious, under that is a danny style swimmer, this plug made popular by Danny pinkney and Donny Musso is capable of drawing large bass to the surface day or night with it's seductive side to side roll and "S" like swimming motion...Below them are copies of what could be the most popular plug ever... the 40 style, as I said before, created by Bob Pond, this plug may have been invented for fishing the Cape cod canal.. I've heard and read so many stories, I dont know what to believe.. I know this... they catch fish.. lots of them!

Below them are the sub surface swimmers, these plugs dip down under the surface and swim 1-5' below the surface depending on design.
First pictired on the left are a trio of goo- goo eye copies, the original made by Leo Cooper was responcible for Charlies Cintos one time world record 73lb striper...these plugs run down 1-3' depending on retrieve, they handle fast water well but can be retieved slowly along the surface leaving a "v" wake if desired, these are one of my favorite plugs to fish on wire line in a rip, especialy when pogies are about. Below them are a pair of Gibbs style swimmers, these are copies of the bullet nosed swimmer produced by Stan Gibbs To their right are a pair of jointed eels, they swim down about 3' on a slow retrieve...
Below them, a trio of darters, another surf fishermans staple, these thin strange plugs wiggle and dart side to side, at home in sloppy surf, or quiet back water coves, thye will swim down about 4-6' sliding side to side darting back and forth, ever watch a school of herring as they jockey for posistion amongst the ranks??? the action of the darter closely mimics that action.
poppers

swimmers

subsurface swimmers
Old 05-11-2007, 10:22 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Neelde fish..... When boone made the first needle fish, it was an instant sucess, it was a great big fish catcher, problem was the hooks were attached with screw eyes and they would loosten after each fish, Noted fishemen Danny pinkney and Donny Musso both made through wired versions that not only caught fish, big fish... but they lasted!
to many John Habreck is the modern father of the needle, his needles have probaly caught as many or more large bass as anyones...

Pictured below are a group of home made needlles, they vary fron large 3 ounce eel like needls to 5' "pocket rockets" weighing in at about 1.5 ounces...

needles for the most part have little or no life of their own, best fished at night, they often times are fished like a fly fisherman fishes a nymph, allowing the lure to drift with the current applying an ocasional twitch... needles come in different desigs, some sink like stones, these are best suited for fast or rough water, others are slow sinkers, these can be fished in calmer water with a slight bit of current, a faster retrieve will bring these to the surface where they can be fished almost like a pencil popper.. the last design I carry floats, this plug slides along the surface, often times coming through the water like a stick.. I've found this lure to be great in back water pockets, After the initial cast I allow the needle to sit on the surface, have a sip of coffee, then give the lure a slight twitch, then pause... Iwish I had a had a dime for every bass that blasted the needle on the second twitch.

deep divers... these babies work the depths, depending on the style they can reach as far down as 10' as in the case of the conrad.
First pictured are a trio of bottle plugs, these, depending on how long I make the lip can run down as far as 8', most average around 6', thye exibit a sexy wiggle and cast like bulletts making thenm a favorite of surfmen, below them are a trio of hand carved bunker, these particular ones are sinkers, the longer you allow them to sink, the deeper they run..
to their right are a pair of deep divers, they are simular in some ways, the top one is made of cedar, sporting a smaller lip, it relies on it's head as part of the dive plane, this plug tops out at about 6' below the surface, below it, is a simular design, the differance is in the weighting and the wood, it's maple, the plug also sports a home made dive lip that allow this plug to work the depth to about 12', below them are a pair of conrads, thes heavy plugs ( 5 ounces) sports a wide, raised swim lip, they are heavily weighted and also made of maple, good in fast water or off a deep beach, these plugs swim down to a depth of about 10'.

Plastics, no list of plugs would be complete with out a list of plastics, plugs like rebles, Rappala's and bombers top the list,latly yozuri has made some real fish catchers..
Top of the list is a pair of Rappala magnums, these thin profile plus are great trolling lures and account for some hefty bass each season, below them are a trio of Cotten cordell deep divers, these plugs are great for casting to drop off where the fish are luking down deep., to their right are a pair of oldies, but goodies, when bass are in close and casting distance is not a factor, these plugs absolutly slay them.. underneith them is a Rappala shallow runner, a favorite of mine for catching schoolies, no list would be complete with out a bomber, the black jointed bombers casts well for a plastic lure and it's action is second to none., next is a yo zurri swimmer,this is a great plug when bass are on sand eels, lastly is a Rappala huskey jerk, this versatile rugged plug has caught me some nice fish through the years, fished under the surface or twitched along the top, it's a great fish catcher..

Tuning: No matter how well made, most plugs can be made to swim a little better by tuning them.
Pull eyes, bending the pull eye up will make the plug swim a tad deeper, sometimes this is the differance in the plug breaking the surface in rough water , or swimming as intended, the opposite is true if you bent the eye down the plug will swim a little close to the surface.... small amounts of bending can make big differances.
On plastic plugs like rebels, they often want to swim to one side or the other, this often times can be corrected by bending the eye in the direction that it is swimming, the more natural the swimming motion, the better your chances of fooling a fish..
Swim lips: while most plug manufactureres dont rcomend bending their swim lips, some time a sharp bang on the rock can knock a plug out of kilter, or , some times they just dont swim right, in these cases make sure the lip is straight in line witht axis of the plug, if it is twisted, the plug will often do all kinds of nasties, bending the swim lip up will tend to make the plug run deeper, bending it down wit make it thrash the surface, by combineing the tuning of the pull eye with a SLIGHT bending of the swim lip, a plug can often times custom tuned to make it fit a certain water condition.

Next segment, bucktail jig making and soft plastic swim baits.
needles

Deep Swimmers

Plastic Swimmers
Old 05-11-2007, 10:42 AM
Official Member

Wow thats a great bunch of info, thanks. Do you ever use a heddon jumpin minnow or superspook. I have a little experience with those and they are my favorites. Actually it worked yesterday when the soft plastics were just getting half hearted strikes. Once again great info I will definitely add that to my arsenal.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:51 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Y View Post
Wow thats a great bunch of info, thanks. Do you ever use a heddon jumpin minnow or superspook. I have a little experience with those and they are my favorites. Actually it worked yesterday when the soft plastics were just getting half hearted strikes. Once again great info I will definitely add that to my arsenal.

I use a few spook type lures, but it would be impossible to list everything I use or even own, so I'm covering the basics.. there is alot more to come through out the summer so stay tuned.

If you read my post in the New england forum, aboout the schoolies back in the Mac, I had a simular problem with the short strikers oin the soft plastics, try stopping or slowing the retrieve and drop back the rod tip when you feel the peck, normaly thye will hammer it when you do this.....
Old 05-15-2007, 10:13 PM
Veteran Elite

Good stuff Roc!
I didn't see a Gizz4 in there?
Why haven't we sent you a few?
PM me your address if you're interested, Roccus!
God bless
LMJ
Old 05-16-2007, 07:09 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

more stuff coming tomorrow... building your own tubes and jigs and spoons..
Old 05-17-2007, 08:54 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Tubes... is it a fat long worm... or is it a starving eel.... doesnt matte rto the bass... bass and bluefish hit them and hit them hard... this bait is best trolled ultra slow, making it an Ideal 'yak lure....

they come in different sizes and colors, I like them blood red tipped with a worm, I've tipped them with pin eels,mackerel strips and squid with cucess... I;ve tried pork rind and never got a hit... still hard to beat a nice juicy worm!

tubes vcan be trolled on lead, wire, braid or mono, it all depends where your fishing and how deep you need to go....

here's a look at how I make mine...

To start, I buy a lengths of surge tubing( I bought mine a Surfland B&T), I prefer latex to vinyl..both work , I like the latex better. This tube will be 18" long, cut to length and cut the tail to make a point, leaving space for your hook in the tail.

this tube has an ID of 1/2", I use a 1/2 ounce egg sinker in the nose ( use a little dish detergant to help slip the weight in if needed) a #1 barrel swivel and a length of SS wire... I used .065, 303 ,1/8 hard temper wire but 304 or 316 wire that has been anealed will work just fine,
the tail hook is a 7/0 siwash, shape your wire to accept your tail hook and assemble, now slide your wire into the tube and push your weight in place, start the nose of the wire just like the tail, once the nose loop is formed, slip on the swivel and finish the loop...