Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Tennessee Stripers and Wipers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 03-27-2007, 07:25 AM
Wiper Guru

Default Cherokee Lake TN 3/22, 23,24

You could not ask for a prettier place to fish for hybrids. My wife and I met my son and his wife and we fished hybrids for three days. The lake was low but clear. The weather was in the upper seventies-middle eighties. Shad were on top. Conditions were right. Like last year, I expected to find the shad at the bottom with wipers on the edges of the sonar, but not this year. The water was in the upper fifties everywhere and nothing seemed to be on the bottom. Met and talked with Mickey (he's registered here somewhere) at Tom's Sporting Goods in Morristown. Great bait shop! It's one of those if-they-don't-have-it-you-don't-need-it shops. And yes, Jeff, they did have the Gizz4 on a rack near the front door.
The fishing was fun but not too productive. Ended up staying near mile marker 22 because that seemed to fit my boating needs. My daughter in law, as usual, outfished us all. My wife came in second. Got a 6 lb. large mouth, a 4 lb. large mouth, and a 4 lb. smallie. No fight to speak of, but good looking fish. Wife caught a 3.5 lb. largemouth. I got a 1 lb. striper. Also hooked up to several large fish that never made it to the boat. Tried larger hooks, different lures, etc., but could not get them to the boat. My son caught a couple of small stripers, too, and hooked several larger fish that, like mine, got off before we could boat them. I'm not sure why that was happening, but that was pretty much the weekend.
So, I'm ready to fish now that the weather is better back here in Indiana.
Oh! all the fish seemed to hit with any consistancy was gold Kastmasters.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Cherokee Lake TN 3/22, 23,24

Hey Slowretrieve
Well I hate that you did not catch any of the big stripers but it sounds like you and your family had a great time. I also enjoyed meeting you, hope you can make it back soon. Good Luck
Mickey
Old 03-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowretrieve View Post
Also hooked up to several large fish that never made it to the boat. Tried larger hooks, different lures, etc., but could not get them to the boat. My son caught a couple of small stripers, too, and hooked several larger fish that, like mine, got off before we could boat them. I'm not sure why that was happening, but that was pretty much the weekend.
Slowretreive, did you take the hook guards off? ;)
LMJ
Old 03-28-2007, 07:24 AM
Wiper Guru

Is that what those were, hook guards? No, I fished them weedless.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:27 AM
Wiper Guru

Hi, Mickey,

It was great being down there and good to meet you and the gang at Tom's. We did have a great time and the weather could not have been better. Actually, we did hook into quite a few of the big fellows, we just did not get them boated. That's odd. I was reading on an Eastern Tennessee board where guys were fishing Cherokee using planer boards and they said they kept hooking up, but the fish got off before they came to the boat. I think you folks in Tennessee may have an abundance of well educated fish on your hands. You'd better hope they don't get together and start comparing notes--you may all be in trouble.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Official Member

I was up that way last weekend a had some good luck. We fished up in the river close to John Sevier Steam Plant with Zara Spooks. Like always getting the hybrids to smack at the bait wasnt the problem it was hooking up with them. After spending a good time on the water I got about 25 blow ups and caught 4 hybrids. When the sun got high in the sky we trolled Rapala X-raps and caught plenty of whitebass, so all in all we had a great time on the water. There's nothing like seeing a school of those silver bullets tring to inhale a top water bait.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:05 PM
Veteran Elite

All joking aside, guys, I'd recommend you take your trebles off and put the next size bigger on, the shape and size of the lure may be keeping the fish off your hooks. We started off using #4's on the Gizz4, and switched to #2 mustad triple grip trebles, and man, the gap is wider, and the triple grip action keeps fish on, I caught 8 over 30" stripes at Ft. Loudon, did not lose a single hook up, I can't say I have ever lost a fish on the Gizz4. Not bragging, not saying it won't happen, but those mustad triple grips are great, when coupled with the slim body design of the Gizz4 lure.
I'd swap the trebles out and try again.
LMJ

Last edited by LittleMiamiJeff; 03-28-2007 at 11:09 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 03-29-2007, 07:35 AM
Wiper Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by badluk View Post
I was up that way last weekend a had some good luck. We fished up in the river close to John Sevier Steam Plant with Zara Spooks. Like always getting the hybrids to smack at the bait wasnt the problem it was hooking up with them. After spending a good time on the water I got about 25 blow ups and caught 4 hybrids. When the sun got high in the sky we trolled Rapala X-raps and caught plenty of whitebass, so all in all we had a great time on the water. There's nothing like seeing a school of those silver bullets tring to inhale a top water bait.
You are right about the pure pleasure of seeing wipers churning the surface of any body of water. What a joy! Glad you had a good time. I figure if I keep going down that way--I'll probably go back in early May--I'll narrow down my fishing to some productive spots. As it is, I wandered about and mostly enjoyed the luxury of warm sun and good company.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:48 AM

Sounds like a fun trip with the family...I bet that 4 lb. smallie was pretty!

— Jed Clampett
Old 03-29-2007, 06:46 PM
Wiper Guru

You're right about that, Slo. Pretty and a pretty good fighter, like all smallies. You been doing any damage to the Alabamy wiper/striper population?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowretrieve View Post
You're right about that, Slo. Pretty and a pretty good fighter, like all smallies. You been doing any damage to the Alabamy wiper/striper population?
Stripahs?!?...man, I'm all about drum and skipjack nowadays! Didn't I tell you? I'm absolutely killin' em!!
No serious damage as of yet, Slow...just a few here and there
sure hope that changes this weekend...LMJ is headed down to do a little fishing.
I may have to do like my inshore guide down at Orange Beach...when the fishing is tough, he tries to turn the trip into a nature watching tour "hey, look at that (osprey,,,dolphin,,,seagull,,,dog,,,,,,anything)"

— Jed Clampett
Old 03-30-2007, 12:17 AM
Veteran Elite

Let's be positive about this, Slo! :)
All I have to do is look at the map, you're surrounded by water!
We'll catch fish, or is it the 8 hours on the road, and the coffee talkin'?
LMJ
Old 04-03-2007, 07:44 AM
Wiper Guru

They are not moving much up here yet. That long, cold winter seems to have slowed things down.