Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-02-2017, 08:15 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Current upper hudson water conditions?

Hi all, could anyone provide me with current condition of albany area? Currious how last nite's rain affected the river as I would like to call in sick to work tomorrow!
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2017, 08:49 PM
First Mate @ Ace Charters

Default Re: Current upper hudson water conditions?

Honestly... we are screwed! That rain did some good hurting on the fishing.
Now there saying another inch on Thurs. night into Friday morning...
Old 05-02-2017, 08:55 PM
Striper Hunter

Yeah I know about the forecasted rain... that is why I was hoping to sneak out tomorrow for the first time. Coupled with weak cold front may as well go to work?

Old 05-03-2017, 05:52 AM
Striper Hunter

Went to schodack yesterday afternoon 1 truck in the lot, at low tide it was raging, muddy, and debris filled. Really not good
Old 05-03-2017, 06:23 AM
Striper Hunter

6-10" of visibility at Albany yesterday afternoon. I couldn't jig any bait out of the river. Plenty of activity on the ff but, the trip turned into more of a scouting mission. Males and herring at 15-20' females and a few herring around 30-35'. Hopefully Wednesday will be a river recovery day and then back at it Thursday. Water temp was 58.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:09 PM
Striper Hunter

Just checked the river in Rensselaer, maybe a foot of visibility. Guess I will try tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:04 PM
Striper Hunter

Went over the Hoosick St Bridge and not a single boat in sight either way. Too high and rough
Old 05-04-2017, 12:15 PM
Striper Hunter

Just got off incoming tide,albany, water clarity less than 12in, only got 8 herring, jumping all over can't see the sabukis,not one run. Water 56degrees launch was full.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:02 PM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uns View Post
Just got off incoming tide,albany, water clarity less than 12in, only got 8 herring, jumping all over can't see the sabukis,not one run. Water 56degrees launch was full.
Thanks for the info .... with the inch of rain coming in the next day or two we are done for another week or so at least. My college buddy who cancelled his trip is now coming next winter after sending him youtube videos of jigging lakers on Lake George!
Old 05-04-2017, 02:21 PM
Official Member

Jigged for 5 hours today not 1 herring, south of albany down to bethlehem. Water temp 56-57, water is real murky yet.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:13 PM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post
Thanks for the info .... with the inch of rain coming in the next day or two we are done for another week or so at least. My college buddy who cancelled his trip is now coming next winter after sending him youtube videos of jigging lakers on Lake George!
They are crushing the striper at the dam right now..........
Old 05-04-2017, 08:12 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Z View Post
They are crushing the striper at the dam right now..........
Cooler water temps probably put the spawn on hold and the feed bag on. I haven't been to the dam but, it sure sounds tempting now! Live, chunk, jigs what's working?
Old 05-05-2017, 08:37 AM
Striper Hunter

for all the boats fishing around and below the Dun Memorial bridge yesterday, I'd wonder why they were not further up closer to the dam if they were crushing the fish..
In well over 40 years fishing stripers , this is the WORST season in my experience.. From the fish I have seen being caught so far they are many under the slot and being considered "keepers" , not released for another day.
The conditions are Lousy out there , have been since Mondays storm and don't look to improve in the next week or so..
We tried jigging by the U-Haul in Albany for about 6 hrs. With the Many, many boats , including at least 3 charters I could identify , we seen ONE , yes 1 herring caught. My screen was completely blank the entire time.
Water temp dropped from 59 on weds to 56 Thursday.

Using chunk has proven useless to us. In every and any spot we must have caught every turd (catfish) in the river. It don't matter how you slice or dice the bait , fresh or frozen, the turds wouldn't stay away..

Those who are doing well , congratulations but it is few and far there are any consistent catches going on out there IMO.
Something is amiss , be it bait or numbers of stripers .

As for conditions . Charters I know are cancelling paid trips. If they are not going out fishing which is their livelihood, you know conditions are POOR at best.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:45 AM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot tuna View Post
for all the boats fishing around and below the Dun Memorial bridge yesterday, I'd wonder why they were not further up closer to the dam if they were crushing the fish..
In well over 40 years fishing stripers , this is the WORST season in my experience.. From the fish I have seen being caught so far they are many under the slot and being considered "keepers" , not released for another day.
The conditions are Lousy out there , have been since Mondays storm and don't look to improve in the next week or so..
We tried jigging by the U-Haul in Albany for about 6 hrs. With the Many, many boats , including at least 3 charters I could identify , we seen ONE , yes 1 herring caught. My screen was completely blank the entire time.
Water temp dropped from 59 on weds to 56 Thursday.

Using chunk has proven useless to us. In every and any spot we must have caught every turd (catfish) in the river. It don't matter how you slice or dice the bait , fresh or frozen, the turds wouldn't stay away..

Those who are doing well , congratulations but it is few and far there are any consistent catches going on out there IMO.
Something is amiss , be it bait or numbers of stripers .

As for conditions . Charters I know are cancelling paid trips. If they are not going out fishing which is their livelihood, you know conditions are POOR at best.
Accurate assessment in my book RJ ..... my only hope is that this is just more of a typical year like we used to see where fishing didn't really get going until right about now and once the water clears after today's rain there might be a good window to catch some fish.

I certainly don't doubt Doc though because he obviously is a talented and dedicated striper fisherman. Even if fish are being caught i hate fishing at the dam or Bruno's with all of the people / drama and i don't even like being on the river when it's running high and dirty.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:04 PM
Striper Hunter

I agree with conditions, we marked a bunch of fish and we were lucky to get enough herring to fish, they were jumping all over from 8-930 am yesterday, for the amount of boats no one is getting much. Worst season for me in the past 6 yrs. I don't doubt for a second fish are here but it's not worth all the time put in, yet!!