Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-01-2017, 12:17 PM
Striper Hunter

Default worm questions...

Doc Z's input on the herring vs. worm concept made me think of three worm questions...and thanx to all in advance...

Is there a location where worms are more/less effective...that is the saltwater portion of the Hudson, fresh, brackish?

Have any of you tried any of the artificial blood or sandworms such as Gulp, Exude etc.?

And...finally...have any of you tried worms (live or fake) with the "tube 'n worm" setup folks have been using in saltwater?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2017, 08:22 PM
Veteran Elite

Default Re: worm questions...

South of Kingston they primarily feed on bloods and sands. After the first week of May these are different fish than the ones that chase the herring. There also is not much herring in the main river south of Kingston so the worms are enticing. Kingston and North they primarily hit herring and rarely bloods. When a school of stripe decides to eat a particular meal the will RARELY feed on anything else even if you drop it on their head. Trolling rapallas ans tubes do work but that is because they are reaction strikes. Haverstraw Bay and south Bunker works well.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:10 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Z View Post
South of Kingston they primarily feed on bloods and sands. After the first week of May these are different fish than the ones that chase the herring. There also is not much herring in the main river south of Kingston so the worms are enticing. Kingston and North they primarily hit herring and rarely bloods. When a school of stripe decides to eat a particular meal the will RARELY feed on anything else even if you drop it on their head. Trolling rapallas ans tubes do work but that is because they are reaction strikes. Haverstraw Bay and south Bunker works well.
We are stuck using live or fresh chunk herring from shore here in Cornwall. Surprisingly they are easy to catch In May . I saw we are basically forced to use herring here are because of the damn perch. I don't even think a sinker hits the river floor before they swarm on the worm like piranhas

Old 05-01-2017, 09:18 PM
Official Member

How about baiting the hook with a worm? What are the preferred methods Ive gotten conflicting information from sleeving the hook to balling the worm on the hook to a combo of the 2. This is my first season on the river still trying to catch my groove. Tia
Old 05-01-2017, 10:14 PM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almosttime View Post
How about baiting the hook with a worm? What are the preferred methods Ive gotten conflicting information from sleeving the hook to balling the worm on the hook to a combo of the 2. This is my first season on the river still trying to catch my groove. Tia
Interesting you ask that because I've tried both and it seems balling it leaving a tail works best.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:19 PM
Striper Hunter

Two more questions: Does any one slow troll or drift their worms behind a flasher or spinners?

Do night crawlers ever work?
Old 05-01-2017, 11:14 PM
Veteran Elite

I always use a spinner. There is no reason to troll and waste gas when drifting works fine. Yes, nightcrawlers work if you put a piece of a bloodworm on with them
Old 05-02-2017, 11:01 AM
Striper Hunter

Doc, any online reference on how to rig a spinner to your rig? I did a quick search and didn't really find anything. Have not tried this yet.....I just use a basic fish finder rig...maybe that's my problem lol....
Old 05-02-2017, 11:41 AM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXK883 View Post
Doc, any online reference on how to rig a spinner to your rig? I did a quick search and didn't really find anything. Have not tried this yet.....I just use a basic fish finder rig...maybe that's my problem lol....
I don"t have an online ref but I use a FF rig but put 3 beads above the hook then a spinner and 3 more beads.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:02 PM
Striper Hunter

On the Gulp subject... I usually do great with Gulp with most stripers; not in the Hudson. Some people posted last year that they were catching with Gulp bloodworm as a backup for regular bloodworm. It's probably best to start with bloodworm/bunker and then start experimenting more if there is a good bite.

I've also tried tube and worm in the Hudson (with Gulp). Great luck in other areas such as the Housatonic in CT, but no luck in the Hudson. My only striper catches in the Hudson have been with stretch 25's above 55 degrees. I'm going to join the worm wagon this season I guess.

I had a worm question. Will any bagged bloodworm work or are the large bloodworms from Maine significantly more productive? I was considering buying 5 dozen jumbo bloodworms from online but not sure how to keep that many worms alive for the rest of the season...
Old 05-06-2017, 11:59 PM
Veteran Elite

Larger bloods work better. I buy 3-4 flats weekly because you blow through worms like crazy in newburgh when the schools light up.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:08 PM
Official Member

Where do you guys get your worms from? I'm in beacon and have been going to ceelys. They seems to have good worms buts it's out of my way. There's 1 place in beacon Main Street deli but there worms suck they are very small. Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks
Old 05-16-2017, 10:26 AM
Striper Hunter

vinnyslakehouse in Wappingers.

I agree, I have never gotten a hit on Herring in the Newburgh area, but Bloods are not indigenous to the river and those big fish are eating something. There are a lot of eels in the river and I've heard of people using them. Not sure if they work as well (or at all).
Old 05-16-2017, 11:44 AM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queequeg View Post
vinnyslakehouse in Wappingers.

I agree, I have never gotten a hit on Herring in the Newburgh area, but Bloods are not indigenous to the river and those big fish are eating something. There are a lot of eels in the river and I've heard of people using them. Not sure if they work as well (or at all).
The fish in NB bay are mainly from the Chesapeake area as opposed to the ones that come up earlier and follow the herring............The Chesapeake area is loaded with blood and sands and a main part of their diet.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:44 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Z View Post
The fish in NB bay are mainly from the Chesapeake area as opposed to the ones that come up earlier and follow the herring............The Chesapeake area is loaded with blood and sands and a main part of their diet.
I don't question that. I assume many of these fish are hanging around NB waiting to spawn. So they must be feeding on something other than bloodworms. I hit a 38" looked like she could have swallowed an entire flat and gone looking for more.

Whatever the case, I'll be out there with bloodworms this week.