Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 03-29-2017, 06:43 PM
First Mate @ Ace Charters

Default Weather Outlook

I follow a weather guy on FB, so far he's done better predicting the weather then any of the news channels. As far as an early run, Stella canceled that out. Now we might be looking at a tuff start. Fish will here be about the same time as always. The question now is - what are the water temps going to be like?!?! Getting bait may be hard in the beginning if we have low water temps. Another storm Friday into Saturday 3-6" with up to 11'' possible.

I give credit to Dave Eichorn for the following prediction ...

Jet Stream animation going out through mid April looks a little troublesome. After the 8th and through the 15th, a strong jet stream on a more southern track "guides" healthy storms across the southern half of the country. This would almost certainly set the southern U.S. up for an active period of severe thunderstorms. Farther north...well, it might be good to leave the snow tires on for a couple more weeks. No "specific threat." Rather...it's just the "look" of the overall pattern.

"a strong jet stream on a more southern track" = more colder air being pulled down from Canada.

Advertisement

Old 03-29-2017, 07:50 PM
Veteran Elite

Default Re: Weather Outlook

Yep...my first mate Joe is a whiz on predicting weather and has been on point.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Z View Post
Yep...my first mate Joe is a whiz on predicting weather and has been on point.
Thought the dog was your First Mate - lol ... I got Joe as a friend on FB. waiting on your add. lol

Old 03-29-2017, 10:32 PM
Veteran Elite

I stand corrected.......Joe is my second mate.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Z View Post
I stand corrected.......Joe is my second mate.
lol
Old 03-30-2017, 07:03 AM
Veteran Elite

Sounds perfect to me ..... keep the water cold so the big fat ones don't stop down south.

That is what happened last year so maybe we are in for a rerun of last season

I icefished 3/6 and with a warm forecast i opened my pool on 3/12 ..... it got cold and stayed cold right after that well into April.

Last year may have been the best year for big fish ever and if not i would have to go back well over 10 years for one that compared.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:01 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post
Last year may have been the best year for big fish ever and if not i would have to go back well over 10 years for one that compared.
Could that have anything to do with the new slot limits? I read they grow 2-3" per year. Wish they'd enforce that everywhere instead of just N GW
Old 03-30-2017, 08:54 AM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queequeg View Post
Could that have anything to do with the new slot limits? I read they grow 2-3" per year. Wish they'd enforce that everywhere instead of just N GW
I was wondering that but i don't think it could have such an impact in only a couple of years (have they been in effect for 2 years now?)

In my experience 2-3" per year is not the case once they get bigger. I caught a tagged one a couple of years ago that was 41". When i got the info back it had been caught 5 years earlier in the river and was 36" so that would mean 1" per year.

I have always thought the big ones stop their northward journey once they get to "comfortable" water so if the temp is warm they won't come all the way north.

At the same time i always crack up when my buddy that i ice fish with explains all of his theories on why fish act certain ways ..... i figure i'm fishing from mid - late april through late May no matter what

I have had great mornings on the water on Memorial Day!
Old 03-30-2017, 11:46 AM
Striper Hunter

My biggest concern is water clarity. If the herring can't see the jigs they won't hit. Lotsa snow up north yet to melt and more coming. If its rainy too....
Old 04-03-2017, 05:57 PM

1-1 1/2" through Wednesday morning. Then another storm on Thursday. Combine that with snow melt. Gonna stink for awhile. Took a pic from the Coeymans Landing Marina web cam yesterday at dead low tide. You couldn't even see the top of the wall.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:29 PM
Striper Hunter

Better that this happens now. It's still relatively cold. Hopefully things don't heat up too much after this. A good bulk of the snow may melt and by the time the water clears up the rest will may keep the river cool so the season isn't over before it begins.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirch View Post
Better that this happens now. It's still relatively cold. Hopefully things don't heat up too much after this. A good bulk of the snow may melt and by the time the water clears up the rest will may keep the river cool so the season isn't over before it begins.
Hope ya saw in my first post - Jet Stream animation going out through mid April looks a little troublesome. After the 8th and through the 15th, a strong jet stream on a more southern track "guides" healthy storms across the southern half of the country. This would almost certainly set the southern U.S. up for an active period of severe thunderstorms. Farther north...well, it might be good to leave the snow tires on for a couple more weeks. No "specific threat." Rather...it's just the "look" of the overall pattern.

"a strong jet stream on a more southern track" = more colder air being pulled down from Canada.

The river is gonna really "Blow Out" this week, I agree it needs a good flush for the season, but a wide spread rainfall 1-2" over all of NY (Tuesday 2am till Wednesday morning) is gonna be a problem. Then on Thursday another storm with possible heavy rain fall. You have the entire lenght of the Mohawk and all of the upper Hudson - to Lake Tare Of The Clouds (head water of the Hudson), and all the feeder streams and creeks feeding into that system. Plus snow melt. The thing that's gets me concerned is the active weather pattern coming up. We don't need any additional rain fall after this week. It will take a good 10-14 days for the river to start to clear, baring no more heavy participation. Just don't hope for a tuff start for us upper river guys. I always "plan on the worst but hope for the best" never leaves me disappointed.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:49 AM
Veteran Elite

It's April 4th ..... typically it's the last week of April before things really get going so I wouldn't panic just yet.

When do you start taking out charters Jeff?
Old 04-04-2017, 10:56 AM
First Mate

This weather is gonna put a huge damper on the shore fisherman for two reasons, 1st, the bait guys aren't going to keep anything on the bottom, that is if they can catch bait, the Lure guys(me) forget it, I was casting a 2oz., chartruse Savage and couldn't see it 6 inches below the surface!
Now we all gotta keep calm and just know eventually the water is gonna warm up and the river is gonna clean up, its just gonna take a bit longer.
The Stripers have been doing this Before Henry Hudson ever sailed up the river, they"ll be here.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post
It's April 4th ..... typically it's the last week of April before things really get going so I wouldn't panic just yet.

When do you start taking out charters Jeff?
I think I'm leaving around the 15th. Little work to be done on the boat(a day or 2). A shake down cruise, then Charters.