Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New York
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New York New York Bight - Raritan Bay - North and South Shore - Eastern Long Island -Captree - Shinnecock - Moriches - Montauk - Jamaica Bay - Staten Island - Western Sound - Long Island Sound The Hudson River

Old 11-19-2005, 01:46 PM
Lunker

Default Skates and Blues oh, how I love you both.

I hit a local beach in Brooklyn the other morning, suprisingly enough blues were still around and wow they were big, 9 or 10 lbs all of em. I am suprised they haven't migrated out yet, I guess they are chomping on the herring.

I used the last of my frozen peanuts and bottom fished and pulled up quite a lot of small skates. I switched to plugging with my white bucktail and eh nothing came up. The Rattling Rap pulled in a few hits but when I was bringing something small in, I felt a smash and pulled a blue up after a few strong runs.

I decided to keep one bluefish at 6 lbs and filleted him as soon as I bled him to death right on the spot and stuck him in my cooler. It actually tasted pretty good after I breaded him heavily and ate a lot of it immediately. There were no baitfish around so I guess the blues were starving. I'd assume they weren't saturated with the Peanut Bunkers and in combination with the cold water they tasted good. I recommend to others if you get a blue this time of year it might not be a bad idea to take it home, but make sure you bleed it and fillet it quickly and put it on ice fast.

One guy had a sand spike and his 11' Daiwa dragged into the water, must have been a hefty skate or a nice bass. Felt really bad for him, I tried to snag his rod while it was still on top but to no avail.

-Cheers
Elias
Old 11-19-2005, 08:35 PM
Old Salt
Team Leader
Pro Staff

you are what you eat! nuff said. i would be cautious in my consumption of fish that have been in these waters for a considerable time. i will eat a bass and bluefish early spring and only the smaller blues as they have been out in deep water most of thier life. weakfish are so tasty that i would venture to eat a few, the same goes for fluke/flounder, early spring and waiting for the fluke season to open is horrible as they are here for some time.(except in deep water on boats, then it;s different) just my 2 cents though, you guys don;t have to listen to me,
Old 11-20-2005, 12:57 AM
Lunker

Correct me if I am wrong but why wouldn't you eat Fluke when the season opens? Don't they migrate from far away into local waters or they stay year round? I too am usually cautious in what fish I eat, I have read multiple articles and it usually recommends that Bluefish have less contaminants because they urinate through their skin therefore expelling many chemicals through their flesh.

I can be incorrect though.