Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 01:56 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Default 2016 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

We can use this thread to track Herring movements up the river.

Let us know when you start seeing them ... General location or county is fine, no need to give up your specific honey holes.

Thank you!

Old 03-15-2016, 09:46 AM
Veteran Elite

Default Re: 2016 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

It's about time you unlocked this.........I got some reports of Herring in Kingston already............

Now open up the Striper thread.......some have already been caught south of Newburgh............but DEC has already been ticketing people even if they remotely think they are targeting Striper.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:49 AM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Z View Post
It's about time you unlocked this.........I got some reports of Herring in Kingston already............

Now open up the Striper thread.......some have already been caught south of Newburgh............but DEC has already been ticketing people even if they remotely think they are targeting Striper.

Yeah Doc, I didn't realize guys had been out looking for Herring already. So go for it guys.

As for the Stripers, we'll wait until the season opens.

BB

Old 03-15-2016, 01:21 PM
Veteran Elite

Here is the River Basin Report:

SO, WHERE’S THE FISH?
Generally speaking we have found the first herring to arrive at Catskill when the river hits the 43 degree temperature mark, perhaps a degree or so higher. The first of the stripers, which we look upon as “scouts,” may be there right along with those herring but usually are spotted a few days later. Just a couple of hours ago I went down to the Catskill launch site and measured the water temperature at 44 degrees – things could start to pop real early this year.
Of course water temperature is not the sole factor for determining our fish arrivals, the amount of daylight also plays a part. Even if the water temperature is appropriate the lesser amount of daylight we receive so early in the year just might delay the migratory run.
Just yesterday I received a phone call from a fella in the Stockport area who reported that he had “heard” of some herring being in the Stockport creek. I’ve heard tales of herring and stripers already being in the lower confines of the Hudson and it’s quite likely that they are in that lower river section already... but I have heard of no other reports of them being up as far as we are so we'll just put that one report on the back burner. As usual, we all want those fish to arrive as soon as possible.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:21 PM
First Mate @ Ace Charters

Per River Basin Sports - River Basin’s Hudson River Fishing Report – Tuesday, March 15, 2016.
HERRING - HERE THEY ARE!
True to form, the first report of herring having arrived in our section of the Hudson has been substantiated. Today we received verification of a previous rumor that the annual herring run has reached here, more specifically the herring are now up as far as the Stockport Creek… and in good numbers.
Now, this is just the start of the run and what usually happens is that these early arrivers, which are not actually a part of the real huge schools to follow during the next few weeks, will be in the area for a few days and then disappear. In reality they just head on further up river, leaving a void behind. That void will be filled some days later with yet the next school of arriving fish, and so it goes until our waters become almost saturated with these amazing little sparkling fish. And since it’s been several days since we had the first report it would not be surprising if they were all the way up to Albany already.
Of course the herring are just harbingers of the stripers that are, right now as you are reading this, also on their way up river. Yes, it certainly is going to be an early run this year! If you wish to let us know if either herring or stripers are in your area, or have any other interesting tidbit about the river to share, you can drop us an E-mail at RIVERGEN at YAHOO.COM. In the meantime, wipe the dust off your tackle – our season is about to begin. Tom G
Old 03-15-2016, 09:41 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Force View Post
Per River Basin Sports - River Basin’s Hudson River Fishing Report – Tuesday, March 15, 2016.
HERRING - HERE THEY ARE!
True to form, the first report of herring having arrived in our section of the Hudson has been substantiated. Today we received verification of a previous rumor that the annual herring run has reached here, more specifically the herring are now up as far as the Stockport Creek… and in good numbers.
Now, this is just the start of the run and what usually happens is that these early arrivers, which are not actually a part of the real huge schools to follow during the next few weeks, will be in the area for a few days and then disappear. In reality they just head on further up river, leaving a void behind. That void will be filled some days later with yet the next school of arriving fish, and so it goes until our waters become almost saturated with these amazing little sparkling fish. And since it’s been several days since we had the first report it would not be surprising if they were all the way up to Albany already.
Of course the herring are just harbingers of the stripers that are, right now as you are reading this, also on their way up river. Yes, it certainly is going to be an early run this year! If you wish to let us know if either herring or stripers are in your area, or have any other interesting tidbit about the river to share, you can drop us an E-mail at RIVERGEN at YAHOO.COM. In the meantime, wipe the dust off your tackle – our season is about to begin. Tom G
just to have an idea, in what county is Stockport Creek, I'm fishing Albany area, I'm trying to estimate how long it takes these shinning jewels to run this far. I probably wont even go look till Sat.anyhow. thanks.... april....april...april
Old 03-15-2016, 10:04 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen usavich View Post
just to have an idea, in what county is Stockport Creek, I'm fishing Albany area, I'm trying to estimate how long it takes these shinning jewels to run this far. I probably wont even go look till Sat.anyhow. thanks.... april....april...april
oh ,20mi, so. of Albany
Old 03-15-2016, 11:48 PM
Striper Hunter

Stockport creek is in Columbia county a lot of people use it to get their herring like the posty and roe Jan several other creeks as well I'm a Columbia County fisherman and I posted that they were here already and that's where I saw them was the Stockport creek
Old 03-16-2016, 12:06 AM
schweinhund

Saw some myself in Greene. Damn this April 1st nonsense.

Largest: 42"
Most in a day: 12
Most in a season : 43
Old 03-16-2016, 12:19 AM
First Mate @ Ace Charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen usavich View Post
As far as I can tell that is "First Run" - there will be a void(these fish will move north) then another run, maybe a few days behind-if not longer... This will continue until the river is full of Herring... Remember April 1 is opener... NO season for catch & release!
Old 03-16-2016, 08:06 AM
First Mate

years ago i saw herring in the hannacroix creek on open day of trout... stockport isn't that far away....
Old 03-16-2016, 04:38 PM
Striper Hunter

Feels like spring has sprung. Today I got out of work early and ran over to Wards in Newburgh to grab my herring shads. Looks like he's already been busy and he had mentioned his bloods will be in next week. He also mentioned catches north of Kingston. I have always said to myself I Gotta get out as soon as I see the trees in the yard budding. Guess what they're starting.... Just gotta spool up my reels and get out. CPR is my motto this year...Good luck to all this year!
Old 03-17-2016, 09:55 AM
Striper Hunter

Thanks for the reports guys,im in albany and havent seen herring just yet maybe this weekend
Old 03-17-2016, 04:35 PM
Official Member

saw them swimming in kingston today
Old 03-17-2016, 04:44 PM
Striper Hunter

the April 1st opening day is strange. You can catch herring now but not stripers. I still gonna jig any just to have that feeling of the first triple of the year. Lol
Closed Thread