Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 03-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Looking to catch Herring.

Since you cant use Nets now, Do you use just a straight sibaki rig? (one with all the hooks) No bait or anything? What kinda rod? Has anyone seen them in the Fishkill creek or just the wappingers creek?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Looking to catch Herring.

Sources say that the regs for not netting herring in the creeks will not go into affect this year but I'm sure that can change at anytime. But either way as a right now there is nothing on the dec page about the no net regs so go net them while you can. I haven't been out yet so I can't tell you if there are any herring in the creeks yet. But there seems to be plenty of reports of them being there, hopefully I can get out this weekend and find out for myself.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:59 PM
Striper Hunter

i have several questions . (1)are the proposed new herring regs now in effect? i havnt seen anything to confirm this. (2) can you snag herring in a creek with a sabiki? (3) wher do the baitshops get their herring from?
Old 03-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Striper Hunter

See ppl got it confused it was a proposal bout the no netting and the ten herring limit soooooo its nit true that u cant use nets it didnt pass yet I talked personally to d.e.c today and the laws are the same as last yr only different iz u can transport and have three poles
Old 03-16-2012, 10:19 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldiggity518 View Post
See ppl got it confused it was a proposal bout the no netting and the ten herring limit soooooo its nit true that u cant use nets it didnt pass yet I talked personally to d.e.c today and the laws are the same as last yr only different iz u can transport and have three poles
forgot abou the 3 poles, that should create even more cluster F's around some of the more popular areas. ive seen some people who shouldnt be allowed to use 2!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Striper Hunter

From what I heard you can transport, you cant use nets, and theres a 10 herring per angler limit per day.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolMike View Post
From what I heard you can transport, you cant use nets, and theres a 10 herring per angler limit per day.
Thats false info you can net and no limit on herring same rules apply as last yr jst you can transport and have three poles... ThoS neW regulations Was a proposal but didnt pass az of yet... So you can still net
Old 03-17-2012, 11:43 AM
TRUE GRIT Off Shore Fishing Team

[quote=Aldiggity518;157260]Thats false info you can net and no limit on herring same rules apply as last yr jst you can transport and have three poles... ThoS neW regulations Was a proposal but didnt pass az of yet... So you can still net[/quote

Alldigitty is correct ! The proposed changes where to have been implemented and the new Regs Published as of the DEC own public web site on the 14th of March 2012. As none have since been published same rules as the previous year applies. If someone else has the facts different then publish them or post the link otherwise, it would do everyone good to just state the facts or admit your post is just your own opinion and rebut the I heard BS . Case in point, I heard it's the Rec. Angler causing the decline in population as per the peace, love and Barack Hussein Obama crowd. Time to uncover the boat tight lines all!
Old 03-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Striper Hunter

Alright so lets say I wanted to physically stay out of the water and catch them with a rod, What set up do I need and bait and such? Do you guys find them in the creeks normally or cant I just hit the Hudson and hope for the best>?

Id like to use them because I dislike bloodworms
Old 03-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Striper Hunter

Get yourself a telescoping net, (dicks,gander mtn has them) and also pick up a white 4-6"of swimbait (also at dicks or gander) and go to the river and cast it out, do figure 8'sit with it in front of you and watch for the herring behind it. Swim the swimbait into the net and lift up.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Striper Hunter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6-x6JkgqWg
This video helped me alot when I first started catching herring. Just make sure to read dec regs on the net size. If you use a dip net it has to be 14 inchs or less or 13in by 13in if sqaure.

heres the link with that info.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31416.html
Old 03-17-2012, 10:13 PM
Striper Hunter

Were are the herring?
Old 03-17-2012, 10:25 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks So much guys, Gonna try this hopefully this week. Just need to find out where they are haha.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:50 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddbmxjumper View Post
Get yourself a telescoping net, (dicks,gander mtn has them) and also pick up a white 4-6"of swimbait (also at dicks or gander) and go to the river and cast it out, do figure 8'sit with it in front of you and watch for the herring behind it. Swim the swimbait into the net and lift up.
Use a black net and handle/hoop The silver spooks them ...
Old 03-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Striper Hunter

I've heard you can can use a rod also, is this true?