Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Shorebound - Surf Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Shorebound - Surf Beginners Information for the Shorebound angler

Old 08-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Official Member

Default Colorado to Long Island - Fishing Tansfer

We recently moved from Colorado, Boulder area, to Long Island, Stony Brook. Before moving, I use to be an avid fisherman, all feshwater. I loved fishing for trout. I use to spinner fish mostly, from shore or from a Bally boat, and I also use to tie my own flies and fly fish with an Orvis rod. I had waiters, boots, and use to stream fish a ton as well. There are some great catch and release gold medal waters in Colorado and Wyoming.

How I have 2 sons, 10 and 8, that want to fish. We're here in LI, because my wife is from LI. I've been fishing with a buddy out of Port Jefferson in the sound. I'm getting up to speed on all the fish that is available out here. Fishing in salt water seems to be much different than the fishing I use to do in Colorado. Overall, can't say we've had great success in the sound for other than Porgies and Fluke.

My main goal is to fish with my boys from the beach. Any beack on LI. Closer the better. I'd love to catch some Stripers, as that seems to be the most popular - and my wife wouldn't mind us bringing one home to eat, although she never wanted me to bring home any trout. I will still catch and release most, but may bring one home every so often, but never blues, porgies or such.

So, can someone point me to the key items I may need for me and my boys to fish from the beach in LI? Looking to purchase all new tackle. Spinning rods are of course my favorite. I've used various types of mono line in the past. I want my boys to be able to fish from shore w/o constantly casting - but I did see threads about the crabs on bait - not sure bobbers are the right choice, but maybe an explanation on creating a floating jig. I'd like advice on some lures. I've purchased a few already based on recommendations from a guy at Dick's.

Overall, I'm all in. I wanna fish!!! Is it best to spend a little cash and find someone who can get me off the ground and teach me the ropes? Help!

Thanks

FTBuckeye
Old 08-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Colorado to Long Island - Fishing Tansfer

Been doing a lot of reading on the site and on the internet in general. I think I decided on my first saltwater spinning rod - St. Croix Premier Surf or Triumph Surf. I haven't decided on the reel yet. Need to find something that will support braided. But this should be a good general purpose rod for now, thinking aobut Shimano reel.

I'm undecided about my boys. I don't think I'll go with a bait casting rod for either. I think I'll do spinning rods, maybe of 8' length, maybe the Ugly Sticks, or some kind of combination kit. They'll mostly do bait fishing from the shore, at least for the next couple of years.

Heading to J&H Tackle tomorrow to see if I can score some good gear to get started.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:30 PM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Hi FTBuckeye,
Stick with spinning rods and mono line for the boys. Don't worry about floats,,, just start them out with a basic fishfinder rig and some bunker from the bait shop. See this thread for how to set up a fishfinder rig. Keep it simple to start with and just have fun
Old 08-12-2011, 10:23 PM
Official Member

Ended up getting myself a Lemiglas entry 10' rod. They didn't have the St. Croix Triump and I was a little hesitant to invest in the St. Croix premier 10' rod. With this I also got a Penn reel. I went to J&H Bait and Tackle, as that was highly recommended from some folks around the north shore. Ended up getting my boys a couple 8' rods and reels for beach fishing. We have tried them out at the Stony Brook pier - my boys have caught a few fish, nothing very big, fishing on bottom. However the current at the Stony Brook pier is very swift and 3 oz sinkers setup with two hooks and a sinker at the bottom don't seems to work well.

We are all using Mono - 17 lb for the kids, I'm using 25lb. We have been fishing at night and in the morning for 3 of the last 4 days. I'm currently investigating the beaches in the Town of Brookhaven and plan to head out tomorrow morning to Cedar beach and see what we can get. I haven't got any bites on any of my lures I'm using yet. Kind of dissapointing.

It's all fun though. :)
Old 08-12-2011, 11:17 PM
Old Salt
Team Leader
Pro Staff

taking em out and not catching is not fun for them.
now as bass fishing is not entirely out of the question in that area.. the thing is to get them into a fish of any sort. so if i may suggest a few things. at the pier? there is always white bait/rain bait/p-nut bunker/ anchovies/etc etc there.
snapper poppers..... cuz there are no shortage of snappers along the beaches. from up on the pier> cast em out parrallel to the beach five feet out. or cast out from the beach (whichever is easier for them) and pop em on the retrieve... moving the rig at a fast steady pace is key as they will chase it and if it's moving too slow will not commit. move up and down the beach till you locate them or you may see rainfish being visibly molested on top. also, marathon brand makes a "sabiki rig" that has five or so hooks on it.. a one ounce weight attatched to the bottom of this rig and jigged up and down from the pier to the bottom will catch snappers as well.ask around where the best location/opportunity to get them in your area will be other than the pier as if you find bait you'll find fish.
get a plastic jug and put holes in the top portion of the jug to allow half the water to stay in it when out of the water ... and tie a long rope to the top. this will keep em alive in the water when you hang it off the pier or tossed into the wash from the beach and tied off on a sand spike or a stone or something.. hook the snapper thru the lower lip on a 3/0 steel rigged gammy hook on a sinker slide rig, and your either gonna get a fluke or a bluefish with the live one, the trick is to let it breathe and swim alive.
also, get live killies as well as get the tub of gulp alive WHITE mullet in 2in. size. these rigged on a fluke rig and slowly retrieved will guarantee you get fluke for them kids. sometimes ya gotta take what the fish gods will give ya. and when it comes to kids? ya wanna keep em excited with something or it gets boring for em. all in all? any jetty/pier or bridge structure will hold bait and any area adjacent to it will hold fish. hope you can get something out of my madness.. you have to adapt to the conditions and learn to improvise. i have some tried and true methods other than these but i have not fished em in eons as i am conservation minded and rarely post such on open forums. these are methods that can harm an illegal size bass should that fish take that setup.

Last edited by zimno1; 08-13-2011 at 12:09 AM. Reason: delete bad advise
Old 08-17-2011, 06:48 AM
Fishslayer

Welcome FT!
This is HarrytheKid's Dad. I agree with Zim...the most important thing about fishing with kids is to make sure they catch fish...any fish!
The kid is 7 years old, so he is about the same age as your boys. We make it a point to alternate our fishing trips between going to places where we know we will catch fish (any fish) and our outings for Striper. There is a bridge near us where if we use smaller hooks much like a kingfish rig, and small baits (usually the clam ribbins from salted clam or cut bait) we will catch about a dozen fish in a 2-3 hour outing. Mostly small sea bass, sea robins and dogfish. While no selfrespecting fisherman would ever target doggies, what is more exciting for an 8-10 year old boy than catching a handfull of SHARKS that they can hold and take pictures with? Especially this soon after Shark Week on TV!
We also surf fish for kingfish and fluke here in South Joisey just to mix it up. Make no mistake, Harry loves to stalk striper, and has probably caught about 2 or 3 dozen this year, but he understands that we will often get skunked when targeting linesiders.
Harry loves to work lures from the beach. He can work them himself from the beach in an inlet, or I cast them and he retrieves them in the surf.
It seems the easiest lures for him to work are the 6 inch Bombers. They are heavy enough for him to cast and are only about 6 bucks, so I don't get too upset if he snags them on something (my blood pressure climbs when he throws my significantly pricier Gibbs lures!)
About every two or three weeks we take another kid (and Dad if available) fishing with us, who has never fished or caught a fish before. We make sure they catch fish!!
Zim and the other contributers have been EXTREMELY helpfull to us. Listen to what they tell you!
One of the most important things we have learned is not to just keep going to the same place and fish the same way. You have to be willing to move, try new places, and new techniques. About once a week, I go scouting new locations without Harry to see if it holds fish, talk to any old salt who might be there, but most of all, to determine how accessable and safe it is to fish with a kid. Want to hear your kids whine and bitch? Take them fishing at your new secret spot that they have to walk a half mile through mud that keeps pulling their shoes off, while carrying gear and getting eaten by greenheads! Not a fun day! Safety is a big issue with kids. There are jetties I fish by myself, but would never take Harry to. Your boys will grow up too fast anyway, so before you know it, they will be able to fish those spots.
Feel free to PM me, and I'll gladly share some strategies for fishing with kids.
Good luck and keep those boys fishing.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:46 PM
Old Salt
Team Leader
Pro Staff

say hello to harry for me.. hope that hat brings him some luck. i neglected to mention the small hook bait strip/spearing/worm method.. blowfish-sea bass-snapper-fluke-porgies-can also be had using that method.. glad you popped in to add that. during work, i often take my lunch by a pier and help get the younguns into fish. when ya take a kid down to the beach/pier/etc.... there's always something to generate interest. happy hunting...zim
Old 08-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Fishslayer

Zim, Harry says "Hello and Tight Lines!" The hat has brought him luck! About a month ago, we were fishing for flounder from a pier, and he hooked into 3 Southern Stingrays each over 80 lbs! We brought one up to the pier with a bridge net, and cut off the other two.
Thanks again for the stuff you sent him. We would love to fish with you this year.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:45 PM
Old Salt
Team Leader
Pro Staff

tell him great job on the rays.. i'd cut one up to eat but there are some health issues with them as in warmer months it's succeptable to some kinda bacteria of the salmonella persuasion. i sent you a pm. hope to see ya's before this season is out anyway...
Old 08-25-2011, 12:22 AM
Official Member

Update: Kids are requesting me to take them fishing all the time. The problem is when I do, I get little to no fishing in. Now their friends want to come so somtimes I have 6 kids with me and I'm running around casting and baiting for them. It's all fun!!

We have done great at the Stony Brook pier - for snappers, some bigger blues, and even some sea robins. I have fished East Setauket Pier, Port Jefferson and even Cedar beach. All with varying luck.

Just got back from Montauk yesterday. Fished in Turtle Cove with the kids. I had my waiters on and they fished with clams, what was recommended by the local tackle shop. Great spot for the kids, but I didn't get any lure fishing in myself. Not much activity on the clams and the number of boats around that area was crazy.

I honestly need my fishing fix and I'm not sure I'm going to get it taking my kids everywhere. I was thinking about taking them on a charter so that I can even do some fishing. Ugh!

Have been reading though, I think I need to change the bait they are using if we want to catch stripers and I now have some good ideas for some new plugs: diamond jigs and Slug-Gos. Have to give them a try.

Having a blast on Long Island fishing!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Official Member

Since your used to fishing fresh water as well there are numerous fresh water spots to hit up along with salt water on the island. My new spot for fresh water had been blydenburgh county park you can fish from shore or resnt a row boat for the day with your sons. They have smallmouth bass, perch, blue gills. And as for trout southhaven park is also a good place to fly fish. theres a few floating docks and a dam to fish from.