Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New York
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New York New York Bight - Raritan Bay - North and South Shore - Eastern Long Island -Captree - Shinnecock - Moriches - Montauk - Jamaica Bay - Staten Island - Western Sound - Long Island Sound The Hudson River

Old 06-08-2011, 04:41 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Best saltwater fishing spot on Long Island?

Captree is great for boats, but I'm looking for a good spot for surfcasting or dock fishing. I went down to shinnecock inlet, a few people caught blues no stripers though. I'm definitely going to try shinnecock again, but are there any great spots on LI that I need to try?
Old 06-08-2011, 05:33 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Best saltwater fishing spot on Long Island?

I bet there has to be some on that big stretch of land
Old 06-08-2011, 10:10 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

DJ pick up a map and throw a dart. Different areas are going to produce at different times through out the season for different reasons. Find bait find fish
Old 06-09-2011, 06:55 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P View Post
DJ pick up a map and throw a dart. Different areas are going to produce at different times through out the season for different reasons. Find bait find fish
I like it.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Official Member

DJ, as far as the fishing piers go, there are many and they are well known so I don't feel like I'm giving away any secrets. You have them in Long Beach and Lido, Jones Beach and Captree. Those are the ones on the south shore in my neck of the woods. They all produce fish if there are fish around.

As far as the shore goes, we live on an island. Islands are surrounded by water. Water is filled with fish. Big fish eat smaller fish at certain stages of the tide. The best advice I can give you is pick a spot close to home and learn it. You know how you can get up to go to the bathroom at 3am with all the lights off and not piss on the seat or stub your toe on the way back. That's how well you want to learn your local beach. I'm not saying that a couple of trips to Montauk wouldn't be fun. Absolutely. Get in the car and drive. And when you get there, kick @ss!!!!!! But on the regular, when you're fishing 3 or 4 nights a week, stay close to home and catch some of "your" bass.

Your gas tank will thank you.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash044 View Post
DJ, as far as the fishing piers go, there are many and they are well known so I don't feel like I'm giving away any secrets. You have them in Long Beach and Lido, Jones Beach and Captree. Those are the ones on the south shore in my neck of the woods. They all produce fish if there are fish around.

As far as the shore goes, we live on an island. Islands are surrounded by water. Water is filled with fish. Big fish eat smaller fish at certain stages of the tide. The best advice I can give you is pick a spot close to home and learn it. You know how you can get up to go to the bathroom at 3am with all the lights off and not piss on the seat or stub your toe on the way back. That's how well you want to learn your local beach. I'm not saying that a couple of trips to Montauk wouldn't be fun. Absolutely. Get in the car and drive. And when you get there, kick @ss!!!!!! But on the regular, when you're fishing 3 or 4 nights a week, stay close to home and catch some of "your" bass.

Your gas tank will thank you.
Yeah I've tried places within half an hour, but the two places I went to (patchogue and port jeff) were awful for any type of fishing. Shinnecock inlet was better, but like you said the 1 hour drive is a pain...