Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New Jersey
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New Jersey Regional discussion, news and reports for striped bass fishing in New Jersey

Old 09-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Official Member

Default Long Beach Island

I'm a novice (and usually unsuccessful) striper fisherman from Mass. and I'll be coming to LBI for the weekend on 9/18. I want to do some surfcasting while I'm there. I'm staying in Beach Haven and I notice that the south end of the island is some sort of wildlife refuge. Can you fish from the shore there? Are there any recommended areas on the south end for stripers. Most people have advised me to go to IBSP but I may be on foot; that'd be a long walk!
Old 09-10-2010, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Long Beach Island

The south end is known as Holgate and yes it's a wildlife refuge
There is some great fishing there but really only down by the tip which would be a monstrous walk.
The greenhead flys would suck you completely dry if you tried it with the wrong wind conditions in the day, skeeters can be brutal at night.

There can be fish found just about anywhere on the island but it's mostly soft structure and you'll need to be able to read the beach. Think whitewater and sand eels (tin or needle and teaser) and you should be able to get a few. Bombers are a good call if they're in close.
As for teasers, Fisherman's Headquarters, just as you get on island, is the only place i know that carries Red Gills - best damned teaser ever made !

Make sure to take a trip to the north end of the island and throw some bucktails and plugs off the inlet jetty.
If you do a dawn patrol out there, the little 1950's looking old fashioned tin diner out there has some really good breakfast for small $$
Old 09-10-2010, 10:55 PM

Obviously I was talking about fishing at night

In the daytime always have a rod ready in case the Albies crash the beach. They'll be in and out so quick you won't have time to do anything except grab the rod and get a cast or two off before they're gone.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Striper Hunter

I live in Barnegat Township, and Fish L.B.I. alot Both ends of the Island get alot of pressure If you do a little recon between the Lighthouse and Holgate at low tide you can Identify " Fishy" waters. The Troughs & cuts are always moving. I look for Rips currents to carry my baits out.

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

Fish Whisperer
Old 09-13-2010, 01:41 PM
Official Member

Sudsy, Whisperer,
Thanks for the info; I appreciate it. I'll try both ends of the island while I'm there. If I have time I'll look for some areas in between as well. And thanks for the breakfast tip, Sudsy.

pubprof
Old 09-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Obviously I was talking about fishing at night

In the daytime always have a rod ready in case the Albies crash the beach. They'll be in and out so quick you won't have time to do anything except grab the rod and get a cast or two off before they're gone.
I've not tried the north end, only been on lbi once or twice... find a street, look for structure, walk down, and get skunked.

argh... lots of water to learn for a newcomer, that's for sure!
Old 09-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Official Member

My parents have a house in Beach Haven so I take advantage and get down there as much as possible. I usually fish the beach around the Sea Spray motel. Alot of people head down to Holgate (Wildlife Refuge) and fish the inlet. (Little Egg Inlet)

A great resource for fishing on the island Is Jingles Bait Shop. Margaret has more knowledge that anyone I know. I just started surf fishing and she has been in valuable.

Here's the link.........

http://www.jinglesbaitandtackle.com/

See ya this weekend! Good luck!

Jim White
Old 09-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fluke'n Luck View Post
My parents have a house in Beach Haven so I take advantage and get down there as much as possible. I usually fish the beach around the Sea Spray motel. Alot of people head down to Holgate (Wildlife Refuge) and fish the inlet. (Little Egg Inlet)

A great resource for fishing on the island Is Jingles Bait Shop. Margaret has more knowledge that anyone I know. I just started surf fishing and she has been in valuable.

Here's the link.........

http://www.jinglesbaitandtackle.com/

See ya this weekend! Good luck!

Jim White

Val and Dante ( if he's hanging around around the shop ) At Oceanside B&T also give some very good and accurate advice as to whats "happening on the beach" .
The Guys at F&H are good too but they are usually very busy, If you hit them up at off hours you can get some valuable tips too.

Live to Fish
<><
Forced to Work

Fish Whisperer
Old 09-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Official Member

Hey Whisperer,

Is Oceanside the place across from Kubel's?

Jim