Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Boaters Forum > Trolling for Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Trolling for Stripers How tos - instruction - Downriggers Planer boards - gear and other techniques and tips

Old 06-29-2010, 11:15 PM
Striper Hunter

Default First Time Trolling (didn't go so well)

Never tried trolling for them before, but thought I would give it a try in the old 12' aluminum with my hand-crank downrigger. Tried using Tube N Worm...must have pulled it around for an hour and a half in good water but not even a tug. I was marking fish but none were taking. Maybe I wasn't low enough?

Was using Pollack fillets instead of seaworms since that's all I had handy...could that be my problem?

It doesn't help that the downrigger's tightening nut is now sitting at the bottom of the bay. Guess it's time for lead core.

Any tips on trolling would be appreciated. Anyone troll deceivers or spoons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010, 12:15 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: First Time Trolling (didn't go so well)

Tube-n-worm is pretty simple. My favorite setup is fishing the tube with an actual worm on leadcore line. I typically fish in water 15-20 feet deep, and most of my fish come with 3-4.5 colors of line out. Make sure to troll slow. 1.5-2 knots!

Brad