Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Rick James's Avatar
Rick James Rick James is offline
Mad Bass Lure Company
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rotterdam, NY
Posts: 26
Default Where to launch around Albany?

Where is the best place to launch where you aren't going to wait in line for an hour? Any help would be appreciated.........
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-08-2010, 02:53 PM
freddie the j freddie the j is offline
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 361
Default Re: Where to launch around Albany?

Even during the striper run I have never had to wait an hour at any of these places, but it is always good to go very early and stay late:
1. Corning preserve in downtown Albany. Parking can be a problem unless you get there early, particularly if there is some event going on.
2. Rensselaer, more or less directly across from the Corning preserve. Parking is limited and the pavement does not go all the way to the water at low tide. Not an issue if you have 4WD, or wait until the tide comes back up.
3. Henry Hudson park about 8 miles south of Albany on 144.
4. Schodack Island state park in Castleton, but it may not be open this year.
5. Also state launches in Coyemans and Coxsackie, about 12 and 20 miles south of Albany respectively.
6. There is a launch above the dam in Troy, would have to traverse the federal lock, I dont' know if its open yet.
7. Right below the troy dam there is a gravel area that could be used for a car topper or possible trailer launch with 4WD.

You can see all of these sites on google earth.
tight lines!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Rick James's Avatar
Rick James Rick James is offline
Mad Bass Lure Company
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rotterdam, NY
Posts: 26
Default Re: Where to launch around Albany?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie the j View Post
Even during the striper run I have never had to wait an hour at any of these places, but it is always good to go very early and stay late:
1. Corning preserve in downtown Albany. Parking can be a problem unless you get there early, particularly if there is some event going on.
2. Rensselaer, more or less directly across from the Corning preserve. Parking is limited and the pavement does not go all the way to the water at low tide. Not an issue if you have 4WD, or wait until the tide comes back up.
3. Henry Hudson park about 8 miles south of Albany on 144.
4. Schodack Island state park in Castleton, but it may not be open this year.
5. Also state launches in Coyemans and Coxsackie, about 12 and 20 miles south of Albany respectively.
6. There is a launch above the dam in Troy, would have to traverse the federal lock, I dont' know if its open yet.
7. Right below the troy dam there is a gravel area that could be used for a car topper or possible trailer launch with 4WD.

You can see all of these sites on google earth.
tight lines!
Great info! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-09-2010, 04:53 PM
paw daddy paw daddy is offline
Official Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: scoharie county, n.y.
Posts: 8
Default Re: Where to launch around Albany?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick James View Post
Where is the best place to launch where you aren't going to wait in line for an hour? Any help would be appreciated.........
why do you want to launch around albany , it is insane around albany . take the time and drive down to the bethelem launch or the catskill launch and you will find it to be a enjoyable event i have been going there for years and wouldnt even get close to albany the part of the river farther south is quiet and you will not hear the car traffic like the albany area. i have even played with wild turkeys on the shore while striper fishing . now that is fun talking to gobblers with my mouth call and reeling in a striper at the same time . good luck guy
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-12-2010, 07:42 PM
2stripers 2stripers is offline
Official member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 106
Default Re: Where to launch around Albany?

as i went by the HH.today they were seting the posts to hook the docks to. so i would say the docks will be in some time tomarrow.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-12-2010, 08:34 PM
greatfeedbag greatfeedbag is offline
Lunker
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ballston Lake, NY
Posts: 152
Default Re: Where to launch around Albany?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paw daddy View Post
why do you want to launch around albany , it is insane around albany . take the time and drive down to the bethelem launch or the catskill launch and you will find it to be a enjoyable event i have been going there for years and wouldnt even get close to albany the part of the river farther south is quiet and you will not hear the car traffic like the albany area. i have even played with wild turkeys on the shore while striper fishing . now that is fun talking to gobblers with my mouth call and reeling in a striper at the same time . good luck guy
It is much easier to jig up herring for bait around the Albany-Troy area however!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Gambler473 Gambler473 is offline
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5
Default Re: Where to launch around Albany?

Bethlehem is much better than Albany to launch. Albany is a zoo between the boats and the crew teams that think they bought and paid for the place. It is just a mess.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-13-2010, 03:33 PM
chiefpanfish chiefpanfish is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 22
Default Re: Where to launch around Albany?

Anyone know anything about the Schodack Island launch?? If it's open or closed. Thanks Chief
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-13-2010, 06:12 PM
wellsley wellsley is offline
wellsley
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Schoharie co. NY
Posts: 333
Default Re: Where to launch around Albany?

I believe it is open.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Tony T Tony T is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: green mountains
Posts: 166
Default Re: Where to launch around Albany?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpanfish View Post
Anyone know anything about the Schodack Island launch?? If it's open or closed. Thanks Chief

If they don't open it, it's a REEL good reason to put the state legislators heads on a spit come November.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-19-2010, 11:53 AM
ChinookonFly ChinookonFly is offline
First Mate
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Delmar, NY
Posts: 102
Default Re: Where to launch around Albany?

The 'launch' near the lock at the dam can be tricky with a trailer. Make sure you have 4WD and I wouldn't try to launch anything too big.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-19-2010, 01:11 PM
dwmopar dwmopar is offline
Striper Hunter
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 23
Exclamation Re: Where to launch around Albany?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
If they don't open it, it's a REEL good reason to put the state legislators heads on a spit come November.



I have no up-to-date info on the Schodack Park launch......but I don't think it will close, because the State Of NY will lose MILLIONS in Federal aid if they do not open it! I am not sure Paterson thought of THAT when he announced the closures!

As for the legislators, they ALL need to go on the spit in November, regardless!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-24-2010, 04:42 PM
DizzyBlonde's Avatar
DizzyBlonde DizzyBlonde is offline
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5
Default Re: Where to launch around Albany?

We put in very early this morning (445ish) at HH and there were minimal people there at that time. I think there were only 3 boat trailers there besides ours... Not bad!
Coming back in around 2 this afternoon wasnt bad either which really suprised us. Usually we end up waiting for a while due to new boaters and people putting thier boats in for the first time of the year and not having run them before hand. I think we waited about 10 minutes... again, not bad!
Everyone we have run into at HH has always been pleasant for the most part. Theres even usually a guy there at the docks who will help you if you need it. he has a dock stick and will hold your boat while you get your truck if your alone... THANKS!!!
We did go down past the Schodack launch and as far as we could tell it was open... of course thats the area where we saw 3 encon officers too!!
We caught a dozen or so herring for bait and Hubby had a few good hits but we didnt land anything other than a pike and a few cat fish!
was great to be out there though and we will be back trying again whenever possible for the season! I saw where someone posted that this would be prime time to be unemployed!! I would defineltly agree with that for the season!!!
We been fishing the Hudson for Striper for 4 years now and still have yet to get one. I guess if we keep trying sooner or later the odds will be in our favor! Hope everyone had better luck, see you out there soon!

This Board is awesome!! Great people here with awesome stories and pointers!

Tight Lines For All!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
albany, launch

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to Albany Area albanyfishnut Hudson River 1 01-18-2009 09:03 PM
Delaware River launch ramps - access and fish species Striperjim Delaware River 1 03-28-2007 12:08 AM
Shore fishing Albany, New York Corli1 The Striper Forum 2 05-26-2006 06:05 PM
Stripers at the Troy Dam? Easports34 Hudson River 72 05-12-2006 11:23 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 - 2013 Stripers247.com LLC
Affiliated Sites:   Noreast.com   Allcoast.com    2coolfishing.com
© 2011 Noreast Media, LLC | Terms of Service | Contact Us | Advertise