Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Mad Bass Lure Company

Default Where to launch around Albany?

Where is the best place to launch where you aren't going to wait in line for an hour? Any help would be appreciated.........
Old 04-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Where to launch around Albany?

Even during the striper run I have never had to wait an hour at any of these places, but it is always good to go very early and stay late:
1. Corning preserve in downtown Albany. Parking can be a problem unless you get there early, particularly if there is some event going on.
2. Rensselaer, more or less directly across from the Corning preserve. Parking is limited and the pavement does not go all the way to the water at low tide. Not an issue if you have 4WD, or wait until the tide comes back up.
3. Henry Hudson park about 8 miles south of Albany on 144.
4. Schodack Island state park in Castleton, but it may not be open this year.
5. Also state launches in Coyemans and Coxsackie, about 12 and 20 miles south of Albany respectively.
6. There is a launch above the dam in Troy, would have to traverse the federal lock, I dont' know if its open yet.
7. Right below the troy dam there is a gravel area that could be used for a car topper or possible trailer launch with 4WD.

You can see all of these sites on google earth.
tight lines!
Old 04-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Mad Bass Lure Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie the j View Post
Even during the striper run I have never had to wait an hour at any of these places, but it is always good to go very early and stay late:
1. Corning preserve in downtown Albany. Parking can be a problem unless you get there early, particularly if there is some event going on.
2. Rensselaer, more or less directly across from the Corning preserve. Parking is limited and the pavement does not go all the way to the water at low tide. Not an issue if you have 4WD, or wait until the tide comes back up.
3. Henry Hudson park about 8 miles south of Albany on 144.
4. Schodack Island state park in Castleton, but it may not be open this year.
5. Also state launches in Coyemans and Coxsackie, about 12 and 20 miles south of Albany respectively.
6. There is a launch above the dam in Troy, would have to traverse the federal lock, I dont' know if its open yet.
7. Right below the troy dam there is a gravel area that could be used for a car topper or possible trailer launch with 4WD.

You can see all of these sites on google earth.
tight lines!
Great info! Thanks!!
Old 04-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick James View Post
Where is the best place to launch where you aren't going to wait in line for an hour? Any help would be appreciated.........
why do you want to launch around albany , it is insane around albany . take the time and drive down to the bethelem launch or the catskill launch and you will find it to be a enjoyable event i have been going there for years and wouldnt even get close to albany the part of the river farther south is quiet and you will not hear the car traffic like the albany area. i have even played with wild turkeys on the shore while striper fishing . now that is fun talking to gobblers with my mouth call and reeling in a striper at the same time . good luck guy
Old 04-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Official member

as i went by the HH.today they were seting the posts to hook the docks to. so i would say the docks will be in some time tomarrow.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by paw daddy View Post
why do you want to launch around albany , it is insane around albany . take the time and drive down to the bethelem launch or the catskill launch and you will find it to be a enjoyable event i have been going there for years and wouldnt even get close to albany the part of the river farther south is quiet and you will not hear the car traffic like the albany area. i have even played with wild turkeys on the shore while striper fishing . now that is fun talking to gobblers with my mouth call and reeling in a striper at the same time . good luck guy
It is much easier to jig up herring for bait around the Albany-Troy area however!!
Old 04-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Official Member

Bethlehem is much better than Albany to launch. Albany is a zoo between the boats and the crew teams that think they bought and paid for the place. It is just a mess.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Striper Hunter

Anyone know anything about the Schodack Island launch?? If it's open or closed. Thanks Chief
Old 04-13-2010, 06:12 PM
wellsley

I believe it is open.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpanfish View Post
Anyone know anything about the Schodack Island launch?? If it's open or closed. Thanks Chief

If they don't open it, it's a REEL good reason to put the state legislators heads on a spit come November.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:53 AM
First Mate

The 'launch' near the lock at the dam can be tricky with a trailer. Make sure you have 4WD and I wouldn't try to launch anything too big.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Striper Hunter

Exclamation Re: Where to launch around Albany?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
If they don't open it, it's a REEL good reason to put the state legislators heads on a spit come November.

I have no up-to-date info on the Schodack Park launch......but I don't think it will close, because the State Of NY will lose MILLIONS in Federal aid if they do not open it! I am not sure Paterson thought of THAT when he announced the closures!

As for the legislators, they ALL need to go on the spit in November, regardless!
Old 04-24-2010, 04:42 PM
Official Member

We put in very early this morning (445ish) at HH and there were minimal people there at that time. I think there were only 3 boat trailers there besides ours... Not bad!
Coming back in around 2 this afternoon wasnt bad either which really suprised us. Usually we end up waiting for a while due to new boaters and people putting thier boats in for the first time of the year and not having run them before hand. I think we waited about 10 minutes... again, not bad!
Everyone we have run into at HH has always been pleasant for the most part. Theres even usually a guy there at the docks who will help you if you need it. he has a dock stick and will hold your boat while you get your truck if your alone... THANKS!!!
We did go down past the Schodack launch and as far as we could tell it was open... of course thats the area where we saw 3 encon officers too!!
We caught a dozen or so herring for bait and Hubby had a few good hits but we didnt land anything other than a pike and a few cat fish!
was great to be out there though and we will be back trying again whenever possible for the season! I saw where someone posted that this would be prime time to be unemployed!! I would defineltly agree with that for the season!!!
We been fishing the Hudson for Striper for 4 years now and still have yet to get one. I guess if we keep trying sooner or later the odds will be in our favor! Hope everyone had better luck, see you out there soon!

This Board is awesome!! Great people here with awesome stories and pointers!

Tight Lines For All!!!