Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 03-26-2010, 02:44 AM
Official Member

Default Catching Herring?

Hi, I searched the topic but am still alot confused. How do you catch live herring? I saw a few diffrent methods explained but didnt understand a word of it. So whats the easyest way to catch herring with a fishing pole? Do you use bait? Or just a trebble hook like you do for shad, Cast out and pull fast and hope to snag one? If someone could explain the method in babytalk so a stupid newbie like me can understand it I would really be gratefull. Thanks in advance..
Old 03-26-2010, 07:28 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Catching Herring?

get yourself a 2 OZ. weight and a sabiki rig( they look like flies on a line with tiny hooks) gander mountain sells them. If on a boat drop to the bottom and jig, if on shore cast out and jig back thats all there is to it. just have to be in the right spot
Old 03-26-2010, 08:11 AM
I am motherf*ucker

http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/search.php
search for the terms scapping, scap net, stoolie and sabiki rig
Old 03-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Official Member

Don't try snagging them it's illegal, you will get caught and fined, especially on the Hudson. Sabiki rigs are the way to go with a weight on the bottom, but you have to cut one fly off to be legal. They come with 6 and NY allows 5. I fish from a boat and just cast out and reel in slow jig if you want. You do have to be in the right spot. If your in a boat try different spots until you get bit, shouldn't take more than one cast if you find them. Keep your eye out for someone else getting them and fish a reasonable distance from them, you should still get a few.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:49 AM
I am motherf*ucker

Quote:
If someone could explain the method in babytalk
Cast out a rubber / resin lure (stoolie) or any type of small shiny lure - If the herring are close by they will follow the lure in - when they get close, net em. Fun - but they are cagy.

To use the sabiki - just dip it up and down off of the dock or boat or as has been mentioned cast it - no bait - they will go after the shiny but tiny hooks.

The scapping method takes two guys. One to cast the stoolie and guide the herring towards the net, and the second guy to lift the net.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Winning !
Pro Staff

I use the Stoolie/Dip net method (one man operation) but it takes pratice that's for sure. I always need a few early ones to get the cobwebs off me LOL . The scap net makes things a lot easier if you have a few guys.

From a boat the Sabiki rig is the only way to go and when the Herring are "in" good, that can be the easy and fun. Kids have a blast catching them this way.

Best thing to do is go with somebody who has done it before, or if you see othere fishermen netting them, watch carefully and ask them questions

BB
Old 03-27-2010, 11:59 PM
Official Member

i too do the one man scap operation...i find it a little easier alone (only one person spooking them). Try to find a little tree to stand under or some other form of shade. if you have the means of keeping then alive this is the way to go...if you are looking to grab a few and head out then jig but it is a lot more stressful on them (as we all know they are delicate flowers) if you are trying to stock up on them for the week.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:43 AM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Good point Seds about "hiding" in the shade ... for any noob trying to net Herring, here are a few tips ...

-Don't where bright clothes, they will spook easy
-DO where polerized glasses, much easier to see them
-Don't stab at them with the net, let them come to you
-Practice, Practice, Practice

I have been doing this for 10yrs now, it can be tough some days. Just stick to it ... persistance really does pay off.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:23 AM
Striper Hunter

while i know nothing about catching herring on sabiki rigs i do know that a white largemouth bass spinner, storm wild eye shad swim bait or any other large swim bait ( my favorite color being dark green with a yellow belly) will bring herring in, again like many others ive found it easier to catch herring alone. but it can be a great way to kill time in between runs with some friends. i dont have a scap net and just use a regular dip net but remember there is a size limit on dip nets ( 13 inches in diameter i believe ) even though you can have a huge scap net, the logic there is lost on me. make sure your net is a dark color and in the water before you start your retrieve as trying to quickly get the net in the water to scoop the herring will ultimately scare result in a failed attempt.once you catch your first herring and have a stoolie dont be afraid to use a rod with some back bone and decent line i know plenty of people that have landed some decent fish that have hit there stoolies. Also work your stoolie around in a circular motion you may not see herring following it initially but on the second or third loop you can often spot them. if you dont have polarized sunglasses, get some
Old 03-28-2010, 08:00 AM
Striper Hunter

Agreeing with StriperJim, I also use a large rubber lure to lure the herring in over the scap net. Another method I use and found that does work, is I bought a 5 0r 6 inch Red Devil spoon at Gander Mountain. The one with the two red stripes and white in the middle. I take the paint off of the spoon so it is all chrome, and remove the huge treble hook from it also. Just cast out and retrieve to the net. As others have said, invest in the polarized glasses, it makes a difference on what you see coming to the net. The scap net can be a one man operation with some practice, but is easier with two people. The guy manning the net just has to stand still while the other guy brings the herring to him. I've brought herring to the net with a stoolie from a good 50 feet away just to get bait. Time and practice is all it takes.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Striper Hunter

another tip when trying to scap herring in the river, sometimes you cant see the herring bc of the murky water just pull the net every time you bring the stoolie in. there have been many times you cant see them and just pull the net and have a few in the net. actually it is easier sometimes bc they cant see you just like you cant see them. hope this helps
Old 03-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Quote:
i dont have a scap net and just use a regular dip net but remember there is a size limit on dip nets ( 13 inches in diameter i believe ) even though you can have a huge scap net,

Yes net size is important too. You need to purchase a netting lic from DEC once you go over a certain size. It only cost a couple bucks but you need to send in a report at the end of the season of what you netted and when.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:32 PM
First Mate

I just bought a pole dedicated to scapping. For years I've either used one of my regular 8'-9' stripers which are a pain because of their length, or a 6'6" regular spinning rod which was woefully inadequate. Now I have a 5'6" one piece rod that is rated for up to 2 ounces and is nice and thick yet short enough to be easily used! Best part is that it was only $20 at Dick's.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner1 View Post
I just bought a pole dedicated to scapping. For years I've either used one of my regular 8'-9' stripers which are a pain because of their length, or a 6'6" regular spinning rod which was woefully inadequate. Now I have a 5'6" one piece rod that is rated for up to 2 ounces and is nice and thick yet short enough to be easily used! Best part is that it was only $20 at Dick's.
Nice find ... i don't dare bring a good rod for that because it gets the crap beat out of it. I have been just using an old bass set up that was laying around.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:09 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funforfree33 View Post
Hi, I searched the topic but am still alot confused. How do you catch live herring? I saw a few diffrent methods explained but didnt understand a word of it. So whats the easyest way to catch herring with a fishing pole? Do you use bait? Or just a trebble hook like you do for shad, Cast out and pull fast and hope to snag one? If someone could explain the method in babytalk so a stupid newbie like me can understand it I would really be gratefull. Thanks in advance..

lol....poor guy, just rereading the old posts and he was asking about jigging herring...well as you have probably realized by now it is not the prefered method by most. make the investment in a scap net...they are worth it and do yourself a favor, and i can't stress this enought, DO NOT BUILD THE FRAME OUT OF PVC PIPES! i can't tell you how many dozens of herring i have given to the poor guys that get up to the falls with their homemade nets and they explode on them on the third pull(due to the drag of the minow seine they use). I feel bad and throw em some bait for the good laugh.

scap net $60, cheap pole to throw around $20, not ever having to pay for bait again.....priceless!