Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Striper Hunter

Default surf bags

I am looking for a surf bag. What do you guys recommend. I looked at this one at todays sportsman show. NOt sure if this is to big and bulky I think it had 10 tubes for plugs.
Ocean Shield II Surf Fishing Bag
  • Ten tubes + 2 tackle boxes for all types of plugs, even the largest lures for on-shore or dock fishing. Innovative design made of 600D polyester, lined w/ durable PVC sheets, padded, and a double flip-flap closure in the interior provide added security re-enforced by heavy duty Velcro on the external flap.
  • Mesh pocket on the side provides easy storage & access. Bottom of bag is made of stainless steel grommets for quick drainage.
  • Detachable hook attached to a loop strap provides the options of strapping across the shoulders, the hips, or just unhook them & Velcro hook it to your belt.
  • Amazing design for the avid outdoors sportsmen & fishermen who aim for light and convenient storage system.
  • Size: 11.75" x 25" x 9"
Old 02-15-2010, 12:52 PM
Official Member

Default Re: surf bags

The only thing I don't like about that bag is the mesh on the side. Hooks and mesh don't mix too well. I have owned alot of bags Canyon,BW,Aquaskinz etc. The best bag for me is the Surfcaster Ultimate.The only draw back to it is it is very heavy.So I made a custom insert out of much lighter tubing kept the grandstand seating concept though. First row is 5" for small stuff second row is 6" third is 7" Have been using it several years now and still like it the best. The velcro is great quality also. It stays secure even when your taking waves over your head. And if it means anything they are still made in the USA. Hope this helps
Old 02-15-2010, 01:14 PM
I am motherf*ucker

The precision pack bags are pretty decent and not as expensive as Aquaskins Van Staal or Hunter. They will get the job done. They are made of polyester - but not as well made as the others. Fabe hit it on the head with the mesh side pack. You can snip it off or modify it.

Here is a poll we took on plug bags
Old 02-20-2010, 08:56 PM
Striper Hunter

I have a Precision Pack bag. It sounds like the one you are describing and the one in the photo, except it does not have the mesh pocket or the plastic tackle boxes (which is good because I didn't want them anyway). I think I may have the newer model.

First the good - the bag seems well made and durable. It has lots of pockets and very good storage. The pocket under the main flap is perfect for storing leaders. The velcro is very strong and the bag is fairly light. The straps on the back are easy to use with your wader belt and there are D-rings back there too. The price is very reasonable.

Now the bad - the bag is a little too tall in my opinion. The tubes are very deep and if you drop a plug to the bottom it is a pain to get it back out. My fix for this was to make small blocks from aluminum foil and put one in the bottom of each tube. Because the bag is so tall, it can be a little awkward to wear and work with. If you are tall, it may not be an issue.

Overall, I am happy with the bag. The size is kind of a pain, but I still use it as one of my main bags.

I also have a bag from the Surfcaster. Very good quality, not as many pockets and yes, very heavy due to the inserts.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:55 AM
Striper Hunter

I picked up the Ocean shield surf bag at the show this past week end. I got a good price for it so could not pass it up. Now I just need to load it up!! Got my gaint pikes and needle fish ready. It is coming. Can't wait
Thanks for the feed back guy
the bandit
Old 03-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Striper Hunter

does anyone here use bronco plug bags?
Old 03-07-2010, 07:50 AM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

I just picked up a small bronco bag. The interior of the bag neds duct tape from what I understand from others who have used them because the material is a hook magnet.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Striper Hunter

I have 2 bronco bags I purchased on fleabay, a small four row bag and a medium bag. My only problem with the bag so far is that there are caps on the bottom of the tubes and they tend to pop off from time to time causing my plugs to find there way to the bottom of the bag. Oh ya I also don't like the fact that the shoulder strap is sown on because that would normally be where I put my leader material. As far as hooks getting caught on the material it hasn't happened to me yet. But overall I like the bag it's really durable has lots of storage, plenty of drainage holes it's just a rugged bag for the price. At least the price I paid hehe
Old 05-05-2010, 04:19 PM

I have a Bronco and Precision Pack surfbags that I wear on my belt.
They work for me, shoulder feels much better.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3280018.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	13394

Name:	P3280019.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	13395

Name:	P3280021.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	13396

Name:	P4170006.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	13397

Name:	P4170005.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	13398
Old 05-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstrike82 View Post
I have 2 bronco bags I purchased on fleabay, a small four row bag and a medium bag. My only problem with the bag so far is that there are caps on the bottom of the tubes and they tend to pop off from time to time causing my plugs to find there way to the bottom of the bag

Glue those caps with 5 min. epoxy.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:50 PM
I am motherf*ucker

I used duct tape. Duct tape on everything.
Pop some pin holes in it to let it drain if you need to. lol
Glue's a better idea.