Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Knot Instruction.

32K views 54 replies 18 participants last post by  Striperjim 
#1 ·
Animated Knots by Grog
The Snell Knot

First pass the tag end through the eye of the hook from the front of the hook. Only pass it through about half an inch.
Hold the shank of the hook and the half inch tag end and wrap the trace around both the shank of the hook and the tag end 7 or 8 turns.
Pass the trace back down through the eye of the hook from the back of the hook.
Pull the trace tight while holding the hook to set the snell.
There should be very little or no tag end protruding when the knot is set. Then pull tight you have a snelled hook that you can tie to a swivel with a uni knot.

You can also use a uniknot to snell a hook.

1) Thread six inches of line through the eye of the hook. 2) Hold the line against the hook's shank, and form a Uni-Knot circle.

3) Make five to seven turns through the loop and around the standing line and hook's shank.

4) Tighten by pulling the standing line in one direction and the tag end in the other.

See less See more
#2 ·
Palomar Knot

Palomar Knot is easy to tie, exceptionally strong and very popular with bass fishing pros for tying on jigs and worm hooks. It is somewhat awkward to tie when using lures with treble hooks, but it is the recommended knot for braided lines.

#3 ·
The Uni Knot

The Uni Popular fishermans knot. Used for connecting hooks, swivels, rings and lures. Its main advantage is that it retains virtually 90% breaking strain. Easy to tie even in the the dark after some practice.

#4 ·
Albright Knot

Albright Knot Animated Albright
This knot is used to join two lines of different thicknesses. It is used to attach a heavier 'leader' (rather than a double) to a lighter main line.
It requires careful forming of the loops. I use it to tie on a shockleader.

#5 ·
Blood Knot

Blood Knot This is a high strength knot to join two similar thicknesses of line. It's main advantage is it's low profile enabling it to run smoothly through rod line guides.

#6 ·
Shockleader Knot

Shockleader knot to use when joining large diameter line to a thin diameter line. I find this one very easy and durable.

Step 1: Tie an overhand (Granny) knot in the heavy trace material and pass your lighter main line through.

Step 2: Pull the overhand knot in the heavy line tightly closed. Take four or five turns around the heavy line with the light.
Step 3: Pass the light line back through the first loop as shown. Lubricate with saliva and pull tight. Trim end to about 2mm.
Use a length of heavier nylon at the working end of your main line. The shock leader should be about 2 to 2 and half times the length of your rod. The weight of shock leader line should generally be two or three times the breaking strain of your main line.
We use what is called a "tapered" shock leader which is approximately 20 lb at one end (which attaches to the main line) and about 40 to 70 lb at the sinker end. This allows for smoother travel through the guides on your rod.

#8 ·
Wind on Wire leader

Wind on Wire Leader - A fairly simple join which enables reasonably long plastic coated wire traces to be wound up through the rod guides. Can be used for casting lures.

#12 ·
Try a double nail knot. I use it to attach my mono leaders on Try it , pull it. The line will break everywhere but on the knot.

The double nail Knot

The Nail Knot is generally used to attach fly line to fly line backing. This knot can also be used to attach a leader to a line. This makes a strong smooth knot that rolls out when casting. The nail knot is good for attaching two lines of different diameters.

1 - Hold nail or needle, tip of fly line and backing material between thumb and forefinger. Wrap backing 6 or 7 turns. Wind carefully for a tight, smooth knot. Stick end of backing between nail and fly line.

2 - Remove nail. Holding coils carefully between thumb and forefinger, alternately pull both ends of backing with free hand to tighten.

3 - Snip off excess backing and end of fly line.

#14 ·
http://www.noreast.com/discussion/ViewTopic.cfm?page=1&startrow=1&topic_ID=25971
I took the info from Noreast.com
Thanks Red
Thanks for the post
This is what Alberto wrote about that knot

"Since the inception of the super lines (about 10 years ago)? there was no real mono to braid knots. And those common knots everyone recommended just didnt cut it! Because we are in the high-tech age and introducing a new material to the equation (braid with special coatings / Fluorocarbon leaders / non stretch fibers), I actually tried many recommended knots (with frustrations) so I came up with this knot for myself and Ive been using ever since. I have a few friends (& some world record friends) who loves it and will not go back. In fact, it is being well received through out (from Mexico / Costa Rica / Florida and Canada) and I am glad everyone is enjoying it.

The key to my knot is simple. Make sure everything is "snug and tight". Once it is done correctly, You should not have any problems! Although I noticed that there are new lines coming out with added slippery coatings (to allow more distance) it may be a good idea to dab it with crazy glue. Personally, I tie straight without it but if it adds confidence do it."

#15 ·
The Spider Hitch

The Spider Hitch

The spider hitch is second only to the Bimini Twist but is much faster and easier to tie. The drawback is that it needs to be perfectly tightened or it may cut itself. When pulling the knot closed, both loops need to be the same size. If they are not you can adjust the loop by either pulling the tag or standing line until they are both the same size and then you can close the knot. Keeping the knot wet is a must.

#16 ·
Hi - Lo rig Question

Hi All,

Maybe someone could help me out with a knot question.

I'm tying a Hi-Lo rig using two Dropper Loops ~ 18" apart, 16" to a barrel swivel on top to main line, another 18" to a snap swivel on bottom to sinker. Is there an easy and secure way to attach the hooks directly to the loop without additional line?

Loop thru the eye, twist, lasso the hook..... Something like that?

Thanks,

Doug aka Blue_Adept2

----------------------------------+<*))))))))))))))))))><

#17 ·
Blue. The loops can be made long enough to attach a hook directly to the loop. You can use the palomar to tie the hook to the loop.

A better method of forming a loop, or loops, in the line above the sinker is to use the old Dropper Loop. This draws into a knot that stands out at right angles to the line. If desired, the loops can be made long enough to have a hook set on them.

The Palomar Knot

#22 ·
I guess I'm the only one that uses the Homer Rhodes knot?
I looked for something to show as to post it here,, but the only one I found that can be cut and pasted is shown wrong (or at least not the way I tie it).

PS; I'm board, maybe I'll photo my version and post it?

#24 ·
Jim,
That's one of the ones I saw on the net. But, it's a bit different than the way I was shown and have been using.
The top knot is,,,, backwards(?)
The way I'm using it you can undo and change lures and redo without any cutting or such with 40+# leader material.
Having used it for years I've found it to be almost failsafe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.