Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:39 AM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Question Penn 704z

Well i decided to do some rock hopping this fall in Montauk so i picked up a Penn 704z, did all the tricks, made my holes, painted it(no powder coat yet),got a sealed bearing, new handle,drag,drag knob,shaft and manual bail(not sure how this works) My question is do you guys pack the reel with grease? I mean really pack it tight or just lob a lot by the entryways? Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2009, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Penn 704z

Pack it tight. The idea is to leave no room in the case for water.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:45 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Pack it tight. The idea is to leave no room in the case for water.

IF you really want to get packed in put a zirc fitting on it and seal the case with RTV. Pump the grease in until it begins to come out of the bearing enclosure just below the rotor cup.

I use white lithium. It seems to hold up better to colder temps and won't be as stiff.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:14 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Thanks for the info guys. Jackbass. i'm not familiar with RTV. Is that a teflon spray? On the zirc fitting front, what store would carry that?
Old 09-01-2009, 07:19 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

CAP has zirc fittings and RTV for that matter. RTV is a silicone caulking. Do not use it around moving parts just a very thin bead where the plate seals to the body. The RTV is highly optional if you load enough grease into the reel you should not have an issue with water getting into the reel.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Veteran Elite

Nice job! She looks pretty
Old 09-02-2009, 01:26 AM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Thanks backbayj. We'll see how this paint holds up. If she fishes well i'll take her to get powdercoated.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:59 AM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

thanks again jackbass! Good INFO!
Old 10-25-2009, 01:03 PM
Official Member

What kind of sealed bearing do you use? I have a couple 704's and I'm in thee process of redoing them. If you have a part number or name that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-25-2009, 05:22 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Yeah, me three, I need to find 'the guy that does 704's' as I'm leaving for afganistan shortly, and I want my old girl to squeel like a pig when I get back!!

I've always used the moly grease I get from work. It's what we used to grease the earth moving machines, so I figured it's fine for slow moving gears.

I think 'Moly grease' stands for molybdenum. Not really sure, but it seem to keep ball joints, U-joints, and pins in good order so why not?
Old 10-26-2009, 12:07 AM
First Mate

Well if the Penn bearing is not sealed then you need to know the size of bearing, in mm, Then you have several options where to get your bearings-VXB, Boca, or even through Smooth Drag. Check with Smooth Drag as that is where you should get your Drag Washers from anyway 'Carbontex' they may be the same as the newer Penn Carbon Fiber drag washers but not sure. With the bearing I'm pretty sure the new old stock Penn bearing for the 704 is closed but not sure of the rating.(I can buy a 1/2 to a full sleeve of ten bearings for what they charge though) It should not really matter what if any ABEC rating the bearing has as it's not high speed but a ABEC 3,5 or 7 rating would be fine. I only see 1 bearing on my parts schematic. I need to check inside reel as I'm surprised that I don't see a bushng or bearing for the rear of the Pinion Gear.

I would also install a manual bail kit if I was you, but I'm not so your choice.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike302 View Post
What kind of sealed bearing do you use? I have a couple 704's and I'm in thee process of redoing them. If you have a part number or name that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
I got it from VXB Bearings. kit 1058 R6-2Rs Ceramic Bearing Stainless: Sealed: ABEC-5 3/8"x7/8"x9/32" 9x22x7(metric) $9.95
Old 11-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpohlson View Post
Yeah, me three, I need to find 'the guy that does 704's' as I'm leaving for afganistan shortly, and I want my old girl to squeel like a pig when I get back!!

I've always used the moly grease I get from work. It's what we used to grease the earth moving machines, so I figured it's fine for slow moving gears.

I think 'Moly grease' stands for molybdenum. Not really sure, but it seem to keep ball joints, U-joints, and pins in good order so why not?
buckos in fall river look them up on the web
Old 11-07-2009, 04:46 PM
First Mate

I will be doing my own this winter. The only thing I may farm out is the paint not sure if it's going to be powder or auto paint. I will rebuild the drag and also add another drag washer to the stack to give more drag power which will also allow it to be smoother.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:06 PM

FWIW, mine was done using powderpaint which started getting chipped on it's first trip out. Autobody paint and sealer seems to hold up a lot better.