Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New Jersey
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New Jersey Regional discussion, news and reports for striped bass fishing in New Jersey

Old 08-27-2009, 01:52 PM
I am motherf*ucker

Default New Jersey Saltwater License / registry

The actual cost of administering a registry to be about $2 an angler. In New Jersey where the actual number of saltwater fishers is an unknown entity, this could be quite a burden on the budget.
By January 2011, any state without its own registry will be charged a federal fee to register.

A special lottery and potential marine fishery license plates have been suggested as funding sources for New Jersey’s registry and data collection, this money coming from an outside user group would not be as protected in the state coffers as direct licensing fees would be.
Some groups are promoting a "free" (or low fee) New Jersey registry to meet the federal mandate instead of a saltwater license. Although a free registry would meet the federal mandate, it would do nothing to enhance New Jersey's ability to collect data to support fishermen's positions in the management process. It would also not make New Jersey eligible for additional federal fisheries management money.
Anglers who pay for a license will be more invested in how the state apportions the funds collected.
While it is certainly more agreeable to have a free registry, the reality is that without serious funding the only thing New Jersey gets is a ‘phone book’ of saltwater anglers and a very large bill to pay for it.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:16 PM
I am motherf*ucker

Default Re: New Jersey Saltwater License / registry

The NJ DEP Division of Fish and Wildlife reminds saltwater anglers that the federal government's National Saltwater Angler Registry Program requires most New Jersey saltwater anglers to register prior to fishing in 2010.

You must register if you*

* Fish for or catch anadromous species (striped bass, shad, river herring) in state tidal waters
* Fish in Federal waters (more than 3 miles from shore)

You do not have to register if you*

* Are under 16 years of age
* Only fish on federally licensed party or charter boats
* Hold a Highly Migratory Species Angling Permit

Online and telephone registration will begin January 1, 2010.

Register online at www.countmyfish.noaa.gov
or call toll free 888-674-7411.

Registration is free in 2010.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Official Member

striperjim posted this...You must register if you*

* Fish for or catch anadromous species (striped bass, shad, river herring) in state tidal waters
* Fish in Federal waters (more than 3 miles from shore)

What is the definition of tidal waters...estuaries, bays etc. Or is tidal water any water affected by tides which includes the ocean. I never gave it much thought till I read the rules. I fish for shad near del. water gap, is that considered tidal water also?
Also, does anyone know how long it wil take to get proof of the Fed. registration? I want to try my luck in Jan. for some striped bass being I caught zero in the fall.

thanks for any help with this
Frank
Old 12-22-2009, 02:53 PM
I am motherf*ucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJay02
I fish for shad near del. water gap, is that considered tidal water also?
Shad are covered by your freshwater license in the river. Below Calhoon street bridge on the New Jersey Side was considered the demarcation line. For tidal /non tidal.
All water in the Pa side was considered for a freshwater license. Right to the Delaware Bay.
I may have to double check this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJay02
Also, does anyone know how long it wil take to get proof of the Fed. registration?
Your mandated to register for 2010 but a payment will be necessary in 2011.
Online and telephone registration will begin January 1, 2010.
http://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/
Old 12-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Official Member

thanks striperjim....this may sound stupid, but is the ocean considered tidal waters. I think there is a spot near the false hook at SAndy Hook that is considered estuarine...right of it is considered ocean. I believe estuarine , bay etc. the striper season is closed for the month of January.
I always thought tidal waters was bay and estuaries with some kind of demarcation, like in the Raritan River near Piscataway.
That registration is for any saltwater, brackish included....right...wrong?
thanks again
Frank
Old 12-22-2009, 07:26 PM
I am motherf*ucker

Quote:
That registration is for any saltwater, brackish included....right
Right

13. Does the registry apply to fishing in state waters?

Generally, no, but with some exceptions. Anglers must register if they fish in tidal waters for migratory fish such as striped bass and salmon that spawn in rivers and spend their adult lives in estuaries and oceans. However, those who fish recreationally for these migratory species inland of tidal waters need not register.

Quote:
I want to try my luck in Jan. for some striped bass being I caught zero in the fall.
The season is closed in N.Y. in January and technically you are not supposed to target the species.
Some practice catch and release at some warm water discharge areas in the frosty temps.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Old Salt
Team Leader
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
Some practice catch and release at some warm water discharge areas in the frosty temps.
some?
are we gonna make this a freezout trip? i talked to a couple of goons who wanna hit it as well??
Old 01-04-2010, 06:58 PM
LunkHead

Not till after March 1st, at least around here.

"An Evil Barbarian with a Wrench in His Pocket......"

Old 01-05-2010, 08:37 AM
I am motherf*ucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Oats
some?
are we gonna make this a freezout trip? i talked to a couple of goons who wanna hit it as well??
If the weather approaches double digits without 50 MPH winds. Its frikkin brutally cold here. Looks like another week of it.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:28 AM
I am motherf*ucker

Sent out June 21 2010

The NJ DEP Division of Fish and Wildlife reminds New Jersey saltwater recreational fishermen they may be required to register with the new National Saltwater Angler Registry before they go ocean or bay fishing in 2010. The Saltwater Angler Registry is part of an improved data program to help protect the long-term sustainability of recreational fishing.

New Jersey fishermen must register if they:

* Fish for or catch anadromous species in tidal and salt waters; these are fish like river herring, shad or striped bass that live in the oceans but spawn in fresh water, OR

* Fish in the Federal waters more than three miles from the ocean shore or from the mouths of rivers or bays, OR

* Don't meet any of the exceptions in the law.

Those exceptions include anglers who*

* ...are under the age of 16.

* ...have a currently valid saltwater license from another state whose license meets the criteria of the Angler Registry.

* ...already registered with NOAA in 2010 to fish saltwater in another state.

* ...only fish on vessels that are holders of for-hire (or charter boat and party boat) permits issued by NOAA Fisheries.

* ...hold a Highly Migratory Species Angling permit.

* ...are fishing commercially under a valid license.

Registration is quick and easy and is free in 2010. Anglers simply need to log on to http://www.CountMyFish.noaa.gov/ and click on the Angler Registry link, or call the toll-free registration line at 1-888-MRIP411 (1-888-674-7411). Anglers will receive a registration number that will allow them to begin fishing immediately. After approximately 30 days, they will receive a registration card in the mail. Registration is valid for one year from the date of registration and anglers who do not meet any of the exceptions in the law must register annually.

The registry is part of a national overhaul of the way NOAA collects and reports recreational fishing data. The goal of the initiative - known as the Marine Recreational Information Program, or MRIP - is to provide the most accurate information possible that can be used to determine the health of fish stocks. Reliable, universally trusted data will in turn aid anglers, fisheries managers and other stakeholders in their combined efforts to effectively and fairly set the rules that will ensure the long-term sustainability of recreational fishing.

For more information, visit http://www.CountMyFish.noaa.gov/ .
Old 12-06-2010, 12:00 PM
I am motherf*ucker

http://connect.nj.com/user/ajristor/index.html

NOAA announced on December 1 2010 that the fee for registering with the National Saltwater Angler Registry will be $15 as of January 1 2011. The change affects anglers, spear fishers and for-hire fishing vessels in Hawaii, New Jersey, Puerto Rico and U.S.V.I., although some anglers are exempt.

Fishermen in other coastal states are exempted from the federal requirement when they comply with state saltwater license or registration regulations. Twenty-two of the nation's 24 coastal states have saltwater angler registries or licenses and have been exempted from the federal requirement because they are providing registry information to the National Saltwater Angler Registry.

The National Saltwater Angler Registry helps NOAA to gauge the health of marine fisheries. Congress created the registry, a national directory of anglers, through the Magnuson-Stevens Reauthorization Act of 2006 to improve surveys of fishermen used to assess the health of fish stocks and the economic contributions of anglers. Through effective regulations based on data collected through the registry, NOAA helps to preserve recreational fishing for the anglers, fishing businesses, coastal communities and millions of Americans whose lives and livelihoods are connected to saltwater fishing.

The law authorized NOAA's Fisheries Service to charge a fee for the annual registration beginning in 2011. Unless fishermen meet one of the exemptions specified in the law, they are required to register if they are fishing in federal waters, or are targeting – or might catch – anadromous fish. These are species like salmon, striped bass, shad and river herring that live in saltwater but spawn in fresh water. In addition, non-exempt anglers who registered in 2010 and are still required to do so have one year from their initial registration date to renew.
Fishermen are also exempt from registering if they are under 16; only fish on federally permitted charter, party or guide boats; hold a Highly Migratory Species Angling permit; or are fishing commercially under a valid license. Fishermen who hold a valid fishing license from an exempted state are automatically entered into the registry, and do not need to take further action. Finally, people fishing in an exempted state who are not required to have a saltwater fishing license in that state – as is sometimes the case with seniors or active duty military – are not required to register.

Persons who meet the definition of "indigenous person" in the final rule for the registry program are required to register, but will not be required to pay the registration fee if they affirm during the registration process that they qualify and acknowledge that submission of a false statement is a violation of the Magnuson-Stevens Act. Information on who qualifies as an indigenous person will be posted on the registration website at http://www.CountMyFish.noaa.gov.

The National Saltwater Angler Registry is part of a major initiative to improve how NOAA's Fisheries Service gathers, analyzes and reports recreational fishing data. The goal of the Marine Recreational Information Program, or MRIP, is to ensure that the data scientists, managers, stock assessors and others need to effectively conserve our nation's ocean resources is available, accessible, held to the most exacting scientific standards, and broadly trusted by our partners and stakeholders in the fishing community and others. For more information or to register, visit http://www.CountMyFish.noaa.gov or call toll-free 1-888-MRIP-411

RISTORI'S NOTE: A bill to provide a free registry in N.J. has passed in the Assembly by a 54 to 16 vote, but the companion bill in the Senate (S1122) is stuck in the Senate Environment Committee chaired by Sen. Robert Smith (D-Piscataway). Unless that bill is posted for a vote, N.J. anglers will be paying the $15 federal fee described above. That federal fee will do nothing for the fisheries, as it goes to the Treasury rather than to NOAA. Anglers should urge their state senator to pressure Smith to allow a vote on the free registry bill.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Old Salt
Team Leader
Pro Staff

everyone should get in touch with thier local legislators and get them somehow involved in this. not sure how much can be done before the holiday.

www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/legsearch.asp
Old 01-03-2011, 06:59 AM
I am motherf*ucker

New Jersey anglers expecting a free saltwater registry by year's end will have to wait a little longer.

The bill, which passed in the Senate on Dec. 20, has to go back to the Assembly to have its language tweaked a bit in order to be in agreement with existing law. The earliest it could reach Gov. Chris Christie's desk for signing would be Jan. 6.

Developments leading to the passage of a free saltwater registry have come quickly over the last several weeks. While there has been renewed talk of a $2 state registry fee, there are only two options at this point.
It's either the free registry bill, or the $15 federal fee.

Fishermen who fish in federal waters or fish for anadromous species like striped bass, need to register with the NOAA's national registry.
www.countmyfish.noaa.gov

Before Jan. 1, 2011 The federal registry was still free and good for 365 days.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:18 AM
Official Member

(11/P21) TRENTON - Governor Christie signed a bill into law today that creates a free State saltwater fishing registry in New Jersey, one that will comply with federal requirements and will not financially impact the State's saltwater anglers.

The creation of a State registry will allow New Jersey anglers to avoid a $15 saltwater registration fee imposed by the federal government as of Jan. 1.

"Fishing from our shores has been and should remain free to our residents. Some simple pleasures in life should be not be subject to a new unfunded federal mandate,'' said Governor Christie.

Creation of a free State registry was lauded by the New Jersey Outdoor Alliance which worked closely with the Governor's Office and the DEP on this issue.
"We realize the DEP has profound responsibilities to protect public health, safety and the environment, all with increasingly limited room for budgetary maneuvers,'' said Anthony Mauro, chairman of the New Jersey Outdoor Alliance. "So we applaud DEP Commissioner Bob Martin for working to implement this bill in the most efficient means possible within his agency's current budget.''

Saltwater fishing is an important economic engine for New Jersey, providing 38,000 jobs and a $1.2 billion annual boost to the state's economy, noted Commissioner Martin.

"The DEP recognizes the importance of protecting and managing our marine resources for the benefit of the environment, hundreds of thousands of anglers who enjoy this resource, to our multi-billion dollar tourism industry, and the thousands of jobs related to saltwater fishing,'' said Commissioner Martin, who thanked the New Jersey Outdoor Alliance for its efforts.

"We will work to get this new registry on line as soon as possible,'' Commissioner Martin added.

Beginning on Jan. 1, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration required saltwater anglers in states like New Jersey without a state saltwater fishing registry or saltwater fishing license to pay $15 to register with that agency. The registry requirement is part of an effort to improve the quality of data used in fisheries management, according to NOAA.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:01 PM
I am motherf*ucker

Quote:
The creation of a State registry will allow New Jersey anglers to avoid a $15 saltwater registration fee imposed by the federal government as of Jan. 1
It hasnt been created yet as of this writing it will still cost you 15 bucks. Last years is still valid until 1 year since the date of registry.
I called the MRIP to make sure and thats what I was told.
Signed into law by fat man Christie yes.
Created? NO!

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/registryinfo.htm

My advice for now - buy the New York out of state license for $15 bucks and fish NJ, RI, NY, the Hudson, the Delaware, Long Island and CT sound.
Once you're licensed you're automatically registered with the feds. You can fish anywhere unless its a state with a license thats not reciprical.
Once NJ gets its act together you still will have to buy a license in NY if you fish there that is. I dont believe a state registry is reciprical with a license state but we shall see, wont we.