Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Shorebound - Surf Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Shorebound - Surf Beginners Information for the Shorebound angler

Old 07-01-2009, 10:27 PM
Official Member

Default Going surfcasting for the first time in my life.....

So I'm camping in Northern Massachusetts this weekend, at an oceaside campground where the Merrimack River dumps into the sea.

I decided to finally suck it up and try surfcasting (I'm a huge freshwater fan....figured ocean is bigger and more exciting). I wanted to go easy on the budget for my first experience so I picked up a Shakespeare rod/reel combo from (you guess it) Walmart. I also got (mind you never did this before):
  • 30LB test line to replace the 12 LB that came pre-spooled on the reel (I know…nothing like being a bit hopeful!)
  • 30LB test steal leaders – they come in three lengths 6”, 9”, and 12”.
  • Jig headed hooks – they look to be about 5/0 or 6/0 in size – I had originally pick up the 7/0 or 8/0 with no weight, then decided the weighted jig head option might be better, but what do I know.
I was thinking I would get some bait (clams) hook em on at whip it out there. My main question is should I let it sit on the bottom?

I read one of the posts...."once it starts to run" set the hook.....I assume that means to leave the bail open until the line starts to run (totally different than fresh water). Is that correct.

Also do I need the steal leaders? I figured they can't hurt.....

Either way I'm sure I will have a blast....catching something would be all the better.

I think I should bring along my pliers, a rag, and my other/spare terminal tackle....any other absolute necessities?

Thanks in advance for the tips. I'm excited to give it a go.

Mark
Old 07-02-2009, 12:06 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Going surfcasting for the first time in my life.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistling_fisherman View Post
So I'm camping in Northern Massachusetts this weekend, at an oceaside campground where the Merrimack River dumps into the sea.

I decided to finally suck it up and try surfcasting (I'm a huge freshwater fan....figured ocean is bigger and more exciting). I wanted to go easy on the budget for my first experience so I picked up a Shakespeare rod/reel combo from (you guess it) Walmart. I also got (mind you never did this before):
  • 30LB test line to replace the 12 LB that came pre-spooled on the reel (I know…nothing like being a bit hopeful!)
  • 30LB test steal leaders – they come in three lengths 6”, 9”, and 12”.
  • Jig headed hooks – they look to be about 5/0 or 6/0 in size – I had originally pick up the 7/0 or 8/0 with no weight, then decided the weighted jig head option might be better, but what do I know.
I was thinking I would get some bait (clams) hook em on at whip it out there. My main question is should I let it sit on the bottom?

I read one of the posts...."once it starts to run" set the hook.....I assume that means to leave the bail open until the line starts to run (totally different than fresh water). Is that correct.

Also do I need the steal leaders? I figured they can't hurt.....

Either way I'm sure I will have a blast....catching something would be all the better.

I think I should bring along my pliers, a rag, and my other/spare terminal tackle....any other absolute necessities?

Thanks in advance for the tips. I'm excited to give it a go.

Mark
Welcome aboard man, you shouldn't be needing any steel leaders unless some blues role around. Also you dont really wanna go with the jighead. Get some sinker slides and and some swivles (tie your own leaders) and your set to go. Heres some previous threads on some of your questions...

Clams- http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ad.php?t=17361

Setting the hook- http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ad.php?t=17352

Terminal tackle- http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ad.php?t=12940

Good luck
Old 07-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Official Member

Thanks for the info Dude. Wish me luck! I hope I land one.....
Old 07-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Old Salt
Team Leader
Pro Staff

so? didn't see this one but is there a happy ending or a frustrated individual?
Old 07-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghilie View Post
Welcome aboard man, you shouldn't be needing any steel leaders unless some blues role around. Also you dont really wanna go with the jighead. Get some sinker slides and and some swivles (tie your own leaders) and your set to go. Heres some previous threads on some of your questions...

Clams- http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ad.php?t=17361

Setting the hook- http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ad.php?t=17352

Terminal tackle- http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ad.php?t=12940

Good luck
Why did you tell him no jig heads? I just need to know. Sometimes that's all I will get fish on. What's wrong with a jig with a clam strip? It's a little late now I guess for this one.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Old Salt
Team Leader
Pro Staff

where'd he go after that?
Old 07-09-2009, 10:08 AM
I am motherf*ucker

Probably to work.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:20 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKBAYJ View Post
Why did you tell him no jig heads? I just need to know. Sometimes that's all I will get fish on. What's wrong with a jig with a clam strip? It's a little late now I guess for this one.

I said no jig heads, because as my expeirence with jig heads and clams, all i get is garbage on the bottom with a jig head. They may work well at the spot you are fishing, but overall where i fish i get a whole lotta crab and porgies...just a personal opinion...
Old 07-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

Zim loves eels, skates, dogfish. Leave poor zim alone! He and shit fish have thing going!
Old 07-09-2009, 06:49 PM
Veteran Elite

You'll get all of the same ground fish with a jig that you will get the sinker. With the jig you cover more water increasing your chance to catch fish. Your supposed to jig the jig not leave it sitting on the bottom. Reel it in while bouncing it off the bottom. You will not catch crabs that way. Also porgys are an awesome fish to liveline for stripers and they taste good.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:25 AM
Old Salt
Team Leader
Pro Staff

dpohlson
Rubber bone Ex-spert
Old 07-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

OOOooohhhh!!!! That calls for a skate'a thon Zim! You know, a skate catching competition?

Whistler, drifting bait is one technique. You may want to lighten up your bail, so a fish can run with your bait. Just make sure you're attending your bait setup. I tend to wander far away and cast lures, which is another tactic. Casting lures may occupy your fishing time, and force you to 'think like a fish'.

Keep on truckin, it may take a while to catch that first fish, but when you do, it'll blow the doors off any fresh water fish you've likely hooked!
Old 10-20-2009, 01:32 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKBAYJ View Post

Im assuming he wouldve said jig heads because the guy said that he was going to cast it out and let it sit. I dont klnow bout anyone reading this but letting a jig sit on the bottom with a clam on it is the best way to lose the jig?
Old 10-20-2009, 07:06 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lxpaul6 View Post
letting a jig sit on the bottom with a clam on it is the best way to lose the jig?
and catch a dogfish....just ask zim, he can confirm that.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lxpaul6 View Post
Im assuming he wouldve said jig heads because the guy said that he was going to cast it out and let it sit. I dont klnow bout anyone reading this but letting a jig sit on the bottom with a clam on it is the best way to lose the jig?
A jig means jig not sinker. A jig with a clamstrip would get jigged hence the name jig not sit on the bottom. Have you used a jig before? And did you read my other post??????

You'll get all of the same ground fish with a jig that you will get the sinker. With the jig you cover more water increasing your chance to catch fish. Your supposed to jig the jig not leave it sitting on the bottom. Reel it in while bouncing it off the bottom. You will not catch crabs that way. Also porgys are an awesome fish to liveline for stripers and they taste good.