Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Shorebound - Surf Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Shorebound - Surf Beginners Information for the Shorebound angler


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-01-2009, 10:27 PM
whistling_fisherman whistling_fisherman is offline
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2
Default Going surfcasting for the first time in my life.....

So I'm camping in Northern Massachusetts this weekend, at an oceaside campground where the Merrimack River dumps into the sea.

I decided to finally suck it up and try surfcasting (I'm a huge freshwater fan....figured ocean is bigger and more exciting). I wanted to go easy on the budget for my first experience so I picked up a Shakespeare rod/reel combo from (you guess it) Walmart. I also got (mind you never did this before):
  • 30LB test line to replace the 12 LB that came pre-spooled on the reel (I know…nothing like being a bit hopeful!)
  • 30LB test steal leaders – they come in three lengths 6”, 9”, and 12”.
  • Jig headed hooks – they look to be about 5/0 or 6/0 in size – I had originally pick up the 7/0 or 8/0 with no weight, then decided the weighted jig head option might be better, but what do I know.
I was thinking I would get some bait (clams) hook em on at whip it out there. My main question is should I let it sit on the bottom?

I read one of the posts...."once it starts to run" set the hook.....I assume that means to leave the bail open until the line starts to run (totally different than fresh water). Is that correct.

Also do I need the steal leaders? I figured they can't hurt.....

Either way I'm sure I will have a blast....catching something would be all the better.

I think I should bring along my pliers, a rag, and my other/spare terminal tackle....any other absolute necessities?

Thanks in advance for the tips. I'm excited to give it a go.

Mark
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-02-2009, 12:06 AM
Ghilie's Avatar
Ghilie Ghilie is offline
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 369
Default Re: Going surfcasting for the first time in my life.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistling_fisherman View Post
So I'm camping in Northern Massachusetts this weekend, at an oceaside campground where the Merrimack River dumps into the sea.

I decided to finally suck it up and try surfcasting (I'm a huge freshwater fan....figured ocean is bigger and more exciting). I wanted to go easy on the budget for my first experience so I picked up a Shakespeare rod/reel combo from (you guess it) Walmart. I also got (mind you never did this before):
  • 30LB test line to replace the 12 LB that came pre-spooled on the reel (I know…nothing like being a bit hopeful!)
  • 30LB test steal leaders – they come in three lengths 6”, 9”, and 12”.
  • Jig headed hooks – they look to be about 5/0 or 6/0 in size – I had originally pick up the 7/0 or 8/0 with no weight, then decided the weighted jig head option might be better, but what do I know.
I was thinking I would get some bait (clams) hook em on at whip it out there. My main question is should I let it sit on the bottom?

I read one of the posts...."once it starts to run" set the hook.....I assume that means to leave the bail open until the line starts to run (totally different than fresh water). Is that correct.

Also do I need the steal leaders? I figured they can't hurt.....

Either way I'm sure I will have a blast....catching something would be all the better.

I think I should bring along my pliers, a rag, and my other/spare terminal tackle....any other absolute necessities?

Thanks in advance for the tips. I'm excited to give it a go.

Mark
Welcome aboard man, you shouldn't be needing any steel leaders unless some blues role around. Also you dont really wanna go with the jighead. Get some sinker slides and and some swivles (tie your own leaders) and your set to go. Heres some previous threads on some of your questions...

Clams- http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ad.php?t=17361

Setting the hook- http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ad.php?t=17352

Terminal tackle- http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ad.php?t=12940

Good luck
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-02-2009, 03:42 PM
whistling_fisherman whistling_fisherman is offline
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2
Default Re: Going surfcasting for the first time in my life.....

Thanks for the info Dude. Wish me luck! I hope I land one.....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-08-2009, 09:31 PM
zimno1's Avatar
zimno1 zimno1 is offline
Old Salt
Team Leader
Pro Staff
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: staten island
Posts: 5,927
Default Re: Going surfcasting for the first time in my life.....

so? didn't see this one but is there a happy ending or a frustrated individual?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-08-2009, 10:16 PM
BACKBAYJ's Avatar
BACKBAYJ BACKBAYJ is offline
Veteran Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Westport Ma
Posts: 657
Default Re: Going surfcasting for the first time in my life.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghilie View Post
Welcome aboard man, you shouldn't be needing any steel leaders unless some blues role around. Also you dont really wanna go with the jighead. Get some sinker slides and and some swivles (tie your own leaders) and your set to go. Heres some previous threads on some of your questions...

Clams- http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ad.php?t=17361

Setting the hook- http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ad.php?t=17352

Terminal tackle- http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ad.php?t=12940

Good luck
Why did you tell him no jig heads? I just need to know. Sometimes that's all I will get fish on. What's wrong with a jig with a clam strip? It's a little late now I guess for this one.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-08-2009, 10:37 PM
zimno1's Avatar
zimno1 zimno1 is offline
Old Salt
Team Leader
Pro Staff
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: staten island
Posts: 5,927
Default Re: Going surfcasting for the first time in my life.....

where'd he go after that?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Striperjim's Avatar
Striperjim Striperjim is offline
I am motherf*ucker
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 4,453
Default Re: Going surfcasting for the first time in my life.....

Probably to work.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Ghilie's Avatar
Ghilie Ghilie is offline
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 369
Default Re: Going surfcasting for the first time in my life.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKBAYJ View Post
Why did you tell him no jig heads? I just need to know. Sometimes that's all I will get fish on. What's wrong with a jig with a clam strip? It's a little late now I guess for this one.

I said no jig heads, because as my expeirence with jig heads and clams, all i get is garbage on the bottom with a jig head. They may work well at the spot you are fishing, but overall where i fish i get a whole lotta crab and porgies...just a personal opinion...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-09-2009, 06:28 PM
dpohlson's Avatar
dpohlson dpohlson is offline
Rubber Shad Ex-spert
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Shore, MA
Posts: 309
Default Re: Going surfcasting for the first time in my life.....

Zim loves eels, skates, dogfish. Leave poor zim alone! He and shit fish have thing going!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-09-2009, 06:49 PM
BACKBAYJ's Avatar
BACKBAYJ BACKBAYJ is offline
Veteran Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Westport Ma
Posts: 657
Default Re: Going surfcasting for the first time in my life.....

You'll get all of the same ground fish with a jig that you will get the sinker. With the jig you cover more water increasing your chance to catch fish. Your supposed to jig the jig not leave it sitting on the bottom. Reel it in while bouncing it off the bottom. You will not catch crabs that way. Also porgys are an awesome fish to liveline for stripers and they taste good.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-11-2009, 06:25 AM
zimno1's Avatar
zimno1 zimno1 is offline
Old Salt
Team Leader
Pro Staff
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: staten island
Posts: 5,927
Default Re: Going surfcasting for the first time in my life.....

dpohlson
Rubber bone Ex-spert
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-25-2009, 04:51 PM
dpohlson's Avatar
dpohlson dpohlson is offline
Rubber Shad Ex-spert
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Shore, MA
Posts: 309
Default Re: Going surfcasting for the first time in my life.....

OOOooohhhh!!!! That calls for a skate'a thon Zim! You know, a skate catching competition?

Whistler, drifting bait is one technique. You may want to lighten up your bail, so a fish can run with your bait. Just make sure you're attending your bait setup. I tend to wander far away and cast lures, which is another tactic. Casting lures may occupy your fishing time, and force you to 'think like a fish'.

Keep on truckin, it may take a while to catch that first fish, but when you do, it'll blow the doors off any fresh water fish you've likely hooked!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Lxpaul6 Lxpaul6 is offline
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ct
Posts: 131
Default Re: Going surfcasting for the first time in my life.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKBAYJ View Post
Why did you tell him no jig heads? I just need to know. Sometimes that's all I will get fish on. What's wrong with a jig with a clam strip? It's a little late now I guess for this one.


Im assuming he wouldve said jig heads because the guy said that he was going to cast it out and let it sit. I dont klnow bout anyone reading this but letting a jig sit on the bottom with a clam on it is the best way to lose the jig?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-20-2009, 07:06 PM
jimi4290's Avatar
jimi4290 jimi4290 is offline
will work for stripers
Pro Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 2,531
Default Re: Going surfcasting for the first time in my life.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lxpaul6 View Post
letting a jig sit on the bottom with a clam on it is the best way to lose the jig?
and catch a dogfish....just ask zim, he can confirm that.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-21-2009, 12:30 PM
BACKBAYJ's Avatar
BACKBAYJ BACKBAYJ is offline
Veteran Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Westport Ma
Posts: 657
Default Re: Going surfcasting for the first time in my life.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lxpaul6 View Post
Im assuming he wouldve said jig heads because the guy said that he was going to cast it out and let it sit. I dont klnow bout anyone reading this but letting a jig sit on the bottom with a clam on it is the best way to lose the jig?
A jig means jig not sinker. A jig with a clamstrip would get jigged hence the name jig not sit on the bottom. Have you used a jig before? And did you read my other post??????

You'll get all of the same ground fish with a jig that you will get the sinker. With the jig you cover more water increasing your chance to catch fish. Your supposed to jig the jig not leave it sitting on the bottom. Reel it in while bouncing it off the bottom. You will not catch crabs that way. Also porgys are an awesome fish to liveline for stripers and they taste good.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
life, surfcasting, time

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Surfcasting Clubs Striperjim Saltwater Striper Clubs 1 06-17-2011 09:22 AM
Carl Newell RIP NYCBassMan Commemorative Threads 3 01-29-2009 07:38 PM
Lowrance Electronics Glossary of Terms Striperjim Marine Resources 0 07-18-2008 04:38 PM
Great Fishing And Memories!!! captainbutch Striper Guides & Charters 0 11-19-2006 02:23 PM
From Tred to Jose - like night and day TonyDB The Lounge 12 06-14-2006 03:10 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2004 - 2013 Stripers247.com LLC
Affiliated Sites:   Noreast.com   Allcoast.com    2coolfishing.com
© 2011 Noreast Media, LLC | Terms of Service | Contact Us | Advertise