Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

View Poll Results: Do you think fishing locations should be displayed without editing on public forums?
Never - only general area information or in private 104 38.95%
Always - You have to know how to fish anyway 52 19.48%
In certain circumstances when its in an online print magazines and already well known 65 24.34%
Never only upon death and then lie about it. 18 6.74%
Could care less if i dont fish the area 6 2.25%
Could care less period. 22 8.24%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2009, 04:56 PM

Default Public Forum Spot Giving Poll

What is your opinion on the issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2009, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Public Forum Spot Giving Poll

General information, 5 mile increments is cool.
Information that helps you track the movement of the various bodies of fish is extremely helpful.
Then you go where you think the fish will be and find yourself a spot.

Asking for exact spots is the sign of a bad or lazy fisherman who doesn't want to pays his dues, wants it all handed to em. I consider it poor etiquette and rude. I've no respect for those people

As for the Lookeemee guys who feel the need to post or run to the tackle shop and rave about how great they are telling the world about their 5lb fish including exactly where they caught it - do us all a favor and grow the hell up.

One of my regular spots was recently burned by a "Lookeemeeee" guy and now there are 20 guys camped there making it completely unfishable. Obviously I'm in a particularly rotten frame of mind when it comes to this topic
Old 06-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Official Member

Hunting them is all part of life, The more ya learn about your quarry the more fun it is when you earn a nice fish on your own. It is like finding a big peice of gold thats a little faster than you. It's all about the anticipation of catching the fish ya found on your own, If it's not go to the market. It is a good thing fish are on the move or there wouldn't be any. If someone hold s your hand and puts you on fish they are not your catch, he might as well reel them in for ya too......

Old 06-16-2009, 11:50 PM
Striper Hunter - Call_me_Ishmael

Well I voted on the circumstances just because if it's already public it will probably already be over run. I do agree on giving the general areas or in private though.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:49 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Interesting question and a tough call.
Around here, all the breachways get hit hard. I have no problem sending a googan or someone coming off as looking for a free spot-on to them spots.
My theory is, anyone in their right mind doesn't (can't) want to seriously fish in them conditions. Let's put all the yahoos in one spot and leave the rest of the areas open. Plus, they are already toasted areas from reports, bait shops, etc. Not like they're any secret.

Some I may send to a general area (ie; Watch Hill, Narrow River, Upper bay) but never mention 200 yds. to the right of..., or on the south side of the river from ? to a point just past ?

(Very) Occasionally, I'll PM some decent, more spot-on info. That's only if I get a really good "read" on the guy first. Someone coming on and saying, "Hey mutha! where can I catch me a bass and pork the old lady at the same time? And do they patrol for booze and drugs there?"
While that's still a good "read", not what gets my PM.
That's the sort I'd sent to the breachways and say, "Party - on Dude!"
See what I mean about putting them all in one spot?

Some think it's fine to mention "Caught @ Middle Bridge", other's think saying, "Caught in the Atlantic" is spot burning.

I've no problem trying to be somewhat helpful (without actually putting the fish on the hook for them), but I use my discreation the way I choose. If a site administrator chooses to censor, that's their call. After all it is their house, and they need rules (for whatever reason, and there's many).

Long and short?
Don't much give a crap one way or the other.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:17 PM

From a moderators point of view it has to be completely one way or the other. Either all spot burning is OK or none.

It's impossible for a person who is not familiar with the area to police the forum.
You live there, you hear "try xyz". To you that's a well burned spot that everyone and their grandmother knows about. To a moderator from outside the area it looks like something that needs to be edited.

Gotta tell you I had a very difficult time dealing with the Hudson River Forum this season - I never heard of any of their areas so had to go in with a somewhat shotgun approach that was wrong as often as it was right.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Lunker

Anybody is welcome to fish the Great Bay. When put into terms of thousands of acres of water, it is just like saying I fish the Hudson River.

Pictures of shoreline structure in your honey hole only leads to yourself as your own worse enemy.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Banned

I think specific spot information should continue to be edited in the way that it has. Sometimes some one new to the sport, excited about his great day of fishing may cough up too much information not realizing what the consequences are.

If specific locations were allowed to be public on this forum it would just help perpetuate the laziness of folks that don't want to put the time in to find and develop their own spots.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Suds,
I can definately appreciate the mod's point of view. Even if the spot is in his back yard.
That's why, "Don't much give a crap one way or the other."

Generally, for a site to work, one needs to make the majority happy.

I do think the Spot-burn is over sensative more often than not. But, that's why I'll do the PM. Just trying not to upset too many folks all at once.

Personally, if I choose to share, I will (PM). However, I may say at pole # *^, but may leave out some rather pertinant point(s) for them to figure out on their own. Generally, I assume 12:00 AM is much better than 12:00 PM with a mile high sky and blazing sun vs. 1/2 moon is understood. But you never know.

I will admit though,, there are issues that fry my buns more than spot-burns. Some of my more recent voicing of views reflect that. On those I'll comment on until I'm carried away in a brown bag.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Veteran Elite

If someone say's other than never it's because they are one of those who will chase reports and don't know where to fish. That's the BOTTOM LINE.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Striper Hunter

My son and I are new to the sport and are taking the time to read and learn. We are applying what we have learned to reading charts in search of what we believe to be appropriate sites that will host stripers. What is nice is to be able to validate through PM's with more experienced fishermen what we think are the right spots and times to go. We were out last weekend and managed one schoolie and a skate, which was a bit discouraging, but we use it as a learning experience and will try again in a different location. I think general locations are OK which will give enough information to people new to the sport the opportunity to be successful with a bit of effort.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Master Trophy Hunter

There's a lot more to fishing than "the spot". So many factors effect when and where to fish that you can tell someone exact coordinates where you were hammering fish and they'll catch nothing. A lot can be learned from interpretting the info you get and knowing who to listen to. Plus does anyone really tell everyone exactly where they caught a huge fish.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejunipero View Post
There's a lot more to fishing than "the spot". So many factors effect when and where to fish that you can tell someone exact coordinates where you were hammering fish and they'll catch nothing. A lot can be learned from interpretting the info you get and knowing who to listen to. Plus does anyone really tell everyone exactly where they caught a huge fish.
No and you have much to learn as there are spots that you can pretty much hammer fish every time so to that point yes you could easily give up a spot that coughs up fish consistently. The learning is not going to come from the interpretation of "fish stories" given by other guys. Learning is fishing your ass off and being one of the guys that doesn't need anyone's tips because of the experience you gained actually fishing....I know it seems unreal you can actually get better at striper fishing by doing it????!!! Yes I will share specific detailed information on where I have caught fish with a select few.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:03 PM
Lunker

I can tell you we burned a hot spot last week,without using this forum, everytime someone went by we had a fish on , well yesterday it was full of boats,and only 7 or eight fish caught,hopefully that put the fire out as it is a very good spot all season.BB
Old 06-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Master Trophy Hunter

Jon you have a point about telling a select few, I personally don't need to ask about fishing spots but for a newbie it is a decent way to learn. If you think hammering one spot is the way to fish more power to you but I will continue to fish the conditions and tides. I fish in the Hudson during the spawn mostly and have a lot of success. There are spots where you can catch smaller fish consistently but I will continue to pull fish like this out away from all the spot chasers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	47incher 004.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	11185   Click image for larger version

Name:	47incher10.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	11186   Click image for larger version

Name:	47incher-2009r.jpg
Views:	438