Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Rhode Island Fishing
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rhode Island Fishing Rhode Island striped bass fishing - Local discussion & reports

Old 05-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Striper Hunter

Location: Providence R.I. i have lived in new york state montana and washington plus a couple of months in so
Default swans and geese

If there are swans and geese swimming in the water does that mean there aren't any fish in that area ? I am new to shore fishing and was wondering if thats why I haven't had any luck.The places I go to have those birds lazily swimming ..
Old 05-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Official Member

Default Re: swans and geese

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokandygrl View Post
If there are swans and geese swimming in the water does that mean there aren't any fish in that area ? I am new to shore fishing and was wondering if thats why I haven't had any luck.The places I go to have those birds lazily swimming ..
I've caught plenty of fish with swans, geese, ducks, and whatever else around. I don't think they have much of an effect on stripers, but I could be way off base.

Just my two cents.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Striper Hunter

Location: Providence R.I. i have lived in new york state montana and washington plus a couple of months in so
Default Re: looking for places to fish

I didn't know if it mattered or not.I will keep trying to catch fish and not birds they hit the line then go around.It's kinda of neat to watch .I hope this is a good fishing weekend..
Old 05-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

I figure, (very) generally speaking, you're in the right place to possibly catch a fish.
In other words ----- don't mean too danged much one way or the other.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Striper Hunter

I thought so ,Is it better to fish in the morning or evening..I watch the tide reports and like to go at or near high tide ..
Old 05-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Striper Hunter

I am no expert on this but from reading through this site thoroughly I can say there is more to it than the tides alone. While fishing before and after the high tide is a good idea there are other things that can affect the fishing such as moon phase, weather, and water temperature as well as what kind of bait is in the area that stripers are feeding on.

Also, if you have the time, go to your spot during low tide. Look for the areas that striped bass will "hang out" in and then cast into those areas when the tide is in. Areas such as deep pools. Or a "rip" or "current" that comes in between two structures such as submerged or partially submerged rocks, etc

Watch how the currents and rips change as the tide changes.

As far as night fishing goes vs day fishing I have no experience in that area except again from what I have researched so if you're going to go night fishing then know your area. Go during the day and/or low tide to scout the areas. Water temperature and the weather pattern from the day will play a role.

I don't know if this info helps but sometimes there is no replacement for just getting out there and trying different things

Good luck
Old 05-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Striper Hunter

I appreciate any and all advice..
Old 05-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Nice! Thept pays attention ....
Old 05-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Cow Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitrunner View Post
Nice! Thept pays attention ....
Old 05-10-2009, 09:54 AM

Not only does he pay attention, he retains.
First Bass was a keeper, released.
Caught on a metal lip.
One of the most dangerous and difficult locations to fish.
He is officially a "Mountain goat".
Old 05-10-2009, 12:21 PM
Striper Hunter

I went out this morning and 'fed' the fish ..Lots of hits none hooked ..A fish jumped out of the water it was 8 to 10 inches , I didn't see what kind it was .. They were taking bait like experts..I just wish I knew what was doing it..I tried big hooks , small hooks , 3 oz , 2 oz and then 1/2 oz weights..I put a big chunk of fish on it was gone in seconds , when I put a small piece on they wouldn't touch it..
Old 05-11-2009, 08:53 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

Are you holding your rod, to feel the hits?
Old 05-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Striper Hunter

Yes I tried to set the hook but nothing , then i just let it or them take it hoping they would hook themselves but nothing..I was wondering if it was pogie enjoying breakfast they have been hard for me to hook in the past..I enjoy catching my own bait it's better then frozen stuff that breaks up in the water..I get to nervous just resting my pole so I always hold it ..
Old 05-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Striper Hunter

Default I caught my first one

I caught my first one yesterday it was awsome..I got so excited that I got a quick pic and released it before measuring it.. It couldn't have been no more than 16 inches..I have spent hours reading everything on this site it has been so helpful..I thought my line had a birds nested but later after cutting it fixing the loop on my reel after I got home ..it turned out to have been line from someone else , they just threw it in the water where I was lucky enough to catch it on my line and it stopped my fishing right then and there ..Thank you for all of the great advice on this site..
Old 05-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Striper Hunter

Congrats. It is exciting isn't it?

Now think back to what you were doing when you caught it and keep doing it