Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Best Lake for Stripers

Tags
lake stripers
6K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  samIam 
#1 ·
Hello, I am new to the site and I live in Charlotte, NC. I have recently gotten a new boat and plan to begin striper fishing. I am trying to figure out which lake will give me the best chance to consintenly catch good size stripers within a 2 hour drive of Charlotte. I believe choices are Lake Norman, Badin Lake, Lake Wylie, Lake Wateree, and Lake Murray. In your opinion which of these lakes is the best for striper fishing? Thanks

#2 ·
JP,first offf Wylie is out, it dont have any stripers,except for a handfull that goes thru the dam on mtn island,which is another option for ya.Badin probally has the best chance for you to get a bigger fish by what Ive read and heard.Norman is your closest but not many biger fish and youve got to be pretty good to get norman figgured out.Murray is full of stripers but a big die off a couple years back has put a hurtin on the bigger keeper size fish,(midlandsstriperclub.homestead.com) very helpfull club.Lake norman has a striper club also you may want to check out,tow of em,norman fishery allience and lake norman striper swipers.Lake hickory will give you a shot at fish in the teens and bigger on a regular basis.Lake wateree would be my favorite as thats where most of my striper fishin is done.You aretn gonna catch many if any over 10 lbs but for numbers and being able to keep 10 fish to eat(if you want) offsets that for many fisherman..No size limit,so if you gut hook that 18 inch fish you can take him home and you eat him instead of the turtles.Now if you just wanna catch em like wildefire,hit the roanoke river, I'd say around 3.5 ot 4 hrs from charlotte,but not sure,about the last two weeks of april and first mabey second week of may,Its a world class fishery up there,right on the NC VA line on I95.I got two tagged fish there this week.

.Theres allways a crowd,but its the only place I know off the catch the numbers of fish that is common for there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.