Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 03-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Official Member

Default What line and leader set up - Live herring

I do a lot of shore fishing and occasionally from the boat, all with live herring and the current set up that I use is 30lb mono to a 18" steel leader with a sinker slide above the leader and a circle hook. what I am thinking is that my herring could possibly be getting weighed down by the steel leader and not swimming as freely as it should would you guys reccomend using a fluro leader? what #? and do you think 30 # braid would be a wise choice to switch from the mono? thanks jon
Old 03-07-2009, 05:38 PM
I am motherf*ucker

Default Re: What line and leader set up - Live herring

First - Im not the guy to ask here. i dont fish that river enough. but that never stopped me from giving an opinion. so here goes. lol
I wouldnt use any steel leader in fresh clear water but the hudson is pretty stained. I still wouldnt use steel. I wouldnt especially need flouro either in stained water. Nor would I use a fishfinder with live bait.
Read some of the techniqes from the old threads. most troll the mid hudson area - upper they toss the herring out with an egg sinker without too much weight and let it swim around at the depth they mark fish.
30 pound braid is overkill. IMO. There is so much shit in the water near the shore line and jacked rocks. Sometimes the braid gets cut like a razor blade no matter what strength. You just have to find your shore spots.
You can also learn from the tackle shops that post the online reports. Watch the guys who catch fish consistently learn from watching them - their rigs - their presentations and put your time in.
If you are courteous someone may even give you a pointer or two.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:33 PM
First Mate

Wow. I basically do everything opposite of striperjim's suggestions! I personally use 50lb test PowerPro mainline tied to a quality swivel with a palomar knot to which I use a section of 25# test fluorocarbon with a size 5/0 or 6/0 circle hook to the end. This year I am going to try snelling the hook. I also use a fishfinder rig with a two or three ounce sinker depending on current and water depth. I have been using pyramid sinkers in the past, but this year I'm going to round flat ones instead. I've read several posts that they hang up alot less in the rocks. A word of caution when using the sliding sinker attachment and braid-believe it or not, the braid WILL cut into the slider from the force of the current. I bought some special ones this year that are braid-proof! I also know some people use three way swivels with an eye tied to the mainline, one to a dropper with the weight, and the last one tied to a leader with a hook. I don't like this method method myself decause I feel it tangles too easy on the cast.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Official Member

your basically doing the same as me, my biggest concern is breakoff without a wire leader, have you had any problems with the 25# fluro
Old 03-07-2009, 06:56 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellabella View Post
your basically doing the same as me, my biggest concern is breakoff without a wire leader, have you had any problems with the 25# fluro
No, no problems at all. I use Berkley Trilene Professional Strength. I also check it every time I reel in to change/check my bait. If it's frayed, it goes. I'm not about to lose a fish because I'm too lazy to take the five minutes it takes to retie. Actually, this year I have snelled about a dozen hooks already and have them ready to go at a moment's notice.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

30lb Gama mono for main line, with 30-40lb fluro leader. I never use steel leaders. I like braid for regular bass fishing and have thought about trying braid for Stripers, but just going to stick with what has always worked for me.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Official Member

what kinda hooks you guys using? think the circle hook is the way to go?
Old 03-07-2009, 07:13 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellabella View Post
what kinda hooks you guys using? think the circle hook is the way to go?
I personally would only recommend circles. The state is going to mandate them sooner or late anyways. What I like is by the time I get to the rod, the fish is already hooked up! BTW, if you have stewed long enough, I was only busting your balls before about the access to the shoreline being locked down. I fish down there myself alot actually!
Old 03-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

6/0 and 7/0 Circle hooks

They have been talking about banning j-hooks for over 5-6 years now ... guess they can't make up their minds
Old 03-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Not sure where you are all located, but in the capital district area Flying Arrow sports carries a pre-rigged set up called May-Daze tackle. Works great, already has swivel/slide clip/leader material/circle hook. Reasonably priced too.

They also carry the weights, don't think they got stock in yet for the up coming season but i am sure they will have them soon.

Just tie to main line and your ready to fish

Old 03-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Brian just wanted a reaseon to open the striper box early..
Old 03-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Quote:
Brian just wanted a reaseon to open the striper box early
Sorry to get off topic guys .... but today really got me fired up, it was nice out and went to outdoor expo !!!
Old 03-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner1 View Post
I personally would only recommend circles. The state is going to mandate them sooner or late anyways. What I like is by the time I get to the rod, the fish is already hooked up! BTW, if you have stewed long enough, I was only busting your balls before about the access to the shoreline being locked down. I fish down there myself alot actually!
that wasnt funny about the shoreline thing, I was all upset. it is all in good fun though, jon
Old 03-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Official Member

I am looking at the rig that you have in the pic and now I am thinking I am rigging all wrong. I put the slide above the leader. How long is that leader?
Old 03-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

You got right yella , the slide is just included in the pack (as is the bead) , goes on your main line than tie to the swivel ... approx 3' leader.