Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Shorebound - Surf Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Shorebound - Surf Beginners Information for the Shorebound angler

Old 01-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Official Member

Default Where and how do I catch stripers from shore in CT?!

I have surf fished in New Haven harbor for a couple years now and have never caught a Striper...and I want to catch one badly..but I don't know any good spots or the best places to go...My friend lives right next to Silver Sands State park and all of the summer of '08 we fished the sand bar and didnt catch a thing...we were using fresh bunker and nothing whatsoever every time we went..

Any help and sugggestions are greatly welcomed(bait, lures, where to fish etc), because this spring/summer my objective is to catch some good' ol New England Stripers!!!!

thanks in advance!
Old 01-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Where and how do I catch stripers from shore in CT?!

I do the majority of my fishing from the beaches of Clinton and do rather well there. Daytime I prefer to use worms or plugs, nightime I kill them with "fresh" bunker chunks (never frozen, typically snagged an hour or two before), eels, plugs, or any large dark fly that I can find. . Over the years I've done well at Hammonasett as well, same approach as Clinton. The most promising place that I've been though is in Guilford Harbor. Throw a worm out there with only a half ounce to ounce (depending on the line you use) you're not trying to hold the bottom as much as keep it off the surface.

In CT i've noticed that stripers are best at the extremes, 3AM - 6AM and 7PM - 11PM.

Good luck,
Joe

Last edited by JakeF; 01-18-2009 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Edited for content.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Old Salt
Team Leader
Pro Staff

please edit this post as it is deemed spotburning to most and although you wanna help out, it is a fate punishable by bogeyland!!!
Old 01-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Official Member

excuse me zimno1? what do you mean by your reply to my ask for advice/help?

i thought this was a site for fellow anglers to help each other out, especially for newcomers, like me, to ask the old salts for advice in starting their pursuit of the great gamefish known as the Striper...and isnt that what joethaca00 is doing?
Old 01-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Striper Hunter

Nobody is going to give you spots to fish but if you have any questions about what to use you will get all the help you want.You need to put in your time just like everyone else has.Ive heard it and im sure anyone else has to.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Old Salt
Team Leader
Pro Staff

yes it is. you ask and we deliver. but under no circumstance does anyone burn spots on open forums as this is deemed inappropriate by everyone. if someone is to do that for you than it is put in a personal message and not openly for all to see. i have not axed the post as i am considerate enough to allow everyone mistakes and to make light of it. if you stick around and learn to listen you will get a world of knowlege and info necessary to stop being one dimentional in your fishing approach. you made this post at 1pm and at this point in the evening 40 views have been logged and 3 responses. those 37 views have written down this info for where to be and he can be sure there will be company there when he goes to fish in the spring. in doesn't bother folks who do this till they have no place to fish in a spot they deem productive (and mind you at a specific time and tide for said spot) don't be alarmed or taken back by this as if not for the game being on, this woulda been deleted and not allowed to be viewed at all. stay and ask questions and become part of the forum and you will become one of the regulars who go out with us and fish and learn. you will be pleased to know you are not unique as we have straightened out many of minions here when first arriving. not a big deal, just a heads up. now, back to the game, later and welcome to the site.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Striper Hunter

Look at it this way...in addition to the very valid points already made would you rather someone just gave you (and who knows how many others at the same time) a spot, which will eventually not be worth going to anymore or learn how to find those kinds of places on your own and never run out of places to fish? The proverbial, pun intended, "give a man a fish and feed him for a day or teach him how to fish and feed him for a lifetime" sorta thing.

Screaming drags and tight lines.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Official Member

well i would like to apologize for blowing someones spot up but I am very frustrated by the fact that I have gone striper fishing numerous times and each time I have come up empty...so I was looking for advice on some productive spots around my area

I had no intention of trying to spotburn and would like to apologize if that is what I started

And I am not being one dimensional, I have striper fever and I want to learn all i can so when I fish around here I can finally catch this elusive fish and so that when I leave for college in Maine I can fish up there using the tactics I learned from listening in on this site

And I would also like to say I do agree in one way about egetting told where to fish...just this past summer I was directed to a spot and all was fine until a bunch of idiots showed up and began fishing on top of me, casting over my lines, and eventually attempting to steal my fishing spot when I went to re-bait my rod...lets just say it almost turned into a fistfight and I chose to walk away and live to fish another day

Yet again I aplogize and hope that there will be no hard feeling...I just wanna learn all I can about the great striper and how to catch them!
Old 01-19-2009, 10:32 AM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigajvigs View Post
Yet again I aplogize and hope that there will be no hard feeling...I just wanna learn all I can about the great striper and how to catch them!
That's what that site is here for. The primary error was not in the asking of the question, but in the fact that it was answered in such detail in the public forum. There's no problem with a guy wanting to share directions to a fishing spot with you. If he wants to share, let him share, but it should be done via Private Message, not in the public forum where those directions can be read by any of the thousands of visitors to the site who only come here hoping to read posts like that and go fish that spot the next chance they get.

I, for one, would hate to be the guy who fished that spot regularly for years only to go there in the spring and find it too crowded with jokers to be fishable because someone posted turn by turn directions to it in a public forum on the web. Trust me, it happens all too often.

That said, it's much more rewarding to learn what to look for, study the habits of bass, study the structure and currents in your area, and go find and learn your own spots
Old 01-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Young salt

Hey big, welcome aboard first and foremost. Spotburning, as it's called, is a topic addressed almost daily on this site, but it's no fault of your own. When I first joined I didn't consider the downfall of asking for specific spots. Much like you, all I wanted to do was catch stripers right away and at any expense.....referred to as "the fever" as you so named it. BELIEVE ME when I tell ya that others haven't been as lucky on here.

Anglers casting over your lines and completely lacking in respect, unfortunately, is all part of the game. You're going to run into that no matter where you fish, hopefully to a lesser degree depending on what times and tides you fish. Your best bet going forward is to spend A LOT of time both on this site and "out in the field," keep track of all the info you gather and eventually, you'll begin to see things differently. Venturing out a number of times and getting skunked is nothing new to anyone on this site, believe me it happens more than ya think. I speak from experience though when I say that getting frustrated, thinking maybe you're doing something wrong, using the wrong bait/lures or fishing at the wrong spot, won't do ya any good. I'm not familiar with the area so I can't point ya in the right direction, but logging onto this site often will provide you with more than enough information to put ya on fish. Some may disagree, but last year IMO, was slower than any in recent memory. When all was said and done I'd caught twice the number of fish than the year before, but I also spent a LOT more time in doing so.

The best advice I can give ya is to use the off-season to scout out spots, take plenty of drives and look for places you can access from shore (even better, spots ya see but think ya can't get to....many of which you'll learn ya can). Stick to the bait or the artificial equivalent that best represents what stripers will be feeding on at a particular time. When they begin their migration north from Chesapeke Bay they're chasing, and subsequently feeding, primarily on schools of herring, mackerel and other baitfish. Sandworms/bloodworms can also be effective early in the season and IMO, produce the greatest number of fish until you get closer to the fall run. As the season progresses, switch up your choice of baits, throw clams right from the surf or live line eels (*note* eeels seem to be most effective at night, especially in areas with structure; around rocks/pilings, moving water or under bridges).

Keep track of the tides you fish and at what times of the day. I've found that the early a.m. and late evening, 2 hours before high tide until the first 2-3 hours of the outgoing tide seem to be the most productive. Many of your more productive outings will come when the tides coincide directly with sunrise/sunset, but they'll also vary depending on a myriad of factors such as weather conditions, water tempature and feeding patterns. The main thing to remember though, above all else, is not to get frustrated as I said before, it will never help ya. This site will both humble and teach you, more than you ever thought possible. There's a LOT of information out there, most of which is right here at your fingertips and the more ya know, the better your chances. Hope some of this helped ya, I can't wait to read about your first fish this coming season.

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 01-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Striper Hunter

Well said by all.Lots of knowledge here.Also another good thing is to join some of the get togethers meet people and learn, something I am going to do this year for sure.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Banned

Persue knowledge of the fish you are after and the you will never need to ask for a spot again, you will develop your own set of spots baised on what youve read. I think that its easy to get striper fever...I sure as hell did. I came to this site to learn how to fish for them not where to fish for them! Many skunks later I have an idea...and that idea needs to be nurtured via more fishing time and challenging myself to fish for them in ways that I am not used to.

Remember anyone can sit on a site and reap the benefits of its information but all of the knowledgeable striper fishermen I have met have the knowledge they do from getting out there and making it happen.

Send me a PM in the spring and I will be happy to teach you everything that I know from my experiences and lessons from some of this sites fine members.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Young salt

Let this site be your guide, take what you learn here and apply it when you go out this spring/fall/summer. There's not a question you could ask on here that will be ignored (that's not ALWAYS a good thing, but most of the time it is) or garnished with a negative response (except spot burning of course!!) Wear out the search button and you'll soon learn that the answers to most "general questions" can be found without even having to ask in a forum. And those answers ya can't find, ask away and you'll get more than enough input from members on this site. Believe me, the things I see now when I go fishing compared to what I saw 2-3 years ago are night and day in difference, and the best part is, there's still a llifetime left to learn. Next thing ya know you're strolling down the beach and think to yourself "Oh I remember what that is" or "THIS is gonna be the spot I wanna fish in." Soon after you'll be passing along these same tips and tricks to a newbie, it's a never ending food chain of knowledge!!!!

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 01-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Official Member

I would like to thank all for their help and positive advice given, I will be doing much scouting and traveling around the CT shoreline to scout out new areas and will be watching and listening in on the many forums on this site to learn as much as I can to aide me in catching my first, and hopefully the first of many, stripers this spring!

It feels good to know that I can come to this site and feel free to ask for advice and not have to worry about being put down or ignored, and that there are also people willing to teach/show me the ropes!

Thanks again to all and see you out on the water!

-AJ
Old 01-26-2009, 09:50 AM
Banned

Your welcome! Like I said if you want ill be happy to go with you and show you a couple of tricks some of these guys showed me!