Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Canada
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Canada Eastern Canada - Discussion & reports

Old 05-26-2008, 08:50 PM
First Mate

Default Big Bass caught in NS

A 48 lbs. bass was caught in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia this week. This is a big striper for N.S. considering the provincial pecord is around 57lbs. caught back in 1979. The bass seem to be doing quite a bit better with reports of them being caught in a lot of unusual places in both P.E.I. and N.S. this year. What do you guys think - are stripers doing better or worse in the last ten years?
Old 05-27-2008, 03:16 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Big Bass caught in NS

Eh Dave,,another one caught yesterday in the sAME PLACE ,,58LBS,,a new record, they must be going right by the Bay Of Fundy,,lol..
Dobb
Old 05-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Striper Hunter

were having problems here in NH but not saco maine or merrimack river MA.

last week- of last year i already have a dozen or so good sized fish.

I have yet to catch one yet.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Wishin i was fishin

bass are a lot better in the past 10 years....actually its the best that i've personally ever seen.....although i'm only 22 years old, i have been fishing steady since i was 8 or 9. I'm consistently catching fish now that are in the 20-30 lb range. whereas i used to get really excited when i caught something that was 20 inches, let alone 20 lbs. Although some of it may be my experience has gotten a lot better, i do strongly believe it's because the bass are just more healthy and in greater numbers.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Official Member

Actually the Provincial record for NS is 57.9 pounds caught by a 16 year old guy last year. I caught a 57 pounder yesterday. In Weymouth NS. Just shy of the record. Was all over the news here and had the dept of fisheries interested too.

Last edited by Buck; 07-30-2009 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Added info.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:35 AM
I am motherf*ucker

Nice. Buck welcome any pics?

Christain Lavette
New Canadian Record Striper 58 pounder
This Record striper was caught in the Bras D'or lakes in Cape Breton Island
Broke the old record of 54 pounds
http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/ga...ndex.php?n=866

here is the story From October 2008

Old 07-30-2009, 09:42 AM
I am motherf*ucker

Buck - NICE!! Found your pictures on a Nova Scotia hunting forum

Story?

Old 07-30-2009, 09:50 AM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Quote:
bass are a lot better in the past 10 years....actually its the best that i've personally ever seen.....although i'm only 22 years old, i have been fishing steady since i was 8 or 9. I'm consistently catching fish now that are in the 20-30 lb range. whereas i used to get really excited when i caught something that was 20 inches, let alone 20 lbs. Although some of it may be my experience has gotten a lot better, i do strongly believe it's because the bass are just more healthy and in greater numbers.
The thing to pay attention to is not necessarily the numbers of 30 plus pound fish that are being caught it is more relevant the range(in size) of fish being caught.

For Example if every one is Catching 30-50 lb. Fish that means the stocks of Barely Legal Fish and school fish are low. Which poses a problem for maybe next year.

The Past ten years we have been seeing fluctuating recreational catch numbers and YOY indexes. For example last year the YOY index was a disappointing 3.2 The numbers since 1999 have been rising and falling almost year to year. 2006 was a record breaking year for recreational anglers as far as catch numbers go. 2008 was the lowest year since 1996 If you couple that with the lowest year of the young index we could be headed for a fall. So the Past ten years may have been better for certain people but the species on a whole not necessarily.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:59 AM
Official Member

Not a huge story, just a huge fish. Haven't been doin much striper fishing the last couple of years. So I looked at the tides and they looked perfect. Figgered I'd give it another go and the rest as they say is history. I was surf casting as usual. Had it on for about 20 minutes and had to tire it out. Once tired I got it by the gills and hung on for dear life and floated it to shore. Thinking back, I realized that I was using line that was probably 10 years old. Almost got spooled but it worked out fine. It is definitely the fish of MY lifetime. This rates up there with shark fishing that's for sure..

Buck
Old 07-31-2009, 12:08 PM
I am motherf*ucker

Wow Buck thats about 1 gaspareau (sp) short of the record. 9 ounces.

Congratulations. !! Looks like a diving swimmer on a (St Coix?) rod with a Penn 6500ss reel.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:43 AM
First Mate

Congrats Buck Dam nice fish. There is some monsters out there just right place right time. Did you invest in some new line?
Old 08-01-2009, 06:29 PM
First Mate

WOW! What a trophy!
Old 08-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Official Member

Fantastic fish Buck, have been looking for one like that all my life. Will not drive by Weymouth again but stop and give it a shot. Well done.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:19 PM
I am motherf*ucker

Nova News Story

By Tina Comeau

THE VANGUARD

NovaNewsNow.com

The first day of fishing for Port Maitland, Yarmouth County, N.S. resident Richard “Buck” Owen turned out to be the fishing trip of a lifetime last Wednesday.

While fishing the morning of July 29 up near Weymouth, Owen – on his first fishing trip of the season – snagged a 57-pound striped bass. He was fishing alone so he didn’t have anyone to share his excitement with. But when he came home with the proof people were impressed. “The store was just opening in Port Maitland where I live,” he said. “I pulled in and everyone was looking at it and saying, ‘Wow, that’s a big fish.’”

Owen took the fish to Seakist Lobster Ltd. in Overton to have it weighed on a certified scale, just in case it was a record catch. The fish, which measured 49 inches long (4.03 feet, or 1.24 metres), tipped the scale at 57 pounds – just shy of a provincial record from last year. In 2008, angler Christian LeVatte landed a 57.9-pound striped bass in Cape Breton.

Asked he how felt to have missed the record by 0.9 pounds, Owen said it was okay. “It’s still the fish of a lifetime,” he said.

Owen was standing on the shoreline when he cast his line. A few minutes earlier he had caught a 10-or-12 pounder but had lost it. Using a lure that looked like a mackerel he tried again. “I cast the line into the current and it hit and it didn’t splash or anything. It was swimming right at me and I was reeling real fast trying to catch up with it, “ he said. He thought he had lost his catch but then the line became tight. “I could see it because the water was crystal clear,” he said. He caught a flash of it and thought it was a 20 or 25-pound fish. “They have to be 26.8 inches long to keep it. I said, well, that’s a 20-or-25-pounder, that’s going to be a really nice fish.”

Owen fought the fish for around 15 minutes. As he watched it move back and forth he realized his guesstimate on its weight was off…by about 25 or 30 pounds.

The bass tired before Owen did. He got it on its side, grabbed it by the gills and hauled it up. By this point he was standing waist deep in water in his hip waders. “When I got onto the beach I was holding it up here,” he said, pointing up past his waist, “and the tail was dragging on the ground.”

Asked last Wednesday what he intended to do with his catch, he said, “Probably eat it.”

But with so much fish, he said he might invite a few friends over to share in the feast.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Hey Jim, That link doesn't work