Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > California - Lakes, Rivers, Bay and Delta > California Aqueduct
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 05-01-2008, 02:13 AM
Official Member

Default Aqueduct Fishing near Hesperia?

Hello All,

Nice site, just what I was looking for.

I recently moved to Hesperia Ca. and was looking to do some Striper fishing in the Aqueduct but I am unsure of were and how. I have gone a few times and it looks barren to me, almost to the point of, it looks like I am fishing in a giant street gutter.

The current is a little slow and there are some weeds floating by, but They hit nothing I though at them. I am fishing the stretch near Hesperia Airport. From the gate to about 1/2 mile through the bends and under the bridges. ZIP!

Anyone near me that could point out some places or I could possibly meet up with as a fishing buddy or to help me spot the places to go.

Also I will be heading to Silverwood Lake as its about 20 minutes down the back road from me.

Thanks
Bill
Old 05-01-2008, 05:39 AM
Administrator
Pro Staff

Default Re: Aqueduct Fishing near Hesperia?

Hey Bill,, just wanted to say hi and welcome to the site!
Old 05-01-2008, 02:28 PM
I am motherf*ucker

Hi Bill.
Welcome.

We have an aqueduct guy or two on board. I think Bill has a few pics of aqeduct stripers in this forum somewhere. maybe he'll be along with some pointers. i know the dodoman fishes silverwood.
It does look like a place that they drained the water and filmed the terminator movie. No structure at all - it would appear.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:10 PM
SWIMBAITER

welcome aboard.

most of the aquaduct area near hesperia to silverwood are private, from what i was told at the tackle shop.
mostly all smallmouth, catfish, and gills, with a few mini stripers.
BEST BET , just go to hesperia lake ( no stripers ) or cruise down to silverwood.
silverwood is doing great right now.
HOOKJAW TROUTS, L.M.B , AND MOSTLY 2 TO 5LB STRIPERS AT THIS TIME.
IM ONLY 7 MILES FROM THE LAKE, but wont be there long.........

MOVING TO DIAMOND VALLEY LAKE AREA.

once again welcome.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:13 PM
SWIMBAITER

my bad, if your looking for aquaduct hot spots, STRIPERBILL is the man.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Official Member

Hello Guys,

Thanks for the welcome aboard!

There is a section (closest to Silverwood lake) that is mostly on private land (ranch) but I am fishing the section before that one. I am fishing the end near the one next to the one to Silverwood at its exit gate that leads next to the Silverwood one.

(Reading that sounds confusing)

I have only tried lures so far with no luck. Heck I haven't seen anything but water and a few floating weeds, floating grass and some floating smelly brown muck.

Any other clues?

Thanks Again Guys
Bill
Old 05-03-2008, 05:29 AM
Official Member

hi all, i'm new to the board. i was looking at google maps and looking at the california aqueduct around hesperia and silverwood and i'm wondering if we're allowed to fish at the aqueduct (where the gates are)? i'm planning to make a trip out to silverwood and wanted to check out the aqueduct before heading out to the woods. i'm a striper man myself, so i'm always looking for new places to fish stripers in socal. any help would be grateful and thanks in advance.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:27 PM
SWIMBAITER

yes the farm areas, ARE PRIVATE.

if you take the 138 toward pearl blossom, YOU MIGHT GET LUCKY.
as most larger stripers are caught near palmdale towards bakersfield.
chovies has been the bait for use..........

and yes, you can fish the duct.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:17 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodoman View Post
yes the farm areas, ARE PRIVATE.

if you take the 138 toward pearl blossom, YOU MIGHT GET LUCKY.
Dodoman,

The section I fish is one long uninterrupted section, from 165th st. just on the east side of Pearblossum to Farmington st. in Hesperia The biggies should be there also if you say there in Pearblossum, or am I wrong?

Thanks
Bill
Old 05-04-2008, 05:41 PM
SWIMBAITER

im no pro , just a hoe.
many say, THERE ARE GRINDERS ALONG THE AQUADUCT.
only the smaller one pass through........
Old 06-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Striper Hunter

hey theres gates on main street by 395 across from in n out try there? Yeah i just bought my fishing license the other day and been fishing at the duct with no license. Luckily someone told me to buy one thxs :) Yeah i live in Phelan so theres an aqueduct around us so i go there and fish. Only one time i caught a 12 lb catfish and one crawfish. lol. Right now i am learning how to use a lure and how to set it up please give some adivce thxs much appreciated.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Official Member

Very nice... new to the website...

I was walking my trusty chocolate lab (Duke) along the aqueduct this morning and saw a few flashes of silver breaking the water as they were chasing bait fish. As the shad were getting away they were jumping out of the water. This caused the cormorants sitting on the powerlines above the water to go nuts. I then realized the cormorants were dropping 'the doodie' from the powerlines high above which must be attracting the bait fish to that spot. One thing is true... Where the little fish hang out the striper trophies are sure to follow. Fish rattletraps anywhere powerlines travel over the aqueduct...

The second question in my mind is what about structure... Ummm... I will keep this short but I have driven tow trucks in the high desert for some time. The last time they drained the aqueduct was about three to four years ago. We pulled around 30 cars, many motorcycles, tires, laptops, guns, lumber and other stuff out of the bottom of the aqueduct. Areas from below Silverwood Lake all the way through just west of Phelan. I can only imagine that the catfish and the stripers have sufficient structure when needed. Fish areas where dirt road access is easy. There is a good chance some knuckle head got rid of his car payment some time before you got there.

The flood control gates, pedestrian and road bridges are a natural spot where the current will be broken and eddys are created. Great spot to drop inflated night crawlers or anchovies. I have also seen several seagulls and cormorants eating bluegill near the gates. Bobber and millworms is always a safe bet.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Striper Hunter

THere are striped bass in that area .They don"t come easy, but they are there I have caught a couple NIce ones!
Old 01-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Official Member

can someone help me find where can I legally enter and fish the aqueduct in the Hesperia area ?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:34 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalcoop1 View Post
can someone help me find where can I legally enter and fish the aqueduct in the Hesperia area ?
Starting where Main St. crosses over the duct, you can enter on the south side. Also all the other streets that cross the duct you can fish at. Maple, Cottonwood, Ranchero and Farmington. Just park and walk in. Use google maps to view all the spots. There are also spots in Victorville and Phelan. Good luck and make sure to report your progress.