Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Striper Information & Services > Striped Bass Fishery Conservation / Politics / Management / News > Saltwater Licence Registry links /Regulations / Laws
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Licence Registry links /Regulations / Laws State game thief and Poacher hotlines / U.S. State Trailering Laws / Registration & Guidelines / Regulations / DNRs / Wildlife fish and game / and other govermental agencies / Park service Pass / Fees / News , fishing bills, conservation, regulations pertaining to the striped bass

Old 03-06-2008, 11:10 PM

Default The Saltwater License and why its coming.

The 18 of 23 Coastal States with the Recreational Saltwater License
More beginning Jan 2010

This post is not designed to stir up controversy just to put out some factual info on the clause in the reauthorization of the Magnuson Stevens Act of 2006.
In response of the shortcomings of the MRFSS (Marine Recreational Fishery Statistics Survey) , NOAA Fisheries commissioned a scientific review in 2004. The National Research Council reviewed the program and concluded that the survey needed to be completely redesigned. The methods used at the time were to basically count anglers at different jetties, beaches and access points, and by randomly telephoning households in coastal communities, not very scientific.
They concluded that the data management was flawed, no big surprize there. The primary recommendation was to improve data collection through a registry of saltwater anglers that would provide appropriate contact information from anglers fishing in all marine waters, both state and Federal. This is designed to make data collection and survey data much more accurate.
The recommendation was included in the reauthorization which tasks NOAA Fisheries with creating a national registry by January 2009.
The Department of Commerce can begin to charge a federal fishing fee to support the registry by January 2011.
However the act also gives the government the authority to grant exemptions to states that collect suitable information for the registry through a state fishing license program.
No state wants to see a federal program collecting the monies so. The states want the fee to go back into the state budgets.

The key issue for most of us who oppose a license is a dedicated funding to improve the fishery and not go into a general fund.
Ct and New Hampshire have proposed legislation for 2008 season and have made it clear that funds from saltwater licensing would go to support their respective fisheries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 11:42 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Default Re: The Saltwater License and why its coming.

If the money goes to better the fishery, and give an accurate count of anglers I'm for it.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:49 AM
Veteran

I agree with Khary. The Govt. putting it to its intended use? Thats an entirely different question.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:55 PM

The Big Brother act is actually set it in motion anyway.
The fed bureaucrats need source funding to pay for the surveys and data collection of which they will in all likelihood do an usual atrocious job. The obvious and best remedy is the exemption to the states for licensing - so stipulating the funds be dedicated to the state fisheries. That stipulation should have been written in to law.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Chasing the Dream...

I am sure that we can rely on our elected officials to put the generated license revenue directly towards improving our fisheries. Heck, look how well they have done with all the dedicated funding from Motor Vehicle licensing, registration fees, tolls, & insurance fees to repair our roads & bridges. Oh yeah, I almost forgot the wonderful job they have done w/ dedicated education funding from the lottery too in order to keep school taxes in check... Trust me, law or not, they will put it in a general fund & piss it away on some "wonderful social program". All it will be is a revenue generator for the states with little or no improvement for saltwater anglers.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

go back a couple of years and find my thread about this. in the hands of the wrong people for the right reasons (self serving) the feds will enact a license before the state does and have it;s way with monies.in state legislature it is against the law to take monies made from a license and use it toward anything other than what it was designed for. however, the federal gov;t can (and most likely will) use it for most anything in the confines of some sort of conservation aspect which would not surprise me has next to nothing to do with our interests. slow ya blow. ny state may just get hosed again. who knows.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:46 PM

I talked to a couple of the Dec guys at one of the shows and they feel the states going to do it before the federal mandate.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

if it works to keep the riff raff off the beaches and piers then i am all for it. but it shouldn;t be applicable to all individuals who go on a partyboat or charter. the vessel/captains licence should be ample, no need to stick it to the working guy as that would really put a hurtin on that business
Old 03-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Surf's Up

wow. took me 15mins to read. i guess salt water is worth something now. damn sad..... means more lands of forests of around.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:18 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

Statistics aren't accurate if the methods used to collect this data, aren't true. with that in mind, the registration is fine. Statistics have to be accurate.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:55 AM
swabbie

I'm fine with a saltwater license as long as the money is used to support our fisheries and it's not too expensive. They should also let kids fish free and give discounts to in state residents.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:17 AM
Low Tide Fisherman

I wonder how long before we do the same here in NB Canada?
Old 06-13-2008, 06:12 AM
Official Member

I really hope they take in account that alot of children enjoy fishing. I work with kids with behavioral disorders and have started a fishing club that they are all excited to start. I don't mind paying for a liscense but there are fewer and fewer free things left for minors to get outdoors and do. I hope they put in some kind of clause that minors fish for free, as it will only lead to more people paying for a liscense when they come of age.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:29 PM
retired pirate

Well here it is:

Link

NOAA proposes saltwater fishing license
By The Associated Press wire report
June 11, 2008 03:41 PM

WASHINGTON - The government wants to know who's fishing for fun in federal ocean waters.

Recreational anglers and spearfishers would be required to be registered, starting next year, under a rule proposed Wednesday by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
NOAA's Fisheries Service said it wants to get more accurate data on recreational fish catches. Commercial fishers already need licenses or permits and thus would not have to register again, the agency said.
The registry is required under a change in the law and would cover recreational fishing in federal waters as well as fishing anywhere for what are called anadromous species, such as striped bass, salmon and shad, that spawn in rivers and streams and spend their adult lives in estuaries and the ocean.
Registrations will include an angler's name, address, telephone number and the regions where fishing is conducted. NOAA said this information will not be made public, it will be used only to conduct surveys.
States that issue their own saltwater fishing licenses could apply for an exemption if their records provide sufficient information for the federal database. Those include the states on the West Coast, including Alaska, the Gulf Coast and the South Atlantic.
Hawaii and the states from New Jersey to Maine do not offer such licenses, NOAA said. The agency hopes the federal program will encourage those states to start their own licensing programs.
Maine lawmakers last year considered a saltwater license but decided that the issue required more study.
The federal registry covers fishing in federal waters, which are generally three miles off the coast. Exceptions are Texas and the west coast of Florida, where federal waters begin nine miles off the coast.
NOAA said registration would be free the first two years and an annual fee ranging from $15 to $25 would be imposed starting in 2011.
Those under age 16 would be exempt and fees would be waived for indigenous people, such as members of federally recognized tribes.
Anglers who fish only on licensed party, charter, or guide boats would also be exempt, since these vessels are surveyed separately from the angler surveys.
The agency said it needs to get better data on recreational anglers to be sure it protects fish stocks but doesn't impose unnecessary limits.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynter
I hope they put in some kind of clause that minors fish for free
NOAA said registration would be free the first two years and an annual fee ranging from $15 to $25 would be imposed starting in 2011.Those under age 16 would be exempt and fees would be waived for indigenous people, such as members of federally recognized tribes.Anglers who fish only on licensed party, charter, or guide boats would also be exempt, since these vessels are surveyed separately from the angler surveys.