Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-21-2017, 08:31 AM
Official Member

Default Drifting In Front Of The Poestenkill

In case the gentleman in the center console that was in front of the poestenkill yesterday afternoon is on this site. Excuse me for the frustration man, but drifting though the number one bait spot as well as one of the most popular shore spots in the area is not the best idea. Hence you being hooked into someone else's line when you drifted into us setting our anchor. We made sure to set anchor down from the shore guys(which meant NOT being where we wanted to be), we also started to set our anchor with your boat being pretty far away and couldn't tell you were drifting. But its been my understand and please someone correct me if Im wrong but boats that are drifting adjust their drift around guys that are anchored they don't tell them they cant anchor somewhere because that's where they had been drifting. No hard feelings at all Im honestly trying to help you out because if you go drifting through there once things get going between guys there getting bait and guys fishing of shore your going to be in for a rude awakening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2017, 09:20 AM
Veteran Elite

Default Re: Drifting In Front Of The Poestenkill

You are correct for the north where most people anchor but if you were to set anchor down in Newburgh bay where everyone drifts you would be shot and sunk. My take........anchored boats have the right of way up in Albany and Drifting boats have the right of way down South. Although....I've seen way too many idiots anchor in the channel which is an absolute No-No.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:11 PM
Striper Hunter

Rule No. 1. Golden Rule
Rule No. 2. See No. 1.

It wasn't me up in Troy but I have violated the rule a number of times while fishing. Stupid me. Trying to do better.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:06 AM
Official Member

I cant stand boaters drifting right off shore well within casting distance. Lucky I'm nice and don't want a criminal record for sending a 4oz sinker thru your windshield
Old 04-22-2017, 10:08 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangers1022 View Post
I cant stand boaters drifting right off shore well within casting distance. Lucky I'm nice and don't want a criminal record for sending a 4oz sinker thru your windshield
Boaters have WAY more options than shore guys. There's no need for them to pull up adjacent to where you are fishing (from shore) and start fishing inside of your casting range. I was once fishing a backbay sand beach with no one for at least a half mile in either direction when a boat speeds to within 50' of me and asks if I caught anything. I politely replied...and lied..."No..." In general, most boat guys are pretty polite... I've been known to be one myself!

Frank Z.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:18 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Z View Post
You are correct for the north where most people anchor but if you were to set anchor down in Newburgh bay where everyone drifts you would be shot and sunk. My take........anchored boats have the right of way up in Albany and Drifting boats have the right of way down South. Although....I've seen way too many idiots anchor in the channel which is an absolute No-No.
Doc, I know I'm playing "devil's advocate" here, but if you're the first guy out there, and anchor, I think you're legal (as long as you're not anchored in the channel). Anyone coming into your zip code has to drift to either side of you. It's even possible that an anchored boat ISN'T even there to fish...just to hang out. But, yeah, nobody should ever pull into a bunch of drifters and anchor. That would be like stopping your car in the middle of the Thruway.

Frank ("Z" also! )
Old 04-22-2017, 08:48 PM
Veteran Elite

In Newburgh there are certain drift lines that up to 50+ boats will follow and every year some asshole pulls into the drift line and anchors. The irony is they would catch more fish if they just followed the drift line. I agree up north where everyone anchors a drifter should move.