Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Going surfcasting for the first time in my life.....

8K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Lxpaul6 
#1 ·
So I'm camping in Northern Massachusetts this weekend, at an oceaside campground where the Merrimack River dumps into the sea.

I decided to finally suck it up and try surfcasting (I'm a huge freshwater fan....figured ocean is bigger and more exciting). I wanted to go easy on the budget for my first experience so I picked up a Shakespeare rod/reel combo from (you guess it) Walmart. I also got (mind you never did this before):

• 30LB test line to replace the 12 LB that came pre-spooled on the reel (I know…nothing like being a bit hopeful!)
  • 30LB test steal leaders - they come in three lengths 6", 9", and 12".
  • Jig headed hooks - they look to be about 5/0 or 6/0 in size - I had originally pick up the 7/0 or 8/0 with no weight, then decided the weighted jig head option might be better, but what do I know.
I was thinking I would get some bait (clams) hook em on at whip it out there. My main question is should I let it sit on the bottom?

I read one of the posts...."once it starts to run" set the hook.....I assume that means to leave the bail open until the line starts to run (totally different than fresh water). Is that correct.

Also do I need the steal leaders? I figured they can't hurt.....

Either way I'm sure I will have a blast....catching something would be all the better.

I think I should bring along my pliers, a rag, and my other/spare terminal tackle....any other absolute necessities?

Thanks in advance for the tips. I'm excited to give it a go.

Mark

See less See more
#2 ·
So I'm camping in Northern Massachusetts this weekend, at an oceaside campground where the Merrimack River dumps into the sea.

I decided to finally suck it up and try surfcasting (I'm a huge freshwater fan....figured ocean is bigger and more exciting). I wanted to go easy on the budget for my first experience so I picked up a Shakespeare rod/reel combo from (you guess it) Walmart. I also got (mind you never did this before):

• 30LB test line to replace the 12 LB that came pre-spooled on the reel (I know…nothing like being a bit hopeful!)
  • 30LB test steal leaders - they come in three lengths 6", 9", and 12".
  • Jig headed hooks - they look to be about 5/0 or 6/0 in size - I had originally pick up the 7/0 or 8/0 with no weight, then decided the weighted jig head option might be better, but what do I know.
I was thinking I would get some bait (clams) hook em on at whip it out there. My main question is should I let it sit on the bottom?

I read one of the posts...."once it starts to run" set the hook.....I assume that means to leave the bail open until the line starts to run (totally different than fresh water). Is that correct.

Also do I need the steal leaders? I figured they can't hurt.....

Either way I'm sure I will have a blast....catching something would be all the better.

I think I should bring along my pliers, a rag, and my other/spare terminal tackle....any other absolute necessities?

Thanks in advance for the tips. I'm excited to give it a go.

Mark
Welcome aboard man, you shouldn't be needing any steel leaders unless some blues role around. Also you dont really wanna go with the jighead. Get some sinker slides and and some swivles (tie your own leaders) and your set to go. Heres some previous threads on some of your questions...

Clams- http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=17361

Setting the hook- http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=17352

Terminal tackle- http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=12940

Good luck

#10 ·
You'll get all of the same ground fish with a jig that you will get the sinker. With the jig you cover more water increasing your chance to catch fish. Your supposed to jig the jig not leave it sitting on the bottom. Reel it in while bouncing it off the bottom. You will not catch crabs that way. Also porgys are an awesome fish to liveline for stripers and they taste good.

#12 ·
OOOooohhhh!!!! That calls for a skate'a thon Zim! You know, a skate catching competition?

Whistler, drifting bait is one technique. You may want to lighten up your bail, so a fish can run with your bait. Just make sure you're attending your bait setup. I tend to wander far away and cast lures, which is another tactic. Casting lures may occupy your fishing time, and force you to 'think like a fish'.

Keep on truckin, it may take a while to catch that first fish, but when you do, it'll blow the doors off any fresh water fish you've likely hooked!

#16 ·
And now that I think about it. A jig would be less likely to get snagged in a rock or structure than a hook and fish finder rig. So you would be more likely to lose a clam and hook with a sinker if your properly rigged than a clam on a jig that's dead sticked on the bottom (which you wouldn't do anyway) :smiliedoh:

#17 ·
The only person that I know personally that fishes for stripers uses 20# berkeley big game with a 60# leader. Main line attaches to a 3-way, weight(2-6oz) to the bottom arm, and the leader to the front with a 4/0-6/0 hook on the end. My question is, should a slide weight be used or maybe a cicle hook? Just looking for some pespective. Also, how would you tie a tandem hook rig, but most importantly which hooks would you use? I've seen many versions of the same hook(bent and straight shank j-hook, circle) which would be better for a snelled tandem rig or singley?
I am in need of so much help. I know it's a time away but,
someone has to be off the third week of may to show me what to do.:shocked:

#18 ·
BACKBAYJ said:
A jig means jig not sinker. A jig with a clamstrip would get jigged hence the name jig not sit on the bottom. Have you used a jig before? And did you read my other post??????
I just reread this post and realized what you said. Yes i have used jigs successfully before and i do know how to work them. Ghillie was pointing out that maybe whistling man shouldnt use jig heads because all he wanted to do was cast it out and let it sit. He made no mention of actually working the jig. But ya. this argument is futile because all of us have our own opinions...lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.