Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

White Perch the scourge of the Hudson

9K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  kb 
#1 ·
I'm new here and new to striper fishing on the Hudson. I'm stuck to the shore and would like to hear if anyone has any recommendation on dealing with White Perch. They just seem to love blood worms and are pro at eating them off the hook. Anyone have a better way to hook the worms or something so the perch can't get them or should I switch to herring if the perch are really bad that day? Is there anything you can do to stop them from eating all your blood worms or do you just have to deal with it as part of striper fishing? Thanks for the advice.

#2 ·
First of all, what part of the river are you fishing? some guys swear by bloods (depends on location) and others use herring only (also depends on location). I spent my first 3 years fishing unsuccessfully with bloods, and my first trip out with live herring, I landed my first fish at 38", and 2nd trip a fish at 35", not to mention blood worms are freakin exspensive.

#5 ·
Wow that really sucks you have perch over there already. I fish the area too from shore but on the east side and mostly near the the Newburgh bridge. I've been out 3x's already, maybe I'm lucky (or you're unlucky lol) but I haven't got one perch yet -knock on wood-! But when its get warmer that will all change for sure. But anyway, when the perch are non-stop I have a techniqe that works good for me. As soon as I get the little nibbles I wait around 5-10 secs to wait and see if its a decent fish bite'n. If I don't get a good hit (95% of the time it's just a perch) in that time period I'll try to hook the bastard. If I don't hook anything, I reel my bait in about 10' and try that spot. But hold on to your pole cause he might chase it down or another 1 might be right there. I'll do that routine 2 times, if it happens again I'll just recast and hope for the best. As far as hooking the worm, I don't think it really matters too much just don't leave too much of a tail hanging off the hook cause it'll be gone right away (when the perch are non-stop). If there is a perch there they are only gonna hook themselves or take the worm regardless of how you hook the worm IMO. You can try your luck w/ herring but to tell you the truth I've been goin for stripers for 4 years straight and always have 1 pole out w/ chunk herring, 1 w/ bloods and I have never landed a striper on herring. I've literally only had a FEW hits on chunk, and who knows it may have been a big catfish. I have caught stripers on chunk bunker in saltwater but for some reason I've never had any luck w/ chunk on the river.

#8 ·
Freddy...its good to hear you have caught w/ perch b4. I do the same when I run out of herring cause having 2 poles w/ bloods gets to be more work than fun when perch r biting. I rig them live or cut them in 1/2 when they die. A lot of ppl told me stripers won't eat them which h I found a little hard to believe since they r r big preditor fish. I've never caught w/ perch as bait but at least I know its not a complete waste of time. Live2phish Congrats on on ur first fish! Hope u have better luck this year regardless of which bait u choose.

#9 ·
Freddy...its good to hear you have caught w/ perch b4. I do the same when I run out of herring cause having 2 poles w/ bloods gets to be more work than fun when perch r biting. I rig them live or cut them in 1/2 when they die. A lot of ppl told me stripers won't eat them which h I found a little hard to believe since they r r big preditor fish. I've never caught w/ perch as bait but at least I know its not a complete waste of time. Live2phish Congrats on on ur first fish! Hope u have better luck this year regardless of which bait u choose.
stripers eat anything...2 years ago i had a small schoolie bite my hook, then i get slammed reeling it in....a bigger striper swallowed the schoolie and i caught them both. Released the bigger fish, but the small one died, lol

#10 ·
Chunk does not work that good but live herring sure does. Try different areas if the perch are after the bloods. Usually now they tend to be in the more shallow warmer water. But the deeper water around 10 ft holds more cats. Were switching to the boat soon because gas is almost cheaper then bloods getting robbed by perch and catfish.

#13 ·
Bag your Bloods-get either salmon roe netting from Gander Mtn. in their salmon secton or buy cheap netting at Walmart (fabric section) and cut into 4" or 5" squares. Put a blood in the center of square, gather up around Blood, wrap top closed with elastic string- available at Walmart or the salmon section of Gander. Cut off excess netting, you now have a ball. Put hook through ball, cast out, etc. I reccomend two layers of net to insure no bite through by bait stealers of all species.
It works because Stripers seem to use scent as the main way of locating Bloods as bait and don't really care about "natural" presentation.
Simple to do once you get the hang of it.
Will dramatically cut down on the number of Bloods you use.
Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.