Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > View From The Beach
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

View From The Beach Renowned surf angler, Rich Troxler, shares his thoughts, tactics, tips and tricks for surf casting success!

Old 02-15-2016, 02:59 PM
First Mate

Default Fishing Bucktails in Deep, Fast Water

For those who haven't had their fill of instructional fishing videos yet, I just completed one on fishing bucktails in the rough stuff. Hope you find it useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvWeiMnWtq8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2016, 05:48 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Fishing Bucktails in Deep, Fast Water

Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:44 PM
Official Member

Rich, thanks again for an another great and informative video! For larger bucktails do you prefer spear head or another style?
Thanks again,
Ben

Old 02-28-2016, 12:29 PM
First Mate

Hi Ben. Depends on where I'm fishing. I mold heavy bullet heads for semi-vertical fishing from piers and bridges. I like the eye placement better for vertical fishing on them. And if the bottom is not snaggy, I use them for casting from banks also. I'll match them with long rubber bodies to look like lizard fish, or even eels. But if the bottom is snaggy, I try to stick with a rounder nose profile so that I hopefully can bounce off or pop them out of snags. Thanks for the question.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:53 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by richtrox View Post
For those who haven't had their fill of instructional fishing videos yet, I just completed one on fishing bucktails in the rough stuff. Hope you find it useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvWeiMnWtq8
wow,great video. I"ve been fishing jigs and bucktails for 30 plus years,one of my go to lures for many fish. You just described what I do on the fly in minutes to the fist half hour of fishing new areas with bucktails.
the Whole science of fishing them!! I wrote a couple of beginner articles for the Hudson river and very briefly described what you broke down to the finest elements. The only thing you forgot to say is that youre gonna loose jigs, this is one reason I make and tie my own,check my profile for pics.
I also fish bucktails at night in current on the river, and it is good to know the river Before doing so. Great video!!!!
Old 04-02-2016, 06:04 PM
First Mate

Thanks Fy. Yes, there is no way around losing leadheads so the object should be to lose as few as possible lol. I also mold my own leadheads and actually made a video for Surfcasters Journal a couple years back on the process and some of the modifications I employ. For many years I fished almost exclusively at night and you really do develop a much better feel for fishing bucks if you do so at night.

Have a good spring!
Old 10-12-2016, 03:40 PM
Official Member

Great educational video. It was very informative and covered all the bases. I realize how little I knew about throwing bucktails .. Thanks for sharing, Sy
Old 11-25-2016, 01:49 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytheteacher View Post
Great educational video. It was very informative and covered all the bases. I realize how little I knew about throwing bucktails .. Thanks for sharing, Sy
Agree excellent video a must watch.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:50 PM
Official Member

Rich,
Your videos have taught me so much! Your videos are what I used to start learning how to read the beach and what to look for!

More recently I started using your advice on bing maps to locate current, and promising areas to fish, structures like the bridges, and of course parking!

I really appreciate your hard work and your willingness to share your knowledge with others!

Thanks again!
Eric
Old 02-09-2017, 08:03 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by justeric View Post
Rich,
Your videos have taught me so much! Your videos are what I used to start learning how to read the beach and what to look for!

More recently I started using your advice on bing maps to locate current, and promising areas to fish, structures like the bridges, and of course parking!

I really appreciate your hard work and your willingness to share your knowledge with others!

Thanks again!
Eric
A great way to learn more about fishing the Hudson River, (any river) or tidal water is to visit the area at the most Extreeme Low tide, all types of structure come to view.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:04 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FyshhTrap View Post
A great way to learn more about fishing the Hudson River, (any river) or tidal water is to visit the area at the most Extreeme Low tide, all types of structure come to view.
Well I Live in Maine and often fish the Kennebec river and during spring through late fall i fish the coast. Recently looking for new coastal areas to fish. Rich has been a great help learning how to spot these new places.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2017, 04:52 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. I figure it's about time for me to pay a little something forward to a pursuit that has given me mucho happiness.