Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Ols Saybrook Blue Blitz!

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Joe Wiz 
#1 ·
Whole cow I hate blue fish.... BUT they sure can give you a great workout!!
Took off with the 'future' son-in-law this morning from Ragged Rock with no gas and high hopes. As I dropped a quick $130 bux at the pump the kid says, " Right or left outside the break water." 5 minutes later it was obvious! Didn't matter! Go anywhere!! (when left) the birds where so thick it almost got dark, fish crashing every where. We worked deadly dicks, we ran the fly rods, we just couldn't cast fast enough, fish on, fish on, fish on... until I thought my arms were going to fall out. More than once I don't think my lure even hit the water when something airborne slammed it. What a bloody freaking mess my boat was. Bunker chunks, blood, stink, puke from the anchor to the transom. God I hate blue fish... but.... my back is killing me, my legs are killing me, my arms are killing me but my damn face has a shit eating grin from ear to ear...

Tooled up the coast a bit for some togs on the reef but after that morning we were a little bored with the tog fishing. I fed them about a dozen crabs and we decided to head back in for an early day. Good thing. I'm just about shot now anyway... Did I tell you I hate blue fish?!

#3 ·
Haha. Sounds like you had your hands full. Yea, I don't much like bluefishes either but I learned even the smallest of bluefish will put up so much fight! Those critters are fun to catch but I lost so much gears 'cause of them fishes just chewing threw my lines and lures. I'm hoping to see blitzing fishes again before weather gets too cold. Happy fishin'!icn___clap.gif

#4 ·
Ya know I would much rather catch a one nice bass than 5 blues... But still_ crappy as they are at the table_ the damn things are a great game fish. We actually kept a couple because my 'future' son-in-law doesn't put many fish in the freezer. He wanted to try eating a couple. ( I really gotta teach that boy to deer hunt for his freezer issues) Anyway we eat 'em. Not too many mind you but I keep a couple every year. They aren't too bad if you grill 'em and smother them in something. Sorta like eating cockroaches instead of grasshoppers...

#5 ·
I have to admit that I love catching Blues. I release them all, but they give a great fight. My view on catching them would probably change if I had more luck with the stripers:wink1:
The biggest I caught this year was about 6-7 Lbs. But I remember years ago when it seemed that none were under 10 Lbs.
My neighbor has a smoker and claims that they taste great cooked in that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.