Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 02-16-2017, 02:58 PM
Official Member

Default Shore fishing near Albany?

Howdy everyone. New member here, this will be my first season going for Stripers on the hudson. Took a charter out of Kennebunkport Maine over the summer and got my first striper. Been hooked since. Looking forward to gearing up soon and getting out there in the spring.

Anyway, as someone who's made poor life choices and will never have access to a boat on the reg, I was hoping some of you might take pity on me and share some places that are good for shore fishing stripers? The closer to Albany the better, but willing to travel as far south as Newburgh. I realize this might be asking a lot but i would really appreciate any help just getting started. Been pouring over these boards the last couple days and so far i've come up with HH town park and Schodack Island state park. Anywhere else that would be good for newbs?

Also, as far as shore fishing goes, how necessary are waders? Tried a couple times over the summer around Peebles island just bass fishing, but came home empty handed. Just couldn't get my line out far enough. Wondering if i'll need to invest in a set for striper season?

Thanks again! Love this community so far! I've already learned a ton.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2017, 04:41 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Default Re: Shore fishing near Albany?

Welcome aboard.

Check out the Corning Preserve ... there is a bike path that goes along the river , runs parallel with rt787 , there are a number of clearings along the way you could set up at. Might be a bit of a walk (or bike it) ... but that's closest to you. Overhead/Sat maps will get you there.

The HH park is 15mins south of the city limits. Nice park. During peak of run places get busy, so go early if you can. Make a day of it.

Enjoy

BB
Old 02-17-2017, 01:04 AM
Veteran Elite

Troy dam at night is on fire for striper mid april to mid May but it tends to get quite crowded.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:17 AM
Official Member

Thanks for the reply's folks, appreciate the help.

For the Troy dam, park on the Troy side, or the Albany side?

Also, waders, helpful or nah?
Old 02-17-2017, 09:37 PM
First Mate @ Ace Charters

Two of the best guys (of the many)on the site replied ... pay attention ! Also there is Henry Hudson Park. Up off 787 there is another park - north of Corning Preserve. Some people also offer "open seats" on there boat - so check in often during the season.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:19 PM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnutt92 View Post
Thanks for the reply's folks, appreciate the help.

For the Troy dam, park on the Troy side, or the Albany side?

Also, waders, helpful or nah?
Park at the old Ford plant on the Albany/Green Island side. Waders won't hurt.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:02 PM
Official Member

Visit Kennebunkport every year. What charter service did you use? If you don't mind me asking, How much?
Old 02-26-2017, 11:47 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hplar62 View Post
Visit Kennebunkport every year. What charter service did you use? If you don't mind me asking, How much?
We used Striker charters. Website with rates can be found here: http://www.strikercharters.com

Great outfit, would sail with them again.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:04 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnutt92 View Post
Howdy everyone. New member here, this will be my first season going for Stripers on the hudson. Took a charter out of Kennebunkport Maine over the summer and got my first striper. Been hooked since. Looking forward to gearing up soon and getting out there in the spring.

Anyway, as someone who's made poor life choices and will never have access to a boat on the reg, I was hoping some of you might take pity on me and share some places that are good for shore fishing stripers? The closer to Albany the better, but willing to travel as far south as Newburgh. I realize this might be asking a lot but i would really appreciate any help just getting started. Been pouring over these boards the last couple days and so far i've come up with HH town park and Schodack Island state park. Anywhere else that would be good for newbs?

Also, as far as shore fishing goes, how necessary are waders? Tried a couple times over the summer around Peebles island just bass fishing, but came home empty handed. Just couldn't get my line out far enough. Wondering if i'll need to invest in a set for striper season?

Thanks again! Love this community so far! I've already learned a ton.
Hey Wingutt92, Welcome to the community !!
I shore fish the Hudson at Albany, have been for Many years, I use a Penn Fierce 2 10ft.pole with the Penn Fierce2 8000 reel, with 50lb Power Pro braid and a 40lb Flourocarbon leader on the 10 and use an Ande 9ft Tournament Surf with a Penn Fierce2, 40lb Braid and 40lb leader, that's for starters.
I fish primarily lures, but have been known to use chunk early in the spring on the 10 ft with a Shimano Thunnus Cl4 Baitrunner reel, 17lb Cajun Red line.
and fish finder slide rigs.
Lures... oh boy, I got a Ton, but Anything that looks like a Herring or an Eel and Lots of casting jigs in White, Black, Chartruse at least 1 1/2oz-3oz.
I use a Mountain bike to run the bike trail, its much quicker than walking and there are Many places to fish as mentioned above.
Waders, yes, hip waders are fine, I use cheap ones(Pro-Line) from Dicks $35
and as far as fishing the Dam...yer gonna lose A lot of lures, I tie my own jigs and have been buying out the stores from Cape Cod to NY looking for Eel imitations, I have spent Hundreds of $$$ on lures but you only need a few,white jigs , large Bombers and Rapalas.
I stay right on the river for days at a time during the spring at a remote camp near the river, and fish 14-16 hrs a day, I read the Tide charts and fish them accordingly, seems better on the Outgoing.
feel free to PM me , <*)))><{

They"re Coming
I"ll be Waiting
Old 03-01-2017, 10:53 AM
Official Member

FyshhTrap, thanks for the post man. I came across your beginner posts in the Stripers 101 section a few weeks back. Quality stuff all around, really appreciate you sharing.

Love the detailed equipment advice you provided. Pretty much had my mind made up on a Penn reel. Just trying to settle on a size/model at this point. Also keeping my eye out on craigslist for a used rod/reel to use as a beater for bait fishing.

Care to elaborate on your preference on lures vs. live/chunk? I'm certain i'll loose a ton of lures learning the ropes, so hoping to stick with chunk/live for awhile to get a feel for things.