Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

why snap swivels in the surf for attaching lures?

9K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  khary23 
#1 ·
why do lots of people attach their lures with snap swivels?

sorry for starting a new topic almost imideatly after i wrote the pencil popper thread

is it a way to save line?
or dose the surf twist up youre line like a madman?

#2 ·
For those who like to change lures every other cast, it's quicker than retying. I used to do it myself, especially at night when I was fishing without light and knot tying was difficult. I've had better success since I stopped doing that. Now I tie directly, avoid the extra distracting hardware in front of the lure, and am not so hasty to change lures if I don't get a bite right away.

If you need an inline swivel, you're better off with one between your main line and your leader than one right at the lure, in my opinion.

#4 ·
No one uses snap "swivels" on any kind of lure besides metal. Duolocks and Coastlocks are usually the snap of choice with some guys now going to the Gemini clips (I still prefer duolocks). I do use the tiny 90# Spro swivel between the braid and the Flouro leader.

#5 ·
Sudsy said:
No one uses snap "swivels" on any kind of lure besides metal. Duolocks and Coastlocks are usually the snap of choice with some guys now going to the Gemini clips (I still prefer duolocks). I do use the tiny 90# Spro swivel between the braid and the Flouro leader.
Interesting discussion. What knot do you use to attach lure to leader please when not using a snap swivel? cigar.gif

#6 ·
David Napierkowski said:
Sudsy said:
Interesting discussion. What knot do you use to attach lure to leader please when not using a snap swivel? cigar.gif
FYI: snapswivel = snap + swivel. Many surfcasters just use a snap without the attached swivel. Snapswivels are often used to attach bottom fishing rigs.

FWIW, I tie direct 99% of the time. I figure it's one less thing to go wrong. I use an orvis knot to tie direct, and a non slip loop when I want the extra action.

#7 ·
David Napierkowski said:
Sudsy said:
Leader to line - Crazy Alberto knot
Line to lure - Rapala loop
Line to swivel or hook - Palomar knot or snell it the hook eye is offset.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.