Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Using snap swivels while tossing plugs????

10K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  zimno1 
#1 ·
I was wondering if it makes a difference or not using a snap swivel. I have used breakaways and other snaps while using plugs and caught fish (but did I miss any). I usually try not to use them but trying to find out what they want and only having so much time gets to be time consuming tying knots especially in the dark, cold, rain or all of the above. Your thoughts?

#2 ·
I am certainly no expert this topic, or any other for that matter, but I always use a snap swivel. It makes changing plugs so much easier as you stated before. I believe that this is another one of those personal opinion type things. Some will say yay, while others nay. Presentation is what matters the most IMHO and as long as you're working the plug the way the fishy wants you to, then they will bite. It wont matter what you got connecting the food to your line.

Bryan

#4 ·
Backbay,

It all depends on the lure..... or the mehtod you are using to fish.

Snaps ( duo lock, cross lock and coast lock) are designed to aid in quick change of a lure, some lures such as selected swimming plugs swim better with a snap, others, swim better with the line tied direct...plugs like needle fish, balsa wood swimmers and poppers almost always perform better tied direct.

swivels are to prevent line twist, the best are ball bearing swivels, spoons and trolling tubes benifit from and in line swivel, but a snap swivel doesnt deter fish or adversly affect the lure.

Snap swivels are most suited for use in bottom fishing, the rigs ang jigs are unaffected by their presense and the are a great aid to the angler for changing leaders and lures...

#6 ·
I actually used breakaways for the 1st time this year at the Cape Cod Canal. The guy at Red Top said they were great. I pulled a fish in over 20 lbs with a full cast without a problem. Not a huge fish but a nice one. I actually fought a couple really big fish that I ended up losing and no bends to the breakaway. Thats has been my experience so far only using them a few times.

#9 ·
Snap swivels - never, I don't even own any, not even for freshwater.
Snaps and swivels - always.
The snap is on one end of the leader and a tiny 90# Spro swivel is on the other. The leaders are pretied and carried in a leader wallet. When a leader needs changed due to bluefish or rough structure it's very simple to tie on a fresh one.
I use both Duolocks and BreakAways. If I know I'll be throwing bucktails and tins along with plugs I'll use Duolocks which I doctor up so they are harder for a fish to pry open (do a site search). The Breakaways are a royal pain to get on and off over the thick wire loop on a jig or tin.

#12 ·
i tie a swivel to the fluorocarbon and tie that swivel to the main line. i cut a 40 in leader (IMO) more than enough shock. if ya don;t want line twist in yer mono that is , yozuri is what i got on my cabo now and same fluoro (sorry roc, i busted it out but will bring some with me in the summer when i come up) seems the idea suds has is good as i would just change the leader instead of cutting frayed part off and shortening it up as i don;t do that often but would if i was desperate (to spook a fish that is)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.